+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 - HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT in Technical; The thing is - if they simply just kept adding new things on top of the old, the system would ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing is - if they simply just kept adding new things on top of the old, the system would become larger and larger and bloated. They would then have to support a system with loads of different interfaces etc... both in terms of technical support and in terms of security updates etc...

It makes no sense for MS to keep everything in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The thing is - if they simply just kept adding new things on top of the old, the system would become larger and larger and bloated. They would then have to support a system with loads of different interfaces etc... both in terms of technical support and in terms of security updates etc...

It makes no sense for MS to keep everything in.
    Not the same principle as what apple did with dropping PPC support with snow leopard but a similiar type of thing with regards to not keeping everything in.

Thank Post
    I love the new interface and the fact that it now performs even better than windows XP on similar hardware.

The only thing I'm not liking is the fact that because of the way the new taskbar (which is awesome btw!) works you're sometimes not sure if an app you've minimised to the system tray is still running as it doesn't show up on the taskbar.
    That and I HATE the way MSN messenger now appears as 2 screens in the taskbar. One for the logged on user and one for the actual app window. IMO it would have made more sense to have somekind of customised 'right-click' or 'mouse-over' jump window to display that.

In fact if it wasn't for legacy purposes they could probably have done away with the system tray altogether actually as it's noticeable that there's a lot of overlap between what it and the new task bar do.

Thank Post
    I rebuilt my old Dell XPS M1710 with Windows 7 Professional RTM last Thursday and itís fantastic. No really, itís a dream to use and seems to have given my machine a new lease of life.

Itís not that I had any problems with poor embattled Vista Business, which served me well for almost three years. It was time for a rebuild and I thought I might as well install the latest to satisfy my inner geek.

Thank Post

i'm glad you like the new interface

i'm glad you like the new interface, but........
    what if you have a special disability that means you need a particular machine, or cluster of machines setup so that you can use your input devices to control it?
    As microsh@ft have ( seemingly ) removed the ability to setup a local default user profile, (which all users get when they logon to that machine), anyone with special needs is discriminated against.

Does anyone know if you can set up a local default user in windows 7, from my early testing in summer it seemed impossible ?.

Thank Post
    I didn't like the new "mystery meat" interface, I think that it's definitely necessary to have a choice between that and text labels. Some people respond to visual stuff, pictures, so icons on their own are great, but someone like me gets pictures mixed up. I need text labels, or it takes me 3 times as long to find what I'm looking for!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I didn't like the new "mystery meat" interface, I think that it's definitely necessary to have a choice between that and text labels. Some people respond to visual stuff, pictures, so icons on their own are great, but someone like me gets pictures mixed up. I need text labels, or it takes me 3 times as long to find what I'm looking for!
    Microsoft comes full circle again with there new release of windows and those bugs are not really bugs there just * ahem * new special features

A marmite thing for sure

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    A marmite thing for sure
    Mate... I think that's the most diplomatic thing you've ever said!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    It's an interface, It's a tool to do a job.

It's had the same design since 1995, a design that was perfectly fine for well over a decade. It wasn't broke so why suddenly "fix" it now?

By all means add new features, new security, new tools to make life easier. But why change - or remove - the interface which everyone is familiar with?
    See, if more people thought like that we'd be working with papyrus scrolls still instead of books.

Change isn't necessarily a good thing, but should be considered on its own rather than as automatically a bad thing. I notice that most of the comments against the new interface only have the complaint that its unfamiliar, or a change, whereas most of the positive comments say that its more efficient, or makes tasks easier.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I put the new style start menu along with the pathetic ribbon they stuck in Office. Waste of bleeding time.....Improves the user experience ? Tripe - just means I can't find anything without having to click 50 million times on some tabs....
    I'm all for change but all these new fangled effects are nothing more than pure eye candy. If they put in as much effort into how the actual OS runs / responds etc etc then it may be ok - thing is yet again it needs a 10 zillion meg GX card, a CPU with more cores on than combined planets of the universe, and a motherboard that is nothing more than a glorified housing estate for the amount of memory you need to stick on it.
    In the realms of computing / power / OS's, to me it's all going backwards, certainly not forwards as schools are forced to up-grade to these new PCs just to run the OS.
    /ANOTHER RANT OVER

IBM had it right with WARP / LAN SERVER and OS/2 verions 3 & 4.
    Microsoft have NEVER got it right, and they never will. [ Sorry wrong, - they did get something right - the Altair BASIC language - after that it's all poo poo in my opinion ]
    Last edited by mattx; 17th September 2009 at 02:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Windows Classic FTW. Same applies in XP and Vista...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I put the new style start menu along with the pathetic ribbon they stuck in Office. Waste of bleeding time.....Improves the user experience ? Tripe - just means I can't find anything without having to click 50 million times on some tabs....
    It took me about five minutes to puzzle out the new ribbon, very similar to things like the old Delphi interface and a lot more sensible than cramming up the screen with hundreds upon hundreds of toolbars. I don't think I've found anything which requires more than three clicks: one to the right tab, second to the button, third to the individual command if I want something more specific.

I'm all for change but all these new fangled effects are nothing more than pure eye candy. If they put in as much effort into how the actual OS runs / responds etc etc then it may be ok - thing is yet again it needs a 10 zillion meg GX card, a CPU with more cores on than combined planets of the universe, and a motherboard that is nothing more than a glorified housing estate for the amount of memory you need to stick on it.
    In the realms of computing / power / OS's, to me it's all going backwards, certainly not forwards as schools are forced to up-grade to these new PCs just to run the OS.
    ...um...its running on my old laptop, a very battered, fairly low-specced machine. In fact I have a netbook which has more power than that laptop. And it runs just fine thanks. Vista meanwhile used to barely crawl along. I'd say that's a step forwards.

Take a deep breath. Step away from the computer for a bit. Go watch a film, or play football in the park. You seem to be heading for some sort of breakdown.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    You seem to be heading for some sort of breakdown
    What another one ? Darn it.......

Thank Post
    The thing that puzzles me is Apple tend to force changes on users, yet they are applauded for it (rightly so IMO as it keeps us moving forward). Microsoft have the audacity to change a 15 year old interface and they get slated... No its not perfect, but neither is the dock in OSX.

What i would like to see is a well designed dock/taskbar which will go on the left or right of the screen just as well as the bottom. We all have widescreen monitors now and it wastes alot of space on what is already the smaller dimention.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 17th September 2009 at 05:25 PM.

Thank Post
    I love windows 7.. been using the different released for awhile now..

currently running on the final release Candidate.. and my COmputer has never run better.. Vista was a Hog.. 7 runs like a dream..

I like the new taskbar design.. and the way the folder system is layed out..

all the complainers will get used to it..

remember when XP was jsut about to come out.. its Blue and Green Task bar scared us, and its Double start menu.. we got used to that.. and this is just the next stage.. its evolving.. move with it..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast