+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows OEM licensing question in Technical; We need to build 16 computers in-house (special case) for September. It'll be a 64-bit edition of Windows, so in ...
    Thank Post

Windows OEM licensing question

We need to build 16 computers in-house (special case) for September. It'll be a 64-bit edition of Windows, so in an attempt to skip Vista and avoid XP64's issues with driver support, I'm considering installing Win7RC1.

Can I avoid purchasing Windows now, only to have to purchase the Win7 upgrade when it's released in October?

Would the Windows 7 Upgrade Program entitle us to a free upgrade to Windows 7 if we bought Vista licences after June 26, or is this only available to MS OEM partners? Failing that, could we install the RC on the machines and not buy OEM licences. Then when it is released purchase the OEM licences with some keyboards (or something)?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,485 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The release candidate is for testing purposes only, to run it on a comercial environment is breaking the law. Stick with XP for now and then do an upgrade when it comes out. I upgraded my XP at home and it done the job nicely!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    Can I avoid purchasing Windows now, only to have to purchase the Win7 upgrade when it's released in October?
    I very much doubt that as you wouldn't really be upgrading to Win7, in that you would never have bought a licence for an earlier version (unless you've got sufficient XP/Vista licences for these PCs, that is).

I'd read the Ts&Cs of the RC carefully, as "real-world" deployment is often contrary to the terms of pre-release software.

You may find that if you install the RC now, you'd need to wipe it October, as it might not be possible to install a real licence over the RC without a re-install. Don't know on that one...

One question - how come you need Win7 so desperately you can't wait for October?

Thank Post
    Any how on the 1st July thewindows 7 RC runs out and your PC will shut down every 2 hours.
    and you will have to reinstall windows 7, any how when it comes out.

Just install XP. Lazy..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    Any how on the 1st July thewindows 7 RC runs out and your PC will shut down every 2 hours.
    Thought that wasn't until March 2010...

Thank Post
    I'd wait until the end of next week when the Win 7 Upgrade Program is released to see exactly what the details of it are. Some manufacturers might be offering free upgrades others might be at cost.

@NickJones & Cools
    Nick you are correct the 2 hour shutdown is from March 2010, with the RC expiring June 2010, see Windows 7 Release Candidate

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I very much doubt that as you wouldn't really be upgrading to Win7, in that you would never have bought a licence for an earlier version (unless you've got sufficient XP/Vista licences for these PCs, that is).
    No, sorry I meant using RC1 in the interim period (assuming that the EULA allows this, which obviously I'd need to check), then purchasing an OEM licence in October, so no upgrade required. I assume this isn't strictly allowed though.

You may find that if you install the RC now, you'd need to wipe it October, as it might not be possible to install a real licence over the RC without a re-install. Don't know on that one...
    Yeah, I'm aware of the technical limitations that will be imposed at the end of the RC. I'd be prepared for a reinstall.

One question - how come you need Win7 so desperately you can't wait for October?
    I believe Windows 7 will be able to better realise the performance capabilities of an i7 system than XP, won't it? I've also heard bad things about XP64 and drivers, but I guess I could give it a go.
    Last edited by meastaugh1; 18th June 2009 at 01:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    I believe Windows 7 will be able to better realise the performance capabilities than XP, won't it? I've also heard bad things about XP64 and drivers, but I guess I could give it a go.
    I was more asking what is so urgent that you are considering a live deployment of the RC version, rather than waiting for the actual release.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    and you will have to reinstall windows 7, any how when it comes out.

Just install XP. Lazy..
    the beta will do the shut down thing - they RC keeps going into 2010

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I was more asking what is so urgent that you are considering a live deployment of the RC version, rather than waiting for the actual release.
    Hmm yeah, I see your point. I guess I could go with XP64 as the interim OS, assuming drivers will work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread