+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 Release Date, Oct 22nd in Technical; Microsoft said Tuesday that Windows 7 code will be finalized and sent out to manufacturing in the second half of ...
    Thank Post
    Microsoft said Tuesday that Windows 7 code will be finalized and sent out to manufacturing in the second half of July. The OS will then be made generally available October 22.
    Windows 7 to ship October 22 ? The Register

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    yes, it's fine with steam games, world of warcraft etc. The only games you will have issues with are those that use punkbuster, which is down to evenbalance refusing to support the RC and add it's dll as legal.
    I play Call of Duty 4 online using Punkbuster with no problems. So far I have only had problems playing Fallout 3, which gets so far into the game then crashes at the same point every time. Everything else seems to be working fine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    What things just out of curiosity?

for me , the biggest problem i have encountered is the inability ( though not totally ) to setup the default local user profile easily, as you could in xp.
    I think microsh@ft have made a 'mole hill' into a 'mountain' in this regard, which to me shows how out of touch they are with the users.
    Why should i have to use sysprep to set up the account i want to use for the default one???? ( and i don't know how to do that just yet anyway )

Thank Post
    Is the default user issue on stand alone machines or on a network, if it's network could you not put a default profile in netlogon on your DC's that's how my Win7 clients (all two of them ) pick it up?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Is the default user issue on stand alone machines or on a network, if it's network could you not put a default profile in netlogon on your DC's that's how my Win7 clients (all two of them ) pick it up?
    For vista and Windows 7 clients to pick up the default user on netlogon, it needs to be called "Default User.v2"

Thank Post
    Yep that's correct and it works fine for me.

Thank Post

no not that way

that profile is then given to all users, which is no good if you have a machine setup for a particular area, hardware setup/peripherals attached, or for special needs/ equipment- human interface devices.
    That in my opinion is a very poor way to do it compared to setting up a local default user, which also requires much less network traffic.
    I realise setting up a local default user requires more work, but the results are worth it . I 'thought' microsh@ft had kinda got the message when they launched shared computer toolkit, but that idea seems to have fallen away.

Thank Post
    Have just blogged a little about the release, and starting to build a list of laptops etc that people are running Win 7 on happily.
    Microsoft UK Schools News Blog : Windows 7 is getting closer

Feel free to send me any more details on netbooks/laptops/desktops that it's running on - will publish the full list from everybody tomorrow.

My thinking is that it's likely the device profile in schools will be different from a typical business, and so it'll be good to know if older devices found in schools will work happily with Windows 7 or not...

Thank Post
    It only gives it to a user if they don't already have a profile either local or roaming, we've used that method here for years with no issues.

Thank Post
    @ rayfleming: I've been running my Samsung NC10 netbook with Windows 7 RC for a few weeks now and it runs very well, it's slightly slower to boot than XP on this hardware but that's easily offset by the sleep mode, it will wake in 2-3 seconds typically. I now have 2Gb RAM in but really haven't noticed much difference it ran great with just 1Gb RAM.

Thank Post
    If Windows 7 RC1 is anything to go by, it can go where Windows Vista does, in the bin, and install Windows XP.

7 to be feels just as a pain to use as Vista and gives me the same headache just navigating files.

Its a slow, akward, cluttered, painfull process.

They need to "de clutter" Windows Explorer, Windows 3.1 was easier to navigate!!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    that profile is then given to all users, which is no good if you have a machine setup for a particular area, hardware setup/peripherals attached, or for special needs/ equipment- human interface devices.
    That in my opinion is a very poor way to do it compared to setting up a local default user, which also requires much less network traffic.
    I realise setting up a local default user requires more work, but the results are worth it . I 'thought' microsh@ft had kinda got the message when they launched shared computer toolkit, but that idea seems to have fallen away.
    *shrug* It's only 2mb once stripped down and it's a single place to make changes, rather than having to push out a new one if I make a profile change.
    Used it for years with no issues.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    If Windows 7 RC1 is anything to go by, it can go where Windows Vista does, in the bin, and install Windows XP.

7 to be feels just as a pain to use as Vista and gives me the same headache just navigating files.

Its a slow, akward, cluttered, painfull process.

They need to "de clutter" Windows Explorer, Windows 3.1 was easier to navigate!!!!!
    I am a big time vista hater, infact I hate it so much that I burn the DVD disks of it that I see. But windows 7 is a huge leap forward, vista was effective the BETA for Windows 7. I look forward to using windows 7 properly!

Thank Post
    @ Quackers: Really? I didn't take to Vista at all and I gave it a good go on my work PC, I think 7 is way better than Vista and I will even move off of XP for it. I think explorer is an inprovement myself I also love the start jump menus, of course that's all just a matter of opinion.

Thank Post

the point..

the point i am making ( altough badly i would say ) is that if you are happy putting a profile that will work for all users in the sysvol area, and it works for you thats great, but anyone who uses local default user is being FORCED, practically anyway, to change to this other method, which does not meet the requirements of our organisation. which further supports my opinion that microsh@ft have not got a clue how pcs are used in school.
    I prefer win7 too, to visturd, if i can sort this local default user out in win7, then i can live with the other gui problems i think.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast