+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Oh dear, my Windows 7 won't install in Technical; Microsoft have set their double standards yet again - first I run the upgrade advisor - it says all is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

Oh dear, my Windows 7 won't install

Microsoft have set their double standards yet again - first I run the upgrade advisor - it says all is well - NO PROBLEM !! Go ahead and install over the top of my Vista Ultimate....

So I backup and make a start, then it falls over with my Trend AV and Acronis software - no problem, I'll uninstall those which I do. The Acronis states I need a re-boot so I re-boot, I then get a BSOD - something to do with the Windows 7 install files ? Hmmmm - anyway I get backup with the good old Last Good Config and try again. This time I don't get the Acronis error but it says I still have the Trend software installed !! I double check, Errrr no, I double check the registry entries, errrrrrrr no - Could it be the ActiveX component I use for the Web Console ? I doubt it, have you ever heard of an ActiveX component causing an OS not to install ? Naaaaah me too.
    So I can't be bothered to install it, I am no way going to format and re-install, it would take me weeks to get all my software and settings back to how I like it so unless I have to it's a no no for Windows 7 for me. [ At work ]
    I'll install it as a Virtual PC but will have to stick with VISTA for the time being or until MS get something right.....

Thank Post
    Ah just get rid, a clean computer is therapeutic it tidy's the sole....

3. Thanks to riskyburden from:

CPLTD (12th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by riskyburden View Post
    Ah just get rid, a clean computer is therapeutic it tidy's the sole....
    You are of course 100% right, but all that re-installing of software........just makes me feel ill....

Thank Post
    That's what holiday should be used for in a techie world

Thank Post
    Bet you don't really need or use half of it. Visit Filehippo, update using freeware or open source from the site and then whack a few other apps on and you are done!!! They even have a updater to remind you of new versions.

I used to back everything up and it would take yonks to reinstall, now i just install stuff as and when i need it from software backups on an external disk. Even firefox profiles were a pain. Now i just slimmed down to xmarks for all my browser faves and adblock. Makes things simpler.

Games are all run from a second non OS hard disk as are all data, music and video.

Very impressed with Windows 7 myself so far.

Thank Post
    you could use the file and settings transfer wizard to copy most of your files and settings over to a clean install machine then you owuld only need to install apps

Thank Post
    I manually backed up my docs/pics/music to a 1Tb HDD inside the box (was formatting a RAID0).

Installed Win7, copied over th stuff again, reinstalled the apps / games / etc...

Works a treat, only problem atm is that Windows Live Messnger crashes on startup and has to be launched, wierd.

Si

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Do a clean install

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Microsoft have set their double standards yet again - first I run the upgrade advisor - it says all is well - NO PROBLEM !! Go ahead and install over the top of my Vista Ultimate....

So I backup and make a start, then it falls over with my Trend AV and Acronis software - no problem, I'll uninstall those which I do. The Acronis states I need a re-boot so I re-boot, I then get a BSOD - something to do with the Windows 7 install files ? Hmmmm - anyway I get backup with the good old Last Good Config and try again. This time I don't get the Acronis error but it says I still have the Trend software installed !! I double check, Errrr no, I double check the registry entries, errrrrrrr no - Could it be the ActiveX component I use for the Web Console ? I doubt it, have you ever heard of an ActiveX component causing an OS not to install ? Naaaaah me too.
    So I can't be bothered to install it, I am no way going to format and re-install, it would take me weeks to get all my software and settings back to how I like it so unless I have to it's a no no for Windows 7 for me. [ At work ]
    I'll install it as a Virtual PC but will have to stick with VISTA for the time being or until MS get something right.....
    At least its not just the mac book pro's freezing ( then again it doesnt bother me ) as I have a 2008 Mac Pro ( the tower one )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    At least its not just the mac book pro's freezing ( then again it doesnt bother me ) as I have a 2008 Mac Pro ( the tower one )
    I know that it was tongue in cheek ... but this is a Win7 thread ... DO NOT TROLL!

@Mattx ... I feel your pain. Been doing rebuilds of my virtual machines for the last 48 hours and going from Win7 RC, XP or Vista to Win 7 RTM has been hit and miss with a few apps.

Presently doing my clean build image and even though I am loading software back on it is still taking less time than the Vista > 7 RTM upgrade.

12. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

webman (12th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I know that it was tongue in cheek ... but this is a Win7 thread ... DO NOT TROLL!

Nope

Just a general comment because its not just macs that fail even though you pay a premium for apple equipment and as batman referred to it as being an electronic padded cell or something to that effect and was just more of a well at least its not just apple and yes I have tried windows 7 a little bit but ive had enough of swapping operating systems where they change the UI so much from OS to OS and its just annoying especially with those kind of issues and I keep getting told stuff like the above mentioned items does not happen often ..... well ..... real proof it must happen a bit more often then people want to give in to.

Also thats not to say that apple macs or apple stuff does not have there faults either hence why I purchased apple care.

and no not starting a flame war or trolling for that matter either.

Just leave it at that and continue on our way nothing to see and all that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Hard drives are so cheap these days I just put in a fresh drive and install to that, leaving the old drive as a backup until it's formatted and re-used six months to a year later for a fresh install.
    Agreed, thats what I do, except it bites the pocket when I use WD Raptor HDDs for my main C Drive, and the 300GB one is looking mighty tempting to say I've filled the 150GB one near enough with Vista over its life (got Vista at the end of Beta as a gift from MS as a tester) and not been formatted since so its had a good run but its now fairly stuffed full!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Agreed, thats what I do, except it bites the pocket when I use WD Raptor HDDs for my main C Drive, and the 300GB one is looking mighty tempting to say I've filled the 150GB one near enough with Vista over its life (got Vista at the end of Beta as a gift from MS as a tester) and not been formatted since so its had a good run but its now fairly stuffed full!)
    what about solid state drives ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    what about solid state drives ?
    They would bite harder, I dare not look for a 300GB one, its going to be heading towards £200 for the 300GB Raptor so suspect a Solid State one would be more than that.

I may just go back to two normal ones and RAID them perhaps, but don't think my on-board RAID will let me make two different types of RAID as I already have a RAID5 for bulk data storage on this PC.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread