+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows Users - The Charlie Browns of Computing: Windows 7 Vs Linux in Technical; This blog outlines the opinion of one person with regard to Windows 7 Vs Linux: Windows Users - The Charlie ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 926 Posts
    Blog Entries

Windows Users - The Charlie Browns of Computing: Windows 7 Vs Linux

This blog outlines the opinion of one person with regard to Windows 7 Vs Linux:

Windows Users - The Charlie Browns of Computing

The author is obviously heavily anti Windows and pro Linux:

Sadly, the majority of you will end up flat on your back again,[a Charlie Brown reference] blaming the computer, blaming the software...

Blaming everything but the real problem.

The Windows Operating System controlling the computer.
    However I think the article is worth a read even for the hardened Windows fans among us.

Thank Post
    Yawn that reads like the comments section on the register, why can't these people just accept that some people are ok with paying for an OS they're comfortable with and get on with sorting out a decent interface for linux then come back

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's some of the most misinformed rubbish I've seen in a LONG time.
    It doesn't take a genius (believe it or not, I'm certified as one of those - although should be certified for something else entirely ) to fully realise that if Linux was the desktop system of choice in place of Windows in most homes and offices, Linux would also have to go through the same endless loop of patching, anti viral systems, spyware issues etc etc.

I heavily use both, and love both, among other OS's. I dislike people of a certain standing taking such a biased view without really backing it up. If you're going to list pro's and con's, you need to look at both side - not just the cons of the competition and the pro's of your own.

Thank Post
    Hypocrite - "You would rather listen to the false misconceptions about other operating systems and find comfort in that ignorance" - A funny statement considering that's EXACTLY what the article is doing, providing false misconceptions about other operating systems, namely Windows.

A shame, Helios always used to be not to bad or a OSS blog.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    ... if Linux was the desktop system of choice in place of Windows in most homes and offices, Linux would also have to go through the same endless loop of patching, anti viral systems, spyware issues etc etc.
    Why would it?

Your assertion to that extent simply isn't true, because Unix and Linux were built as multi-user and secure operating systems from the start - not bolted on as an after-thought (like in Windows). I think you might also be forgetting the millions of Unix and Linux servers that exist on the internet, that don't have "endless loops" of patching or spyware problems or a requirement for anti-virus software.

Windows' lack of security has made it so easy for those sort of problems to exist.
    Last edited by webman; 31st August 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    webman: Oh, I'm fully aware of the implementations of the various unix derivatives, more than some people will ever know. What I meant was verging a little towards (but not too much) the security through obscurity thing. If 90% of users were running Linux and only a minority of these end users used windows, the nasty buggers in their bedrooms and mother's basements would be spending their dole-money and otherwise wasted time working through exploits, finding holes, finding ways to create holes, and using them, or selling the knowledge for others to use them, just as it's being done now. And of course let's not forget any computers weakest security component; the user. A huge majority of malicious software requires input from a gullible or unaware user, something that can, with very little effort skip past every single security device on the market. Because, the user has asked for it.

There *are* current exploits for *nix systems, just as there are for it's cousins and Windows alike. They will be patched up by tomorrow, then new ones found. It will be endless. The biggest difference with the *nix world is the openness of it all, and we can all be thankful that the good vs evil balance here is firmly tipped into the "good" category.

My gripe here is with misinformation, one of the biggest reasons I really, really despise Apple. Difference here is that generally, Linux is damned good - there's no two ways about it, but it's not a majority and therefore there's little gain in people exploiting it. And then of course where there is gain (large corporate, government etc) - there have been people working round systems and will always be. Always start with the simple issue though - the object sitting between keyboard and vdu

Thank Post
    Your assertion to that extent simply isn't true, because Unix and Linux were built as multi-user and secure operating systems from the start - not bolted on as an after-thought (like in Windows).
    Remember that Windows is a brand name, the NT line was designed (by Dave Cutler) as a multi-user secure operating system from the start unfortunately trying to make it compatible with DOS created the problems. I'm not comparing nix and windows just pointing out that they both (NT) had similar design goals.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm a gamer. Until Linux is capable of letting me install a game and play it straight away, it doesn't meet my personal needs.

That isn't to say it won't be suitable for business use. There are many times at work I wish I had a Bash Shell for copying large quantities of files or other tasks. And Linux generally feels right to use. But installing Linux took hours if not days of settings up and tinkering and I still had to pay to get my games working with Cedega. Windows 7 took enough time to install nVidia Drivers and my Antivirus. Minutes.

Windows 7 has pushed the bar further for home desktop use that Linux has a long way to reach up and grab. I wish them well, but they are too business focused for the home market.

Thank Post
    Had a few attempts with Linux, particularly when I first got my first-gen eeePC but in the end all the machines were converted back into Windows... might try again in a while but Linux never feels "there" in terms of UI and design... personal view and I'm sure others will disagree.

Windows 7 install the other day... from boot CD to desktop with all drivers autodetected in 15 minutes... that's impressive imo.

It does make a great firewall base with IPCop though

Tbh I find the OS is less of a problem now than the applications that run on it... yes Adobe I mean you and your endless bugs and patches and so on... doesn't matter what OS those are running on... bring on app virtualisation

Or alternatively you could believe none of this matters as everything will be cloud-ed soon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread