+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, some win 7 annoyances in Technical; is there a way to stop it from automatically maximizing any windows i happen to place in the top right ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

some win 7 annoyances

is there a way to stop it from automatically maximizing any windows i happen to place in the top right of the screen. Also, I cant seem to get skype or MSN to minimize to the system tray and get them off the main taskbar when they are running.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have had the MSN problem, when you right click the program in the task bar then click close it closes the whole program.

Another problem i have found... RDP into a Server 2008 R2 machine, when i rename a group policy if i use the letter T it just quits

Thank Post
    For MSN, right click the shortcut, and go to Properties, then click the Compatibility tab, choose Windows Vista, and it'll sit where it should in the notification area. You will need to customize the notification area icons so it will always be displayed. "Show icon and notifcations" is what your after. Not used Skype but you could try that method aswell?

One thing to note, if you have MSN or Skype pinned to the taskbar then they will still appear even with this workaround in use due to how the superbar now works.

The following gets rid of the Aero Snap feature which maximizes windows pulled to the edges of the screen>

Start>search for Ease of Access Center then choose "Make it easier to focus on tasks", scroll down to "Make it easier to manage Windows" and tick the box relating to "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen".
    Last edited by originofsymmetry; 16th August 2009 at 04:52 PM.

4. Thanks to originofsymmetry from:

RabbieBurns (16th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by originofsymmetry View Post
    For MSN, right click the shortcut, and go to Properties, then click the Compatibility tab, choose Windows Vista, and it'll sit where it should in the notification area. You will need to customize the notification area icons so it will always be displayed. "Show icon and notifcations" is what your after. Not used Skype but you could try that method aswell?

One thing to note, if you have MSN or Skype pinned to the taskbar then they will still appear even with this workaround in use due to how the superbar now works.

The following gets rid of the Aero Snap feature which maximizes windows pulled to the edges of the screen>

Start>search for Ease of Access Center then choose "Make it easier to focus on tasks", scroll down to "Make it easier to manage Windows" and tick the box relating to "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen".
    Thanks, thats worked for MSN and the auto-maximize. I had skype pinned so I could use it like the Quicklaunch, is there an alternative to pinning - is there a quicklaunch ?

Also, I cant seem to find a working OpenVPN that says it will work on x64 win7?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Thanks, thats worked for MSN and the auto-maximize. I had skype pinned so I could use it like the Quicklaunch, is there an alternative to pinning - is there a quicklaunch ?
    Quick launch can be re-added to the superbar if you wish, do the following:

Right Click on the superbar>Toolbars>New Toolbar.

Paste this into the window: "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" (without quotes) and OK. Next unlock the taskbar in the usual fashion and shimmy the quick launch bar to your preferred area.

Right click on the word Quick Launch and untick "Show text" and "Show title" and there you go.

Personally I find it easier to disable the whole grouping option when using a trackpad on a laptop. To do this, right click the Superbar and choose Properties, then on the Taskbar Buttons area, choose "Never Combine" from the drop down list.

Can't help with OpenVPN though.
    Last edited by originofsymmetry; 16th August 2009 at 05:23 PM.

7. 2 Thanks to originofsymmetry:

RabbieBurns (16th August 2009), srochford (16th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by originofsymmetry View Post
    Quick launch can be re-added to the superbar if you wish, do the following:

Right Click on the superbar>Toolbars>New Toolbar.

Paste this into the window: "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" (without quotes) and OK. Next unlock the taskbar in the usual fashion and shimmy the quick launch bar to your preferred area.

Right click on the word Quick Launch and untick "Show text" and "Show title" and there you go.

Personally I find it easier to disable the whole grouping option when using a trackpad on a laptop. To do this, right click the Superbar and choose Properties, then on the Taskbar Buttons area, choose "Never Combine" from the drop down list.

Can't help with OpenVPN though.
    Had already figured out the combine bit, one of my annoyances even with xp was the grouping of items.

Thanks for the tips, its much more useable now.

Just need to get the rest of my hardware working now.. Whats the cances of the misisng frivers beeing in the RTM that are not in te RC?

Thank Post
    Had already figured out the combine bit, one of my annoyances even with xp was the grouping of items.

Thanks for the tips, its much more useable now.

Just need to get the rest of my hardware working now.. Whats the cances of the misisng frivers beeing in the RTM that are not in te RC?
    On tmy old latop the RC did not have drivers for the broadcom wireless, whereas the RTM does, but I'd suggest it may be pot luck on whether they are built in. Hopefully manufacturer's will do their job and get some out

10. Thanks to originofsymmetry from:

RabbieBurns (20th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I seem to be misisng a fair few - memory card reader, fingeprint reader, cant get audio in to work, webcam, etc. Considering it shipped with vista, I would have thought they might have worked using the vista drivers... Im not sure if its coz Im running win7 in 64bit might stop the old vista drivers working?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I seem to be misisng a fair few - memory card reader, fingeprint reader, cant get audio in to work, webcam, etc. Considering it shipped with vista, I would have thought they might have worked using the vista drivers... Im not sure if its coz Im running win7 in 64bit might stop the old vista drivers working?
    Have you tried Vista x64 drivers?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    dont think there are any, the website only has vista or xp downgrade, will have a search in the morning.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What machine is it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sony Vaio VGN-TZ27GN

THe model numbers on the vaio I have found to be region specific - this was purchased in Japan and is listed as asia - pacific. But theres a UK and also a US model the exact same, just not sure of their model numbers.

Its a November 07 purchase of the 11.1" Compact Business laptop thing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm, dont know enough about Sony machine etc....

Have you tried running Windows Update to see if they are on there?

Also i would try finding some Vista x64 drivers on google from another site.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ill give google a go in the morning. Will also upgrade to the RTM as soon as I can get somewhere with enough bandwidth to get it down, windows update didnt bring in anything.

edit: just ran it again and WU found a couple, will see how that goes..
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 16th August 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Hmmmm, dont know enough about Sony machine etc....
    I reckon you do - everyone knows Sony is a complete nightmare when it comes to drivers :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast