+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Random missing shortcuts in Technical; Since moving to Windows 7 RTM, we've noticed an issue with shortcuts created on the desktop. Most of our staff ...

Thank Post

Random missing shortcuts

Since moving to Windows 7 RTM, we've noticed an issue with shortcuts created on the desktop.

Most of our staff run a redirected desktop, and this works fine.

However, the handful of staff who don't have a redirected desktop have started to notice that shortcuts they create on their desktops seem to randomly disappear.

For instance, I have shortcuts to monitoring spreadsheets stored in my home drive on mine - and I noticed this morning that all of them had disappeared.

In the past I've seen that a shortcut I created to Administration Tools in control panel had "wandered off" all on its own and I just assumed I had accidentally deleted it without thinking but with my spreadsheet shortcuts disappearing this morning, I'm thinking again - especially as it has been mentioned by another member of staff too.

Is anyone else seeing this? It's fairly random and sporadic at the moment but regular enough to be noticed (if that makes sense!).

Log on and log off seems to proceed normally. We are all Windows 7 RTM clients, with a mixed Server 2008 / 2008 R2 domain. The server storing the profiles is a 2008 R2 box.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
    Last edited by TheCrust; 9th September 2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo. D'oh!

Thank Post
    We upgraded our 2 domain controllers to 2008r2 over the summer. I've had a few issues with NTFS permissions changing on the drives hosting staff data. We've also had a number of other issues and I can't blame them all on R2. It has been really hard to pinpoint the issues as we've had a number of problems at the same time.

Part of me is now wishing I had waited till SP1 of R2 and as much as I love Windows 7 I may wait till SP1 or at least untill there are a number of Windows Updates available.

The users you have that are not using folder redirection, are they using roaming profiles instead?

Thank Post
    Yes.

All users that do not have a redirected desktop / startmenu have normal roaming profiles. Those users with normal roaming profiles only constitutes a minority of staff so it's not an amazing show-stopper, but it's an annoying niggle I would like to get to the bottom of.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread