+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Why Windows 7 When XP "Won't Die" in Technical; I got rid of W7 on my test machine because it didn't play at all nicely with Sims and the ...

Thank Post
    I got rid of W7 on my test machine because it didn't play at all nicely with Sims and the Virtual XP mode wouldn't run as my motherboard didn't have the virtualization thingy needed to run it.

Also things like Nero needed updating to run (kerching) and I reckon the leap to the new menu layout will be hard for users to get used to.

I was really tempted to install it on some staff room computers I just bought but reckon I will leave it till Sims tell me for certain it plays nicely.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    It's Friday and I've had a drink or two so it's probably unwsie for me to continue but what the heck! Why should we devote time and energy to get compatible with an operating system that isn't released? All the reports on W7 are good, its something we will support but will it save a child? Will it improve a school's results? Will it make our software easier to use? etc. No!

The pre-releases had missing functions that we will need to emulate if they are not in the final release. We intend to be W7 compatible by October 09. (We never developed for the BBC )
    nicely put, however if schools are upgrading to W7 because of pressure from the LEA (as like ours) shouldnt Capita atleast patch the vista version to run on W7 for the mean time. Unlike XP and Vista, people wont need to wait until SP1 for W7 is out because it just works.

I got sims working on the virtual PC, but doing so I couldnt use any functions of W7 at all. It was a rediculous hassle, so I gave up. When it is supported, I will install it and go, but until then the machines that run Sims stay on XP.

Thank Post
    Why should we devote time and energy to get compatible with an operating system that isn't released?
    Well said I think Capita should at least be able to see the finished product before committing to supporting it (it seems to work ok on 7 though), but.... how about supporting an office product other than MS Office, Open Office??? Please

nicely put, however if schools are upgrading to W7 because of pressure from the LEA (as like ours) shouldnt Capita atleast patch the vista version to run on W7 for the mean time. Unlike XP and Vista, people wont need to wait until SP1 for W7 is out because it just works.
    You're getting pressure from your LEA to upgrade from a supported OS to an unreleased OS, I'd ask them to send you in 'writing' a single reason why you should.

XP was actually ok when released but people still waited untill SP1, Windows 7 seems pretty stable at the moment (i've been using it for a while) but it's not untill it's really on general release that you can really say it 'just works'.

Thank Post
    It looks like the SIMS dev guys are already onto it ... http://twitter.com/SIMSdev

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just thought it was rather a good point raised - the OS is released in October to the public (may be earlier to some customers possibly including schools) but should schools be adopting it that early? So, aiming to get Sims 7 compatible for October seems very fair to me.

Being totally honest though, despite absolutely LOVING Windows 7 and having used it in various flavours since early Beta, I'm very surprised to see such a feverish early takeup on it in corp and educational establishment - it's unprecedented behaviour and was certainly not the case for any OS since - scratch that. Ever. It took a good couple of years before XP was taken up at a decent rate because 2000 was in it's "Just Working" state and NT4 still had a huge share at the backend of things.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

Followup: Windows XP SP3 runs browsers 13% faster than Windows 7 RTM

Graphic from the same article:

One comment after the article:

How can this even be a true speed test. 25% of the score has nothing to do with speed.
    and another:

... all of these sensational benchmarks fail to to show performance for Windows 7 64-bit or Windows Vista 64-bit which on average perform better than their 32-bit counterparts due to the increased number of general purpose registers available on AMD64/EMT64 CPUs in 64-bit mode.
    The debate rumbles on...

Thank Post
    Being totally honest though, despite absolutely LOVING Windows 7 and having used it in various flavours since early Beta, I'm very surprised to see such a feverish early takeup on it in corp and educational establishment - it's unprecedented behaviour and was certainly not the case for any OS since - scratch that. Ever. It took a good couple of years before XP was taken up at a decent rate because 2000 was in it's "Just Working" state and NT4 still had a huge share at the backend of things.

It's still a relatively small number of corps that will be upgrading early as they have to wait until their apps are supported. It's all well shifting your OS but if your apps aren't supported you're in trouble so even if the OS is stable people will still wait for SP1 simply as it's the time frame when most software houses will of got stable versions of their products out the door. MS have gone all out to make sure that apps that run on Vista will run on 7 but you've still go to be careful rolling it out straight away, I've seen some people rolling out the RC, most corp IT departments would laugh their socks off at that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If anyone was wondering about the 'funny screen' in Vista that the teacher said was comming up regarding the hard drive failure I have attached a screenshot of it as an example of the progress from XP.

I plan on deploying in dual boot config to some of the more technical members of staff quite shortly so that they have the choice and can start getting acustomed to it. It is not a very large move from Vista so I expect that they will be able to switch between them easy enough and the deloyment is practicaly identical. As Vista is doing the job quite well at the moment though we will probably be looking to move either next year or the next batch of holidays for the most adventurous clients.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I'm very surprised to see such a feverish early takeup on it in corp and educational establishment - it's unprecedented behaviour and was certainly not the case for any OS since - scratch that.
    Perhaps because so many have been holding back from using Vista coupled with the perception that 7 appears to be stable and quick. No evidence for this, just theorising...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Could well be the case. Me did have a similar effect

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we go tthe pressure as we are the pilot school for our county for most IT based projects (thanks to my boss). We were told that as soon as it is released to schools in Sept, we are to get a suite up and running as soon as possible and have it ready for open evening. If it is a success, the LEA want to make other schools go ahead.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    we go tthe pressure as we are the pilot school for our county for most IT based projects (thanks to my boss). We were told that as soon as it is released to schools in Sept, we are to get a suite up and running as soon as possible and have it ready for open evening. If it is a success, the LEA want to make other schools go ahead.
    A couple of possibilities suggest themselves;

1 - The LA wants some good publicity about it's proactive approach to the latest tech.

2 - LA has some kind of relationship with MS whereby they get preferable licensing in return for showcasing MS products.

3 - The LA has a roadmap to get all schools off XP and wants to trial 7 to see if it's an option before committing to Vista.

What OS are you running at the moment? Being in the pilot should be a good thing as you usually ought to get better support or some other sweetener for taking the risk.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    At home XP does everything that people need something looking pretty is a bonus (unless you're a Mac owner)
    I know this is the windows 7 topic area and side tracking a bit here and not starting a flame war or nothing ( just to be perfectly clear !! )

Am very disappointed that apple dropped ZFS ( I was really looking forward to that as one of the features of snow leopard ).

Still looking forward to grand central dispatch and the other features but hopefully they either can add it via software updates or hopefully will still add it on the next OS release.

Saw blu ray mentioned in iTunes but still don't know what that is all about unless they are planning or getting ready to incorporate blu ray in an OS update or the next OS release ? ( with or after snow leopard - and yes I am aware of the hardware issues involved with the content protection etc )

\Rant

Back to this thread and windows 7
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 9th August 2009 at 08:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton View Post
    A couple of possibilities suggest themselves;

1 - The LA wants some good publicity about it's proactive approach to the latest tech.

2 - LA has some kind of relationship with MS whereby they get preferable licensing in return for showcasing MS products.

3 - The LA has a roadmap to get all schools off XP and wants to trial 7 to see if it's an option before committing to Vista.

What OS are you running at the moment? Being in the pilot should be a good thing as you usually ought to get better support or some other sweetener for taking the risk.
    Running XP and server 2003 for our admin side.. The curriculum side will be changing over to W7 and Server 2008R2.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Running XP and server 2003 for our admin side.. The curriculum side will be changing over to W7 and Server 2008R2.
    How will you be deploying? Win 7 deployment tools? WDS? Ghost/imaging?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast