+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 Pro and Pro Upgrade now available on MVLS in Technical; Originally Posted by m25man Have you watched the Win7 2008R2 Product Activation Technet Webcast ? Headphones and several cans of ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Have you watched the Win7 2008R2 Product Activation Technet Webcast?

Headphones and several cans of RedBull required!

I can't say that I'm impressed.
    The whole KMS/MAK debacle is why so many people never bothered to take the jump to Vista!

Win7 and 2008R2 is not going to be any easier and Office is going to use it as well.

You can understand that piracy is a major concern and loss of revenue for M$ but will the complexities of KMS and MAK activation just keep admins clinging onto XP for even longer?

Me thinks it will.

At least M$ seem to have accepted that the one or the other KMS or MAK rule would never work, at least now we can have a mix and match of KMS and MAK without a load of hassle from them!

Your new R2 and Win7 KMS keys only work on specifically Patched 2003 2008SP1 KMS Servers.
    You will have to wait until after the 19th August for KMS V1.2 before using the new keys.

I have found this blog useful whilst getting ready for D-Day, Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog
    You're right, this webcast is absolutely riveting.

From what I've read, the update for 2003 servers with KMS 1.1 installed will be out August 11. So, I guess I will have to wait until then to activate my Win7 machine. Weird thing is, I have 3 days since installation, to activate it. I thought it was normally 30 days?

These 5/25 minimums for activation are going to be a PITA, me thinks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ces973 View Post
    You're right, this webcast is absolutely riveting.

From what I've read, the update for 2003 servers with KMS 1.1 installed will be out August 11. So, I guess I will have to wait until then to activate my Win7 machine. Weird thing is, I have 3 days since installation, to activate it. I thought it was normally 30 days?

These 5/25 minimums for activation are going to be a PITA, me thinks.
    KMS keys are 3 days as in theory your supposed to have a KMS server setup ready to be activated against. From what I understand of the KMS minimums if you have any Windows Server 2008 R2 boxes then the minimum count drops to 5 for 2k8R2 + W7 combined, whereas if you're only running W7 then you've got a minimum of 25.

Thank Post
    Vista Enterprise SP2 was also only in the software assurance section IIRC. The nice thing about Windows 7 is that Ultimate and Enterprise have the same features this time, where Vista enterprise had some missing features (DVD playback, media center, Movie Maker HD etc).

While I had Valid SA to request Vista Ulitmate licenses the individual keys for machines made it worthless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    KMS keys are 3 days as in theory your supposed to have a KMS server setup ready to be activated against. From what I understand of the KMS minimums if you have any Windows Server 2008 R2 boxes then the minimum count drops to 5 for 2k8R2 + W7 combined, whereas if you're only running W7 then you've got a minimum of 25.
    It's 3 days until "Automatic Activation" after that you get 27 Days to activate it manually
    it'll keep prompting you with a balloon to activate it and everyso often it will interrupt logon with a dialog to force activation or (after a delay) later

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123