+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Hidden Features in Technical; I believe some features in Windows 7 are hidden by default? Other than some more Themes would someone point me ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 Hidden Features

I believe some features in Windows 7 are hidden by default?

Other than some more Themes would someone point me to an article about what they are and how to un-hide them?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    They were in the earlier beta's, i.e the PDC beta had the superbar hidden by default. You had to install
    “Blue Badge” tool available, unlocks all known protected features - Within Windows
    for it to work.
    However in build 7000 everything is on by default and it's pretty much feature complete now.

3. Thanks to DrCheese from:

mrforgetful (13th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Ah ok, thanks for that )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know they've removed the classic start bar, but have they removed the Windows Classic theme as well? I cant seem to find it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My god! They've got rid of the classic start bar! Talk about pointless changes for pointless changes sake! Whatever happened to 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'?

A swear M$ GUI decisions of late have been a bit suspect to say the least, and to force them on the end user!

Maybe I'm just getting old and conservative, or maybe the ribbon bar is actually sh*t. I haven't quite worked it out yet (but I suspect the later!)

Thank Post
    Aw no! I hate the Vista Start Menu.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    My god! They've got rid of the classic start bar! Talk about pointless changes for pointless changes sake! Whatever happened to 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'?

A swear M$ GUI decisions of late have been a bit suspect to say the least, and to force them on the end user!

Maybe I'm just getting old and conservative, or maybe the ribbon bar is actually sh*t. I haven't quite worked it out yet (but I suspect the later!)
    I actually find the ribbon a lot easier to use, now that I've got used to it.

Thank Post
    I felt the same way, but now I've got used to it and know my way around it, I'm finding it much easier to use the ribbon than the mini-toolbars and drop down menus... Admittedly I'm still not a fan of the Office Button however.

Thank Post
    To be honest, I think it's great. Microsoft gets the biggest amount of flack for being crap and unstable. Thats because every OS they do, everyone demands it stays backwords compatible, which is fine for like 95/98 and then 2k/xp. But why the hell would you want to run a 16bit app on Windows 7.

They have made alot of changes in windows 7, alot being old stuff removed. And windows 7 proves the effect of that. Fast, responsive, stable (in the beta! gunna be better when it's release i'd imagine) and a smaller footprint.

As for the UI stuff... sure, the taskbar change seems strange. But so did the ribbon bar change, so did tabbed browsing etc etc etc. Because the new taskbar is so different, from what I understand by their blogs, keeping the old taskbar would have meant alot of old compatibility code would have to be kept... defeating the point really.

If the new taskbar was rubbish, i'd agree. But I think it's quite good. Aside from the fact it looks good, it actually works faster aswell (in the way of if you have 20million windows open, it's easy to find what you want).

The only thing i do say, is it's rubbish on it's default setting of large. Takes up way to much space.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeh, ive kinda gotten over the old start menu thing now. But i really dont like the themes windows uses. Never have even with XP. I like the Classic Theme. If its gone too, I'll be sad. (Although its probably trivial for someone to knock up a custom theme based on the classic theme I guess?)

Thank Post
    I hate the Windows XP themes, hence why I've always use the uxtheme.dll hack to instlal custom ones.

I don't mind Vista out of the box though.

I like the XP Start Menu as much as classic to be honest, it's the Vista method of having menus open in that small space I don't like, makes it hard to find things having to scroll through the menu instead of it being the whole height of the screen.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stratisphere View Post
    As for the UI stuff... sure, the taskbar change seems strange. But so did the ribbon bar change, so did tabbed browsing etc etc etc. Because the new taskbar is so different, from what I understand by their blogs, keeping the old taskbar would have meant alot of old compatibility code would have to be kept... defeating the point really.
    It says a lot about the quality of M$ code if the design of the start bar relies so heavily on old code that effects backwards compatibility and overall OS stability! Surely the code that displays the start menu should be so far removed from this problamatic legacy code that it couldn't cause such issues.

I don't mind M$ coming up with new ideas, themes, skins, way's of doing things. It's the fact that they are forcing people to use these changes that I don't like.

The classic start bar arks back to Windows '95 and right through to Vista it's been fine, no problems with it. Like whys the Office menu system going back atleast to the Windows 3.1 days right up to Office 2003, fine it worked people liked it and new how to use it. It feels like change for changes sake!

It's like the Linux world saying - Okay from now on you can only use KDE4! Forget Gnome, Enlightment, ICE, etc - KDE4 only - tough.

My god I am getting old and conservative! <- That is actually quite a depressing thought

Thank Post
    It's nothing like Linux saying that. Linux said here's some code to use as an operating system, you don't get a GUI. Someone esle went, fine I'll make one. Someone else went eugh I don't like that, I'll make it better.

To be fair if you dont' like she Windows shell go find another, there are plenty out there!

You can't compare an open source OS way of doing things to a company owned product.

Also, the Ribbon in Office is waaaay better than menus, actually moved me away from OpenOffice.

Thank Post
    For Classic Theme choose it under the 'Ease of Access' section in Themes.

16. Thanks to mrforgetful from:

RabbieBurns (13th January 2009)

Thank Post
    I'd argue for keeping the classic start menu at least for this release, but saying "In Windows 8, it's gone for good"

This is because they are going to have a large amount of XP to 7 migrations and in an organisation your unlikely to upgrade every system at once. For places like us who have the classic start menu still we'd want to keep both UI's looking as similar as possible during the upgrade. If they warned us that this was the final version it would be included in, it would give us time to move staff over to the new one once 7 is deployed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast