+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 RC now on TechNet in Technical; It'll be Enterprise Edition via VL, though Ultimate will be exactly the same as Enterprise, just minus the VL requirements. ...
    Thank Post
    It'll be Enterprise Edition via VL, though Ultimate will be exactly the same as Enterprise, just minus the VL requirements.

Professional is like Home Premium "Plus" - It'll be missing things like BitLocker and the nicer networking features like Branch Cache.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    May the 4th be with you.... Always
    I still have last years edugeek "May The 4th be with you" logo :~D

I need to have a look at our licence's i think, as i would like to see if we have a school agreement. if not i will either 1) Sign up for it myself or 2) Get the school to buy one!

Role on Tuesday!

James.

Thank Post
    Downloaded and installed on my Laptop
    Nice to have Win7 back

Now whats all this about XP Mode? Hmm..

Thank Post
    Technet Downloads --> Applications --> Windows Virtual PC --> Download "Windows XP Mode Beta".

Install... be quite impressed...

Could have really big ramifications for future versions of Windows.

5. Thanks to Diello from:

Gatt (1st May 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers will take a look over the weekend

Thank Post
    Completing Solitaire has some nice graphics when you win... now to beat Spider Solitaire

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Completing Solitaire has some nice graphics when you win... now to beat Spider Solitaire
    Is this what it's come to? Microsoft invest millions of $ just for some nice games graphics? Technicians of the world rejoice

No of course I'm not serious

:note to self: try solitaire as soon as 7 is installed.

Thank Post
    Well...
    I didn't spend much time using the build 7000 release as it was a bit clunky and clumsy for me, so was not holding much hope for 7100.... WOW was I wrong.

I actually decided to perform an upgrade from Vista Business on my home machine and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! This machine has a new lease of life! No more lagging from application to application, no more typing faster than the computer can process (that's half a brag and half the slowness of my machine!)

I can't remember the last time I've been this excited about something IT related!!

Thank Post
    Not sure XP mode is as good as it sounds, the hardware requirements notably virtualization extensions required are a PITA. As for issues with the software it's beta so we'll see when it's released.

Windows 7's XP Mode - Virtually worth the effort ‚ÄĘ The Register

Thank Post
    I've just had a look. The RC is only available to Technet Plus subscribers. I'm only a normal Technet member, so can't download. The Beta has also been withdrawn. I'll have to wait until 5 May and download it with everyone else.

Effective April 30, the Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) will be available to MSDN subscribers and TechNet Plus subscribers.

On Tuesday, May 5 (PST), the RC will be available to everyone via our Customer Preview Program. As with the Beta, the Windows 7 RC Customer Preview Program is a broad public program that offers the RC free to anyone who wants to download it. It will be available at least through June 30, 2009, with no limits on the number of downloads or product keys available.

So you donít need rush to make sure you get your copy. When youíre ready to download the RC, itíll be waiting for you.

Windows 7 Beta downloads are no longer available. However, you can still register for a product key or look up the key youíve already gotten.

Thank Post
    Still delighted with the RC of Win 7 however.... less than impressed with Norton!
    As I'm currently evaluating at home, and saw that Norton support Win7 on this page Windows 7: Security software providers I thought I would have a go and install it (as I have a personal subscription anyway)

Well - If anyone's thinking of doing it, don't! It slows the RC right down and doesn't actually work properly!
    Normally, as it's not a full release I wouldn't have bothered anyone about it, but I returned to the webpage above and re-read. It certainly looks like Norton should have a working product for the RC - so I contacted Norton Support...

Parthiban: You are being transferred to Parthiban.
    Parthiban: Welcome to Norton Support, my name is Parthiban. Can I please have a minute to go through the information you have provided?
    Mr. mb2k01 : Sure
    Mr. mb2k01 : Additional information which will probably be useful is that I'm running Windows 7 Build 7100
    Parthiban: Thankyou for the information
    Parthiban: mb2k01 ,I see that you're having problems with Error: "3039,1" after you install a Norton 2009 product.Am I right?
    Mr. mb2k01 : Yes
    Parthiban: mb2k01,Any Norton product is not tested in the beta version of Windows 7 operating system
    Parthiban: So please revert back to Winows vista
    Parthiban: If you install Norton product in Windows 7 it will not functions and some features will not work properly
    Mr. mb2k01 : Windows 7 advises that the Norton product is one of three products (the other two being Kapersky and AVG) which work with Windows 7
    Parthiban: Yes,It works
    Parthiban: But it will conflict with some feature
    Parthiban: Once the Windows 7 operating system released fully.
    Parthiban: Norton product can be installed
    Mr. mb2k01 : Not to be padantic, but "works" and "conflict" are conflicting statements! I'm evaluating the RC in a professional role so can't return to Vista. Would your advice therefore be to uninstall Norton?
    Mr. mb2k01 : (and use a competitor?)
    Parthiban: mb2k01,Please revert back to Windows vista or Windows Xp
    Parthiban: Then install Norton Internet Security
    Mr. mb2k01 : As I stated, I can't as I'm evaluating Windows 7 in a professional capacity (I'm **job title** at **place of work**).
    Mr. mb2k01 : If Norton specifically do not support a fully working product under WIndows 7 RC then they shouldn't be on this page Windows 7: Security software providers
    Parthiban: Okay
    Parthiban: Please wait until the Windows 7 releases
    Mr. mb2k01 : Interestingly we currently use the Symantec Endpoint client in our production enviroment. I am due to test a couple of machines there over the coming weeks - do you know if Endpoint has similar issues with Win 7?
    Parthiban: No I don't,mb2k01
    Mr. mb2k01 : Thank you for your time. I will remove your product as suggested and seek an alternative!
    Parthiban: I'm sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing
    Mr. mb2k01 : Thank you. Have a good day
    Parthiban: Is there anything else that I can help you with?
    Mr. mb2k01 : No!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the media center front though it is an absolute dream!
    I can now tune into, watch and record BBC HD in all it's glory
    I did an in place upgrade of my Vista media center and all went swimmingly, and the upgrade only took an hour or so. I think it would be a bit faster had I done an installation from scratch, but to date I have had zero driver issues with my ATI 4670, Balckgold BGT 3540 and Hauppauage Nova-HD-S2 tuner cards. I am quite a happy chappy
    I just have to delete tons of useless satellite channels from media center now

Thank Post
    @Dos_Box: Told you it was good

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    On the media center front though it is an absolute dream!
    I can now tune into, watch and record BBC HD in all it's glory
    I did an in place upgrade of my Vista media center and all went swimmingly, and the upgrade only took an hour or so. I think it would be a bit faster had I done an installation from scratch, but to date I have had zero driver issues with my ATI 4670, Balckgold BGT 3540 and Hauppauage Nova-HD-S2 tuner cards. I am quite a happy chappy
    I just have to delte tones of useless satellite channels from media center now
    It's venturing a little bit off-topic, but does that card record from Sky?
    I have been playing with Windows 7 Media Centre and want to buy a tuner card that I could hook up to Sky (if that's at all possible!?) but know next to nothing about this side of things!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not a Sky card, but I have the Blackgold which is standard Freesat (+ DVB-T) and the Hauppauge S2 card is Freesat HD.
    Oh, and Kaspersky Intenet Security Suite 2009 works flawlessly too

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast