+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7, poor performance in Technical; Seems to me Windows 7 is still just as dire as Windows Vista is, put with a bit of polish ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7, poor performance

Seems to me Windows 7 is still just as dire as Windows Vista is, put with a bit of polish squirted on.

Here is a link to a Video of 2 identical netbooks.

Clicky to view (Might want to right click save instead)

Both are clean machines, built fresh, nothing installed yet accept drivers, so no antivirus to be blamed.

First PC, Windows XP, Shared area on a Windows Server 2003 loads. Fast, usable. Next it goes to Windows 7, i got so bored of waiting for it to load i stopped the video.

This is the exact same problem we had with Windows Vista, anybody else get this issue?

I doubt the problem is anything but Windows Vista/7 as Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server seem capable of loading this and other network shares fine. Why can Vista/7 not do simple tasks?

Any ideas on a fix? Its not just these netbooks that do it, its ANY computer that has either Vista or Windows 7 on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Seems to me Windows 7 is still just as dire as Windows Vista is, put with a bit of polish squirted on.

Here is a link to a Video of 2 identical netbooks.

Clicky to view (Might want to right click save instead)

Both are clean machines, built fresh, nothing installed yet accept drivers, so no antivirus to be blamed.

First PC, Windows XP, Shared area on a Windows Server 2003 loads. Fast, usable. Next it goes to Windows 7, i got so bored of waiting for it to load i stopped the video.

This is the exact same problem we had with Windows Vista, anybody else get this issue?

I doubt the problem is anything but Windows Vista/7 as Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server seem capable of loading this and other network shares fine. Why can Vista/7 not do simple tasks?

Any ideas on a fix? Its not just these netbooks that do it, its ANY computer that has either Vista or Windows 7 on.
    I have 7 on a fairly high spec laptop and it runs faster than it did on Vista business or xp. everything opens quicker!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I couldn't find an easy way of connecting a Windows 7 laptop to my workgroup. Why did they have to change the way we've done things for many years?

Same with a bit of text in Notepad. On XP you can double click on this text:

ABC-1234565

and it will highlight the entire string.

But in Windows 7 it just gets the "123" bit.
    i prefer it that way tbh, if i want the whole thing it isnt a hard job drag and select, this if i want to pick a part out of a string i can double click

Thank Post
    What network card are you using? There seems to be a bug at present with Win 7 that seems to fit with what your seeing... try this - Extremely slow file transfers and network access... - Windows 7 Forums

Thank Post
    I too am working with Windows 7 on a high spec laptop and have so far not had any issues with it, working very fast. I am using the 64-bit version speed of file transfer is quick when copying files to and from a windows 2003 share.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    What network card are you using? There seems to be a bug at present with Win 7 that seems to fit with what your seeing... try this - Extremely slow file transfers and network access... - Windows 7 Forums
    In the video its on an Atheros AR8121, but it does this on any network adaptor or any pc as long as it as Windows Vista or Windows 7 on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the video its on an Atheros AR8121, but it does this on any network adaptor or any pc as long as it as Windows Vista or Windows 7 on it.
    How may computers of what type have you tried this on, if it affects every single one then it will be something to do with your network rather than the client as both Windows Vista and 7 are able to run quickly on newer hardware.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    How may computers of what type have you tried this on, if it affects every single one then it will be something to do with your network rather than the client as both Windows Vista and 7 are able to run quickly on newer hardware.
    7 different models of laptop
    2 different models of netbooks
    6 different models of PC

I'm conviced its somthing microsoft have changed as i said before Windows 95,98,NT4,2000,XP and Server 2003 do not have this issue, its only since Vista.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7 different models of laptop
    2 different models of netbooks
    6 different models of PC

I'm conviced its somthing microsoft have changed as i said before Windows 95,98,NT4,2000,XP and Server 2003 do not have this issue, its only since Vista.
    Can you expand on exactly which models, there is at least one person from MS on the forum currently doing maintaining a post on what Windows7 runs well on ( What does Windows 7 run on ) and your list could be helpful.

Are your servers all patched and up to date as this could have an impact, not sure of your setup as am on a client pc without .MPG support for the time being.

Thank Post
    What release version of Windows 7 are you using? Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version? Do the laptops/machines you're trying to run the OS on meet the minimum requirement (eg at least meet the requirements for Vista)?

-ken

Thank Post
    After MANY MANY hours of googling last night and fiddling i found what the cause of the problem is, it is somthing Microsoft thought would be a good idea... TCP/IP Autotuning.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Typing the above at the command prompt and rebooting fixed it. I think this nasty peice of work should be turned of by default.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After MANY MANY hours of googling last night and fiddling i found what the cause of the problem is, it is somthing Microsoft thought would be a good idea... TCP/IP Autotuning.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Typing the above at the command prompt and rebooting fixed it. I think this nasty peice of work should be turned of by default.
    What an odd feature! It is designed specifically to help end users on slow network connections, but is still enabled for low latency networks by default. I'd have thought it'd be intelligent enough to be able to detect the difference between a high and low latency network and enable/disable accordingly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread