+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 deployments - who's "doing it" then? in Technical; Now Windows 7 has been on release to Software Assurance customers for a fortnight or so, and there's been the ...

Thank Post

Win 7 deployments - who's "doing it" then?

Now Windows 7 has been on release to Software Assurance customers for a fortnight or so, and there's been the Education Event at Reading (which I couldn't make because I was too busy trying - with some futility I noticed - to beat Richards!) who here has deployed - or is in the process of deploying - Windows 7 to their networks this summer?

I know Alan @ West Hatch has, and I completed my own desktop deployment earlier today.

So, who else is in the process of deployment or has completed already?

Thank Post
    We're waiting til our new native server 2008 setup is done and dusted before moving into Win7. I'm rather jealous of those that are.

Hopefully this winter we'll do a suite or two...

Thank Post
    I'd love to move to it, but until our software is officially supported (Sims/Sophos) I'm kinda stuck. It doesn't stop us preparing for it tho.
    We've moved to 2008 R2 on our Domain controllers.

Thank Post
    We've done it - though until WSUS SP2 is released its caused a few problems as some PCs arent getting driver updates (sodding Sysprep's Generalize)

Very easy and no issues as we did have with Vista..

Only software that doesnt run is FMS, though solved this by using RemoteApps...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Very envious of the AAARGHs from teaching staff on day one of term.

I am looking and thinking hard about a Christmas roll out, would be very interesting, need to try the range of our hardware.

Anyone got it running on AMD Sempron 3000+s with 512mb ram at all, or Athlon XP 2400+ with 512mb ram?

Thank Post
    We have rolled it out through WDS to around 600 Machines. We are hoping to have all 1500 done by the end of the month.

To be honest, its not been that difficult, but then again we are moving from Vista to 7 and not XP to 7.

We have created a base image

Win 7 Pro (Used Pro incase we need to use MAK for any reason)
    Office 2007 SP2
    Visual Studio 2008
    Pretty comprehensive list of pre-requisities (C++, .NET's, Adobe Reader ect....)

Seems OK so far, the curriculum staff that are using it love it!

P.S - The problem with WSUS and driver updates isn't affecting us. We dont tend to upgrade drivers, if they work in the current version, why risk upgrading?

Bedz

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rolling out with Win 7, Server 2008 R2, and Office 2007. Putting Virtual XP on the machines so that the kids can run some of there programs.

Thank Post
    Just tarted the testing stage, have an image prepared and will probably deploy in the next holiday period. the head has given the go-ahead to purchase the required licenses but I still need more time to test all the antiquated apps we have here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I must admit I'm a little surprised anyone would want to deploy this quickly. At least across an whole site. A single 'test' suite would make some sense. I see changing the OS for the entire site as a Summer job, so 2010 would be the earliest.

Actually I'm holding off till 2011 because I want to get Server 08 R2 and virtualisation in first. I can't believe Nephilim is rolling out all three (server, os and office) at the same time!

Maybe I'm just being over cautious. I am a little envious of those that this works for now.

Thank Post
    Well you are probably right tmcd35 about the quickness of deployment, but we have been on XP for better part of a decade and feel we must move forward. The decision to go into 7 now is primarily because we did not deploy vista and we have all new equipment installed this summer. Sure we may lose some antiquated apps but management here accepted that and want to move on. In 2 years time I think you will be way out of step with what the pupils and staff will be using at home. I know thats not essentially a problem but to be in step with the community is a good thing.

Thank Post
    Different problem here as we actually train people how to use the OS, apps etc so until 7 is mainstream we can't go to it... also need training materials to be updated etc.

We also need new servers as I would want to run 7 with 2008 R2 server so looking a good year or two away for us yet I'd guess... might go for it on our Office PCs though as we've had it running on one of them since the early RCs

The funny thing is we've got no trouble on the desktop side... those machines would eat up 7, especially the new E8400 boxes as they've got native support for XP mode as well

Thank Post
    As with mbedford and gatt, we were a Vista school before so I would say early adoption for us has been less about bravery and more about logical progression, especially as the timing fitted in very nicely with a massive desktop replenishment programme.

Moving to Win 7 has provided no great technical challenges for us in terms of deployment: we know the desktop hardware supports it and we have a fair idea of what to expect from our experiences with Vista and the 7 Beta and RC's we've been using across school so far.

From a user perspective, the look-and-feel is at least similar enough to Vista to prevent us giving even the least IT literate staff heart attacks at the start of next month!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suppose for a Windows Vista school, 7 is a natural progression that could go quiet smoothly even this early. Unfortunately I have the time/money problem - not enough of either.

I agree that 2 years from now is perhaps too long a wait but time and money say other whys I may look at a bit of phased roll out next year though, to prep everyone for the "big switch over".

Thank Post
    I Wish we could move over to 7 or even Vista but the mere mention of either OS makes the boss and senior tech scowl in my general direction!! Just like so many others stuck in the past. if they had their way we would all be using 98 or worse a Dragon 32.

Thank Post
    We intend to go with 7 from September.

However, I'm a bit stuck with the mandatory profile bit as the old "Copy To" button is greyed out.

It's the only thing that's standing in the way right now as we have the image, deployment and policies ready.

(Hi btw, first time posting in these parts!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast