+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, First day of use in anger and... I am angry in Technical; This is the first time I have sat down and done work on W7 and I've managed to crash explorer. ...

Thank Post

First day of use in anger and... I am angry

This is the first time I have sat down and done work on W7 and I've managed to crash explorer.

It started when i tried to burn things using explorer, multiple new discs were spat out then when I tried to cancel the copy process its messed it up altogether and I cannot restart explorer in Task Manager.

A few things are niggling me in it now which XP did better so I am tempted to go back.. I don't want to but its not playing fair with my other programs

Now for a reboot

PS. its actually crashed so badly that it won't open any explorer windows.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    This is the first time I have sat down and done work on W7 and I've managed to crash explorer.

It started when i tried to burn things using explorer, multiple new discs were spat out then when I tried to cancel the copy process its messed it up altogether and I cannot restart explorer in Task Manager.

A few things are niggling me in it now which XP did better so I am tempted to go back.. I don't want to but its not playing fair with my other programs

Now for a reboot
    If you had a mac .................. you wouldn't have these problems

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well maybe. What hardware are you running it on? Maybe driver bugs are eating your disks. As my HP machine is fine. But then it would be as it's listed as supported...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I must admit, Windows7 has been runing fine for me for months now! (around 6 months)

Latley what happens is my laptop uses around 3.5gb of RAM, and i cant open Explorer!! so i have to end explorer.exe and then it works! but it happens about every 30 minutes.

I thought it might be laptop.. but just havent had time to look at it yet.

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post

Now for a reboot

PS. its actually crashed so badly that it won't open any explorer windows.
    Is this when you are using a dedicated burning app ie nero or cdburner xp se or deep burner

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to admit to a dislike of Windows 7 and a prefference to Vista. The beta for 7 was fantastic but has gone down hill ever since. I have the x64 build on my main laptop which is not slow and is a fully speced out hp for Vista. It hangs for seconds at a time when opening files and takes 2-3 seconds to resume playback of a video file.

It does boot a little faster but in almost every test Vista is faster and more reliable. This is still RC software but given the direction they have been taking with it so far I am not hopefull for the RTM and will probably end up sticking with Vista on all stations untill they get it sorted out.

Thank Post
    I would agree with Geoff here and suggest looking at your drivers - in particular, the graphics adaptor, motherboard chipset and storage controller drivers.

I've been running 7 on one of my laptops since the beta was released, and I've since upgraded it to RC (using the hack that allows you to actually upgrade) and everything runs fine. I've also run it on a second laptop since RC release and it too runs fantastic (apart from needing a bit more RAM, but that's not a 7 problem).

Synack, I would also suggest for yourself to look at either your M/B chipset drivers or your storage controller drivers as it sounds like a 'read from hard drive' issue.

Hope that helps guys.

Rob.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah suppose i should really look at my drivers, as i do have 2 that have not been (PCI Stuff) that i have never been able to find the drivers for..

Hopefully Dell will release drivers for windows 7 soon enough.

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Also if you had a mac, you would owe your mortgage to pay for it!

Windows 7 has worked perfectly for me!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Same here, but I'm starting to express caution over the different hardware combinations - there are numerous people reporting issue with particular types of setup. But that's no surprise - the same can still be said of XP even now, and certainly Vista. So, we'll see how RTM pans out as well as driver development. And let's remember, we can't expect decent drivers out of idiots like Logitech and Creative, and there's plenty others with problems too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The thing that concerns me is how badly it runs on so much of the hardware at the moment. I have tried it on several systems with and without driver upgrades and have had bad results on almost all of them. If it was isolated I would not be so concerned but from my experience this is not isolated to a small subset of hardware. Hardware which runs Vista fine - with the same driver model and vast amounts of the same core code but for the moment much better results.

Maybe MS is angry at hp for some reason that is the only logical conclusion that I can come up with thus far.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Maybe MS is angry at hp for some reason that is the only logical conclusion that I can come up with thus far.
    I've got HP 7800 desktop and 6715b laptop that both run it fine.... what sort of PCs you having trouble with?

tried the 7600+ build?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've had exactly the opposite experience - hardware which Vista really struggles on is a complete dream with 7, regardless of the build. And please be careful of the so called 7600 builds - many are rebadged RC's full of "nasty extras"

I still think it's a matter of drivers/3rd party support.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    ha been playing with a mac over the weekend and it crashes more than vista imo no crashes for a while in vista adding photos to iphoto 2 crashes in 24 hours

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    hp nw9440, hp d330m (old but runs vista ok) , hp 6730b, several non branded computer built from components, mostly gigabyte and ASUS boards with core 2 processors.

Have not tried the 7600 builds just the official MS ones. To be clear, not all of them are abjectly bad, just slower than a Vista SP2 build. For an OS designed to be faster than Vista to appease the media poisoned opinion of Vista it does not actually appear to run better or even the same in some cases.

Some of my issues are with IE8 on the platform. It runs flawlessly under Vista for me but lags and locks on the 7 platform. VPN network connectivity is also slower than the near instant responce that was possible under the past OSs.

Personally I don't really like the superbar either as it is simply not as quick as the old taskbar. Sure I can understand where it is comming from in a mulitasking kind of way but For the moment is is still slower. I think that the UI poisoning of some aspects from the Apple camp have hurt the actual useability despite the research into it I still find the breadcrums navigation annoying in Vista, 7 and OSX.

As I said I am sure that it will get better and may have already (higher builds) but the trend from beta to RC still worries me. I guess that I will see in 10 days but I still forsee a delay in my implementation untill they get it all sorted. I am running the x64 7 version now to a limited extent just to get used to the platform anyway as even with a staged deployment it is only a year away from being in common use by a signifigant chunk of people.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast