+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, capturing an imageof windows 7 on wds in Technical; we have just got a copy of windows 7 pro RTM and now looking into how easy it would be ...
    Thank Post

capturing an imageof windows 7 on wds

we have just got a copy of windows 7 pro RTM and now looking into how easy it would be to change our network over to all server 2008 R2 and windows 7 pro. So i was given the task of creating a machine to then image, i am using a dell optiplex 745.i installed all the software onto the machine then ran sysprep it restarted then i went into our capture but it wasn't showing that i could capture the C:\ any ideas?

Thank Post
    Did you tick the 'Generalize' box? Doesn't work on our Dell 760's unless we do. Be warned, you can only sysprep the image 3 times with the 'Generalize' option as it resets the grace period for activation.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    Did you tick the 'Generalize' box?
    there isn't a 'Generalize' box to tick, i am using the windows 7 sysprep and all it does is run then restarts the machine, i think that it might be the sysprep that im using, but if i use the one that came with windows xp, the machine losses key files and can cause explorer.exe to become curpted.

Thank Post
    You using the sysprep in the System32 folder?

Should look like this (Windows 7 Pro)

Thank Post
    yes i am using the one in the system32 folder, but i am not recieving that box.
    Last edited by thesk8rjesus; 6th October 2009 at 10:41 AM.

Thank Post
    You might want to check to see how your Windows 7 installation partitioned the disk when you did your original setup.

We had the same problem with the RC during testing and then with the 7 Enterprise image we used after RTM. Initially I just put it down to the new OS being beta, then my lack of understanding of it but when I looked at the installation in more detail, I noticed that the initial OS setup had created TWO partitions on the disk: a 100Mb or so boot partition, and then the rest of the disk partitioned for the system.

I think the WDS capture boot image - even if you update your boot images off the Windows 7 DVD - doesn't seem to understand this configuration, so it fails.

I assumed in our case that Windows 7 setup had pre-created the seperate partition to enable bitlocker, even though we haven't actually turned it on yet, because my reference PC had a TPM module in it but now I'm not so sure as every WDS installation we do of our final 7 image does the same on any PC around school - TPM equipped or not.

How are you building your initial image? I guess you could use the unattended.xml file to force it into a single partition but we found that using SCCM to create the initial installation would stick the OS into a single partition irrespective of the reference PC hardware, and then we could capture into WDS normally and deploy from that point on.

Curiously, WDS installs it back into two partitions - but our initial reference image is built by SCCM in a single partition that WDS seems quite happy to capture afterwards.

Is that any help to you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 1,416 Posts

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread