+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 RC now on TechNet in Technical; Windows 7 RC is fantastic on a media streaming POV, setting it up to stream to my xbox was a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Windows 7 RC is fantastic on a media streaming POV, setting it up to stream to my xbox was a piece of cake, I doubt it would be difficult for non technical users to do either.
    Security wise, I'd not dream of wanting Norton on here Kaspersky runs somewhat better than it does on Vista, although I'm sticking with Avast! anti virus out of personal preference.

Makes me wonder - if Vista was like this in the first place, back in 2007, what sort of impact it'd have had on the likes of Apple, and if MS/Dell/HP etc would be offering licence downgrades etc.

Thank Post
    Lets face it Vista was just a 2 year beta and the only way for MS to force software houses and device manufacturers to create software and drivers to their new guidelines, while Vista was in beta they just carried on with the XP model once Vista was out things had to change. Also it's version two of all of the new code that went into Vista so they've had time to iron out the bugs and netbooks have given them the incentive to invest the money to re engineer code and make it more efficient, usually they just expect you to buy better hardware and pass the cost to the consumer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not strictly true though is it. Development on W7 started at the same time as Vista. Naturally there's a fair bit of stuff shared between them, but regardless, it's a hugely bitter pill to swallow for Vista purchasers. Not to say I'm disappointed with Vista, it's a mile ahead of XP on my system in performance and ability, but when compared with 7 it really does look a lame horse (and of course we all know what it's like in a corporate/business environment.

Still wince every time I get a laptop to deal with in a school with a "Celeron" sticker next to a "Vista Basic" sticker. Waiting for it to past the POST and see if it's been XP'd or if it's been used with Vista, with half a gig of ram

Thank Post
    I think MS should offer every Vista owner a Win7 upgrade so they can draw the curtains on it ASAP

it's a mile ahead of XP on my system in performance and ability
    Really I thought XP consistently outperformed Vista in most benchmarks, at least that's what most articles i've read said.

Development on W7 started at the same time as Vista
    Vista and Win7 are the same code base, MS wouldn't be developing two clients at the same time. It was on the roadmap but the product team work on one version at a time.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 4th May 2009 at 07:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    According to various technet blogs development was started by mostly separate teams. Might take a look later and make sure I'm not just mixing up my memory

As for the performance: it's a varying thing really. After a certain point a properly set up Vista system should really cane Vista in application and gaming performance, but there's a huge array of hardware and even higher amounts of developers struggling with drivers for said hardware. I ran XP SP2/3 and Vista simultaneously (32bit in both cases originally). Up until around August 2007, XP was the system of choice on my system for performance reasons, mostly down to shoddy driver support from nVidia and Creative. At about that time the drivers were sorted out (with 3rd party help for Creative) and reliability issues were solved, with performance about equal. By Jan 2008 (nearly a whole year after it's release) updates and driver tweaks had Vista running clear of XP in gaming performance, and there was noticeable difference in performance of Photoshop, 3DSMax and Cubase, enough to get rid of XP entirely. Not that it mattered, within the next month I'd upped the ram and made the only worthy choice of an OS, Vista x64.

So yeah, it took a while to get there, but then again XP is now 7 years old and has had that amount of time to get a decent driver base, a huge support system and the mantra "if it aint broke, don't fix it" keeping it alive. And I wouldn't want to see XP moved from large network systems just yet. It works and it works well and reliably, which is the important thing.

Windows 7 has brought about a lot of improvements - it's certainly a hell of a lot quicker than XP let alone Vista, it works on lower end systems surprisingly well and MS have taken the above "if it aint broke" mantra and applied it with the Virtual XP addition. I'm interested to see how that will pan out in the larger network sense.

It's important to move forward, and it grinds me daily that we're still using 32bit systems in this day and age, let alone clinging onto old systems because people just can't keep up. That alone makes me wonder (horribly) if the future lies in Mac's (or mac like systems) due to the fairly consistent hardware base. It's a horrible thought of course, the day Apple is the standard is the day the economy gets even worse than it is now.

Thank Post
    Since I have a bit of time on my hands I thought I'd play with Win 7 - has anyone out here tried AVG antivirus on it?

Thank Post
    Yes I am running AVG on my Windows RC box and all seems OK

8. Thanks to bobkerr from:

znova (23rd June 2009)

Thank Post
    Yes I tried it and it worked fine but I found Avira to be much faster so went with that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have windows 7 installed now on a test base classroom. The kids love it, I love it, Boss loves it. The XP Virtualisation means that we can run stuff like Flowel without any issues. Also another good thing is the virtual PC runs Linux on it aswell, so I imaged OpenSuse on it, runs like a dream. Does all that we need it too and then some. We are mightily impressed and we will be installing it as soon as it is released officially.

Thank Post
    Microsoft will offer "full" copies of Window 7 without Internet Explorer 8 for the price of upgrade editions of Windows 7.
    Interesting I wonder how this will work then, will you get IE8 through the Windows Update tool and if you want another browser how you get it is your problem?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Interesting I wonder how this will work then, will you get IE8 through the Windows Update tool and if you want another browser how you get it is your problem?
    Well the numpties in Brussells will be annoyed... how are they going to afford their new yachts if they can't rely on M$ fines for being anti competitive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they will be annoyed and then fine M$ for not putting it on there as it gives no medium for anyone to get another browser! lol

Thank Post
    I think they've taken so long to sort this that the browser war is becoming irrelevant anyway. I bet OEM's still stick IE on anyway as it lowers their support costs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    could someone please post a direct link to the 32bit rc on the microsoft site please? every time i try to get it it tries to install some download manager thing. I dont want to download it here, I want to wget it to a remote location...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I think they've taken so long to sort this that the browser war is becoming irrelevant anyway. I bet OEM's still stick IE on anyway as it lowers their support costs.
    what end user is going to want a pc without ie to most users it IS the internet

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast