+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Is it just me? in Technical; Is it just me, that doesn't like Windows 7 very much? Yes, I accept that it is miles ahead of ...
    Thank Post

Is it just me?

Is it just me, that doesn't like Windows 7 very much?

Yes, I accept that it is miles ahead of what Vista ever was (especially at RC stage).It just seems to me there is an awful lot of fuss about not very much as far as a "normal" user is concerned.

Despite being a Microsoft Consultant, I have been a heavy Mac user for the past 18 months, using XP for my work. I eventually caved into Vista at the start of this year and have to say was becoming quite impressed with it. Windows 7 was supposed to make the whole process easier, but instead, it seems like change for the sake of change which has made things more difficult.

Don't get me wrong, not saying that I hate it - I don't really "get" it at the moment.

Thank Post
    Having put OSX and Win7 on my pcs recently so that i can get more familiar with them i must say im leaning towards Win7 interface wise. Its not as fast as OSX but makes up for it as its interface is quicker to navigate imo.

Ive taken the attitude that Vista never existed, moving straight from Xp to 7 to me it is better, a few things arnt, but given the time to reach maturity, imo overall it will be the best desktop OS out there.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 11th May 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I think people are blinded with how bad Vista was that they're seeing this as the new saviour.

It's still Vista to me and too much of a jump from XP for me to be convinced though, and there are just too many changes for it to be easily managed by IT techies like ourselves.

Not only that, but at the moment I can't see it doing anything that XP can't do in a commercial environment.
    Thank you. I think you've summed up pretty much what I was trying to say (much better than I said it as well )

It's not a bad operating system - but as you said, I think it is being seen as some form of salvation from Vista rather than taking it on it's own credits.

Thank Post
    Ive never really understood why people thought Vista was bad, I used it since just after release day and I never had a problem with it. Its different from XP but not in a bad way. W7 is a jump from Vista in its speed for sure and the task bar is great once you get used to it. Can't see myself switching back really, which is strange because I was a classic view person before.

Thank Post
    XP is still the best in my book. Having said that I loved my XPS notebook, which had Vista. Assuming you've got the spec and you plan it well, Vista is good. Just like Windows 7. For me, a new OS, a new machine. If you're going to do an entire network, that's a different thing.

Thank Post
    XP is still great - and definitely the 'old reliable' of the OS's.

However, having just installed Windows 7 on my home pc and been playing this weekend, I will be changing to this OS next year.

And just as matt40k said - you've got to have the spec and think about what your doing.

And from a management point of view - I can't wait. More GPO options than before, and especially liking the new power management features. Some say that there are too many options to be able to set effective policies, but again, as long as you properly plan and test it should be fine. I'm going to be trying the deployment options soon and seeing how that has improved.

I agree, changing the name of Add/Remove programs does seem a bit pointless, but then again - some people said putting a Start Menu in windows 95 was pointless too!

Personally I can't wait for the new release.

All IMHO!

Thank Post
    I'm not over impressed by Windows 7 - the experience isn't really much different to Vista (at least to the end user), although don't even get me started on the starter edition for netbooks!

I think my perceptions were affected by trying out Ubuntu for a few weeks. I actually prefer the Ubuntu interface to that of Windows 7. Perhaps I have been fortunate in having few serious hardware incompatibilities on Ubuntu (I was very impressed that I could just plug in my scanner and scan straight out of the box too!)

I'm dual-booting and switching from one to the other constantly on my personal machines while I make up my mind which I prefer.

Thank Post
    I have just install Windows 7 RC on my home machine as I have a few games that are DirectX 10 and wanted to see if there was any difference to Dx9. LOTRO looks quite nice and runs well in Windows 7 RC and there is a small improvement in picture quality.

What I don't like about Windows 7 is how they have changed the taskbar at the bottom. What was wrong with the way it was in XP?

From what I've seen so far Windows 7 is an improvement to Vista and overall I think they have done a good job, but I could see Microsoft shovelling in loads of crap to slow down the final release at the last minute.

I started using Ubuntu quite a few years ago and it is still my main OS at home.
    I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't tried Ubuntu to burn a copy and have a go. It is a brilliant linux distribution!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the reason I'm looking forward to Windows 7, even though I'd prefer to use Ubuntu on the network (but can't due to management not wanting to), is the improved management abilities.

It will also mean I can kill the 16bit junk software we have around still, something I've been wanting to do for a while, as it is a management nightmare.

The actual usability of it isn't anything to sing a song about, it is just an OS...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Ive never really understood why people thought Vista was bad, I used it since just after release day and I never had a problem with it. Its different from XP but not in a bad way. W7 is a jump from Vista in its speed for sure and the task bar is great once you get used to it. Can't see myself switching back really, which is strange because I was a classic view person before.
    I'd have to agree with this. I've used Vista for a while now and i really don't see what everyone is moaning about. Runs fantastically on my hardware and my games looks really nice in DX10. I can see on a full network scale that this might be an issue being that most places dont have up to date machines but i believe that windows 7 has combated most of these issues.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    It's the little things which matter. For example, in Notepad I've always been able to double-click on a bit of text like this:

ABC-12345678

and it highlights the entire text. Now in 7 and Vista it just highlights the 12345678.
    Double Click has always selected a word.

Triple Click selects a line.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It will also mean I can kill the 16bit junk software we have around still, something I've been wanting to do for a while, as it is a management nightmare.
    Could of done that ages ago with a migration to WinXP 64bit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Could of done that ages ago with a migration to WinXP 64bit.
    Except then I'd have lost support for lots of hardware too...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Could have done that ages ago with a migration to WinXP 64bit.
    Except that if the 16 bit software is needed then you're not going to be able to do it at all!

Presumably, the XP virtualisation stuff will allow you to keep running the 16 bit stuff?

Thank Post
    I'm a big fan of Windows 7 at home, but at work it is still going to take some guts to start migrating from XP.

Especially since we are (hopefully not for much longer) a Novell site and the Novell support for Vista / 7 is pretty much non existent.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information