+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Why Windows 7 When XP "Won't Die" in Technical; This evening I read this article: Windows XP forever? The OS that just won't die I found the opening lines ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 907 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why Windows 7 When XP "Won't Die"

This evening I read this article:

Windows XP forever? The OS that just won't die

I found the opening lines interesting:

Windows XP is too good for its own good.
    It needs to die for the company's sake.
    It won't die because nothing else -- not even Windows 7 -- currently approaches it.
    and later on:

...many friends and colleagues with whom I associate are quietly ignoring Windows 7, and hoping to stick with XP for as long as their current hardware holds out.
    and a comment after the article:

I'm waiting to see Windows 8, Win 7 doesn't do it for me, nor did Vista. Perhaps Windows 8 will show something new, other than glitz.
    I read it with interest. What do you make of it?

Thank Post
    It's such a big leap, at work 2k to XP was ok but to Vista/7 will be a pain so people are avoiding it. At home XP does everything that people need something looking pretty is a bonus (unless you're a Mac owner) so if you buy a new box with 7 on then fine but most people won't pay for a bit of eye candy especialy as at the end of the day the OS doesn't do much it's your apps that count.

It won't take long now for MS to stick the knife in remember 2K, no IE7 no Office 2007 and many management tools the list goes on they just eventualy force your hand. Unless of course you start talking Open Office and so on but that's not what this thread is about.

Although Microsoft obviously recognizes that $300 netbooks and $400-to-$500 mainstream laptops mean the good old days of high margin OS sales are over, it still wants us to add Windows 7 to our wish list to continue to drive its Windows revenue stream, albeit at a reduced rate
    This is exactly why MS and Intel want to upsell and stop this seemingly endles price collapse.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 6th August 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    XP currently runs all of our school apps. There is support for the next 5yrs.
    Educational applications are getting moved towards web VLE based upon open standards - they are generally cheaper and easier to install en mass.

If/When it looks like there is going to be an actual business case to switch then I might think about it, I currently don't see one.

So I'm not exactly in a rush to install windows 7 - but I'm feeling smug that I managed to completely avoid vitsta

Thank Post
    @ CyberNerd - my sentiments exactly. Not to mention the fact that i'm just about to take delivery of 40 Axel devices for our Citrix setup

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 907 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Educational applications are getting moved towards web VLE based upon open standards - they are generally cheaper and easier to install en mass.
    I have a presentation to deliver next week and it looks like my talk will be leaning in this direction. Early days yet though as I am still only in the planning stages.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We just bought a suite of PCs which will be W7 and attached to a Win Server 2k8R2, and the staff laptops are now on W7 also. Simply for the fact that we are the pilot school in our area through our own choice. If it cocks up, then so be it but after the extensive testing we have yet to come across a problem thus far, whatever W7 cant run, the Win XP Mode can. Simple!

Thank Post
    many friends and colleagues with whom I associate are quietly ignoring Windows 7, and hoping to stick with XP for as long as their current hardware holds out.
    Heck, I'm sticking with XP for as long as everyone else's hardware holds out, never mind our own - at this rate we'll be able to get hold of second-hand equipment at knock-down prices for years to come. Give it five years and no one will even remember what an OS is, they'll just use the web browser for everything.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    We just bought a suite of PCs which will be W7 and attached to a Win Server 2k8R2, and the staff laptops are now on W7 also. Simply for the fact that we are the pilot school in our area through our own choice. If it cocks up, then so be it but after the extensive testing we have yet to come across a problem thus far, whatever W7 cant run, the Win XP Mode can. Simple!
    Except that SIMS is not officially supported on W7 and won't be until next Easter!

It runs fine, except for 'system' but the trouble is that if (when) we run into a problem, whether OS related or not, Capita will see W7 and say 'not our problem matey' and then we're in the shite! Hence we have no option but to stick with XP even though we're replacing almost our entire PC fleet this summer and installing Server 2008.

It's a total pain because by the time Capita get their arses into gear it will be the Devil's own job for us to upgrade to W7.

Thank Post
    Except that SIMS is not officially supported on W7 and won't be until next Easter!
    Sooner or later capita will realise that they need to disentangle SIMS from the operating system....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    our SIMS PCs will be the only ones that are not running W7, they'll stay on XP until it gets supported.

Thank Post
    our SIMS PCs will be the only ones that are not running W7, they'll stay on XP until it gets supported.
    Don't you find that a mixed environment just doubles your costs?

Thank Post
    I'll continue to use XP until the end. It just "works".

You can put Windows Vista in a nice dress and put lipstick on and call it Windows 7, but its still awful once you get underneath.

I'd rather use Windows 2000 than Vista or 7, its more efficent at getting jobs done!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Don't you find that a mixed environment just doubles your costs?
    not at all, we have covercard support that supports from Win 98 / NT4 - Win 7 / Win Serv 2K8R2 and our licences cover us for everything up to Win7, so no added cost at all

Thank Post
    not at all, we have covercard support that supports from Win 98 / NT4 - Win 7 / Win Serv 2K8R2 and our licences cover us for everything up to Win7, so no added cost at all
    I meant in tech time, not licensing. you must do things very differently from us - but we have standardised images for all 'groups' of computers. I couldn't imagine needing to ask staff if they had XP or W7 - it would be a nightmare from a support (cost) perspective.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ahh I see what you mean.

Well I have images for various departments. Each Dept has an image of XP (and relevant softwares), Vista (and relevant softwares) and soon W7 (and relevant softwares). All have stayed away from vista because its rubbish, however there is going to be a mass exodus to W7 when I have finished the images. lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast