+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 - HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT in Technical; I hated the new start menu at first, and missed the old style, but once you start using it!...everything just ...
    Thank Post
    I hated the new start menu at first, and missed the old style, but once you start using it!...everything just clicks and im used to it now!
    I couldn’t agree more. The only reason to use the classic start menu it to aid users but they really need to be retrained to use the new menu it’s so much more efficient. I find going back to the classic menu to be a very frustrating experience now.

I really didn't gel with Vista I used it on my work PC for a few months but then went back to XP. 7 seems to of sorted most of my initial issues plus most software now works with Vista/7 which was not the case when I used the Vista RTM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    What I don't understand though is why remove it? What benefit is there in removing the "classic" interface, other than to just wind up people? It's like the way they changed the name of "Add / Remove Programs".

We techies have worked on the Windows interface for many years and instinctively know where something should be. Why do we have to waste our time and effort "learning" something new when it's not new at all.

I was discussing Office 2007 with a colleague from another school. They were saying how they'd put on some program or feature to make it look just like Office 2003. Which raises the question - why?

If you're going to the effort of installing Office 2007, doing everything that you could do in Office 2003, and making it look like Office 2003, what was the point in the first place?
    You do realise you've just contradicted yourself. On one hand you're saying that they shouldn't change things, and remove old stuff because people are used to it, then on the other you're saying why buy new stuff if you want it to look like the old stuff...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got W7 RC1 on a laptop at home to play around with & at first everything was hunky-dory. Now it runs like a slug and the machine is still in its vanilla state, with only Windows updates applied since the install. At first I though it was a problem with the machine's hardware, but it runs Ubuntu at the speed of light & Windows XP a quickstep as well. Put W7 RC1 back on and it's okay for a few weeks then slows right down again. Tried all the latest and greatest drivers, etc. Thought I'd try another laptop (different spec Tosh) and the same thing happened but not as bad. Anyone else seen this happen?

Thank Post
    Anyone else seen this happen?
    No and I've had it installed on my NC10 since I got my hands on it. What hardware are you running it on?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've also had Windows 7 on my NC10 for ages and it runs brilliantly. I wouldn't dream of trying Vista on it.

Thank Post
    I have really enjoyed getting to grips with Windows 7 and have found it to be a vast improvment over Windows Vista.

Yes there are changes that you need to get used to. now I am finding that I work in a different way and the search option for files has meant that I dont have to go trauwling through all of my files to just find the one that I need.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I love the new taskbar! so much better once you get used to it ofcourse plus i get to just have most of my apps there! rather then it being clogged with long programme bars :P keeps me desktop free of shortcut's too.. hehe

as for the start menu, i used to like the classic start menu but to be honest you just learn to get used to it and its not that bad
    Quoted for truth

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You do realise you've just contradicted yourself. On one hand you're saying that they shouldn't change things, and remove old stuff because people are used to it, then on the other you're saying why buy new stuff if you want it to look like the old stuff...
    I saw that logic fail too, I had to re-read the post twice to make sure I was seeing it correctly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love the new bar. The ability to close programs without maximising them first, to jump to a particular open windows in a running program (very handy with Outlook) and the sheer crispness and responsiveness of it all make it far in advance of Vista.
    Oh, and the open file dialog box with it's option to browse recent folders and libraries is such a timesaver.

Thank Post
    When I first installed the RC I changed all the taskbar to small icons with text labels so it looked like my Vista machine... then after a day or two thought "hmmm well they've put all this design in so I should give it a bash" and over the next week or so started getting used to it and installing the RTM tonight now I've got some motivation back to sort out my home PCs

Vista did the same on my home PC, started like lightning and I thought "hmm it's proving me wrong, just needed good hardware after all" then after a few weeks it went back to the slug-like speeds we all know and hate! All seems to be caused by excessive disk IO, hammering the slowest part of the system is always gonna end in tears and I really really really hope 7 doesn't start doing the same (in the RC tests it was a lot better than Vista on that front)

One odd thing about the Start Menu and this sounds so lame but it really bugs me... there's no icon on the Shut Down button and it looks so unfinished... as a bit of a graphic \ UI design obsessive it's like an itch I can't scratch everytime I click the Start Menu!

"The ability to close programs without maximising them first"

Umm, I never do that lol, just right click the taskbar button and hit close from the context menu? Saying that I close programs the old 3.1 way by double clicking the program icon in the top left or using Alt+Space then close from the keyboard lol

Thank Post
    I don't get it, what exactly do you want Microsoft to do? If they can't change anything they may as well not bother making new OS's and stuck with the Windows 3.1 GUI. If they listened to all these "I hate change" people then the product would eventually just die

If you say offer you a choice, you have to remember that whist MS may be massive, they can't really justify the resources forever to continue to support the old way of doing things.

Like it or lump it, IT changes and there's not a thing you can do about it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ahh get you now gibbo. I suppose its like every change tbh, some love, some hate but we all have to get used to it otherwise nothing every changes.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    No and I've had it installed on my NC10 since I got my hands on it. What hardware are you running it on?
    A Tosh Tecra that's less than 6 months old.

Thank Post
    I think it's more the case of taking stuff out that they could easily have lifted from Vista with no major programming effort required... give the users the choice unless it's a stupid choice like running Windows 95 drivers on Windows 7

I still think they made more enemies than friends by moving the UI around, look at it from a user point of view who's not technical and had a Wind 98 then XP PC, no real need for them to be relearning the UI as to many people it's where you click rather than actually reading what you're clicking

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I think it's more the case of taking stuff out that they could easily have lifted from Vista with no major programming effort required... give the users the choice unless it's a stupid choice like running Windows 95 drivers on Windows 7
    yeah but... why should they? The classic startmenu hasn't been the default since Windows XP and you had to go out of your way to change it (so the average user didn't), so it's clear that they eventually intended to get rid of it.
    It makes it way easier from an MS support perspective to only have one start menu to support and test changes against.

Forgive me if I sound like a prick, it's just the "That's not the way it used to be" argument drives me insane.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast