+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Sophos Network Install on Windows 7 in Technical; I can't get it to install over the network at all, until I set the client to 'Use user accounts ...
    Thank Post
    I can't get it to install over the network at all, until I set the client to 'Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers' in the Home or Work area of the HomeGroup settings. It's annoying, as there don't appear to be any GPO settings related to this and I changed it on the image prior to sysprep. Granted, I'm not using the new console yet, or even the newer AV because BGfL are still looking at it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Got it running and migrating machines in batches. Seems fine ok. The only thing I had to do on the the couple of Windows 7 Machines was to enable Remote Registry Service and then Sophos installed with no issues.

Pete
    Cheers, that fixed it for me. Should be an easy thing to do via GP when we start deploying actual Windows 7 machines. *Ticks another piece of software off list*

Thank Post
    A little tip to hopefully save someone going through the same grief I've just had, we couldn't get the Enterprise Console to force the AV and firewall down to a new Lenovo Laptop running win 7 pro - followed all the instructions above, including the detailed instructions from Sophos all to no avail. We also found that we couldn't access the laptop from any other networked machine (only got ping response). Checked and double checked all the networking settings in the Network and Sharing Centre etc. Finally traced it back to File and Print Sharing not being enabled for our wired connection (from the sharing Centre, click on "change adaptor settings" right click on your connection -> properties then tick "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks").

God knows why this wasn't enabled when we set file sharing on in the nice windows 7 wizard, but that was the cause of our woes. Once it was enabled, Sophos installed perfectly.

Thank Post
    Well, I've not been able to devote much time to this today but earlier (just before lunchtime) I reinstalled Sophos on a client machine again. I've just remoted back into the machine and Sophos is running and updating OK.

Now what I did on this PC was to run the uninstall script kindly posted on here earlier followed by a reinstall of Sophos - that didn't work, same as before. In fact it was worse in that Sophos was now completely disabled on the machine in question! So in a fit of annoyance I simply manually ran the install again from the server, not via the console, it installed OK and is still running three hours later.

So when I get a chance I'll pick another error'd machine and do the same thing, see what happens there.

Re: Dickens' post, I did double check but File and Printer sharing is enabled already.

Thanks to everyone who's posted on here so far!

Thank Post
    Well it's still working on the machine I alluded to in my last post so when I'm next on site there I'll try the same procedure on all machines.

Be nice to know what caused it though.

And I've not heard a peep from Sophos support!

Thank Post
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to to set this setting other than going to each machine and doing it?

Homegroup connections – ‘Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers’

I'm 100% sure I set it to this on the image before hand, but it makes no difference. Can't find any GPO related settings either I don't want to go to all our machines! I can't deploy otherwise, i've enabled it on one or two just to check and once changed Sophos deploys fine.

Thank Post

Thumbs up Result!

Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    How are people getting on with this? I have enterprise console 4 installed and can deploy fine to XP machines, but our Window 7 machines ignore any attempts to deploy it. Do we still have to faff about with the settings that we were required to do with the previous version of sophos?
    Hey guys, with Win7 you defo need to set the remote registry to Automatic start then start the service. Also you need to make sure your domain/standalone firewall settings are set to allow file and printer sharing. That all.

Best wishes.

Thank Post
    Thanks, I've also discovered that you need to set the firewall up as per this knowledge base article
    Sophos Anti-Virus v 7 and Sophos Client Firewall v 1.5: support on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

or turn it off totally, but that is a bit of a cop out :P

Thank Post
    This caught me out too - I manually started remote registry to get sophos installed.
    I have the firewall of by default so that did nt affect me...

I just wonder if I can put the remote registry setting back on Manual once it's installed....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12