+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Hidden Features in Technical; If you people don't like the new theme of Windows 7, it's only set by default, it's not stopping you ...
    Thank Post

Wink Stop Complaining

If you people don't like the new theme of Windows 7, it's only set by default, it's not stopping you changing it, it does have the option for you to put it as XP theme.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    LOL - if it was just the case of changing a desktop theme I'd be happy. The problem is there are some more fundamental changes in the start menu and explorer windows that IMHO make Vista a nightmare to use (perhaps I just need to get used to it).

The problem though, as said above, is not my own personal likes and dislikes (what do I care I run OS X and Win XP and see no reason of ever changing!) but the problems with staff. By Windows 7 taking away the option for the Classic start menu, when the upgrade comes I will have to force staff to make the change and for no good reason.

As it is we are looking at removing Winsuite from our network next summer. I can only begin to imagine the grief I'm going to get from staff over that one but, finally enough, to be able to eventually migrate to Windows 7, Winsuite has got to go!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_91090 View Post
    If you people don't like the new theme of Windows 7, it's only set by default, it's not stopping you changing it, it does have the option for you to put it as XP theme.
    Cant find that option in Personalization - only seeing Windows Classic....

LIke the new "Slideshow" backgrounds (Right Click Desktop --> Next Desktop Background Picture), and the "Theme for United Kingdom" too...

Thank Post
    What Microsoft seem to be doing with the Windows UI at the moment makes me think of this...

Thank Post
    This is a beta. It is the time to comment constructively on the new features as well as hunt for bugs.

Change is inevitable and will always be so because the engineering mind is always looking for the tidy, more efficient and more convenient way to do anything. Some changes don't work out and get buried by history as dead ends.

The Ribbon introduced in Office 2007 is clearly a step forward in UI design for microsoft and is making its way into the company's other products steadily. There are people in my school still insist on having a windows 9x start menu and a my computer icon on their desktop or a computer is unusable. Meanwhile there are others who feel a computer is broken if they can't right on the my computer shortcut on a 2 pane XP start menu and choose "Explore".

I use a KDE4 Linux system, a Gnome 3 Linux system, a couple of command line only headless linux servers, several 2003R2 servers, an XP SP3 Desktop in work and a Vista machine at home. Not to mention a host of devices like playstations and smartphones etc. Everything has a UI that their respective designers thought was the best that could be done for that device. There is no doubt that some are more successful than others of course. When vista came out it was new and uncomfortable 2 years since the launch of Vista and the small programs menu really doesn't bother me anymore I just keep my program groups a bit tidier than I might have on XP or type the first 2 letters in the universal search if I'm being lazy. I also appreciate the cleaner screen layout with it rather than the infinite cascading of the windows 95 era programs menu. Otherwise its the same old 2 pane start menu as XP. The one poor decision in vista that I think will be gone for windows 7 is the network and sharing centre. That was a very poor UI design choice and I hope it is sorted.

My point is what was good about Vista will stay. What was bad will go and there will be some new features for time and us users to judge.

This isn't the time to be passing offhand damnations of it tho. Live with it for a few months and judge it on its merits instead of making a snap judgement like the users that we all have to support every day. Who complain about every carefully planned and tested update we make to our networks because its different.

Thank Post
    You make some good points there - I think the problem is that XP was the first OS for a lot of users who weren't "into" computers back in the days of 9x so changing the UI massively in Visa, then changing it again for 7 could end up being a right headache for the les technically inclined.

The Ribbon for programs is good, the Office 2007 designers did well there but I think when it comes to the OS wholescale changes aren't really what's needed. The under the hood improvements will be good but MS will have a hard time convincing people this is a "new" system... I guess that's why they want to distance the UI from anything beforehand so it feels more different

It does seem to run better than Vista did on less RAM so well done there, but really and truly it's still Vista SP2

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its not like the move away from the clasic style menus is something that has just been sprung on everyone, both XP and Vista have the newer start menu pannel as default which we transitioned to when we went up to Vista. It did upset a few of the teachers (as do any changes that force them to upskill) at first but with some training they are all copeing fine.

Thank Post
    I'm refuse to accept this 'teachers/users can't get used to the XP/Vista Start Menu'.

The reason is that anyone who has bought a computer since the launch of XP has been presented with the XP Start Menu and the people who are been used as excuses to stay with the classic menu are the ones least likely to have thought/been capable to have changed it back to the format of an OS relase over 10 years ago now.

Thank Post
    I don't mind the Start Menu, just realised some people are still asking for the really retrooooo Win 98 one, thought they were moaning about the change from XP type to Vista!

The thing I don't like is what they've done with the taskbar at the moment... very odd

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just found this rather interesting review of Windows 7 Beta on ars...

Deep inside the Windows 7 Public Beta: an in-depth tour: Page 1

To be honest I like the sound of the new task bar. Pretty much how the Apple Dock works in OS X. The XP start menu is more than OK, actually tidies up the desktop a bit. It's the Vista start menu, that's awful IMHO. And if Windows 7 is not giving users the choice, well that is just bad form. I think these two quotes from ars basically sums up my complaints

Luddites might be in for a shock, however; while Vista and XP both allowed the use of the "classic" (Windows 95-style) Start Menu in addition to the updated Start Panel, in Windows 7 there's no choice. It's the Start Panel or nothing.
    The new taskbar is a compulsory part of Windows 7. Just as Office 2007 gave no option to turn off the ribbon, there's no way to revert to the old taskbar. The appearance can be modified to better resemble the taskbar of old (including small icons, text labels, and less collapsing), but jump lists, customized icon behaviors, and the ability to mix running and non-running programs are all permanent.
    As for the themes, your right I don't like either XP's or (worse) Vista's default themes, but these are very easy to 'switch off', as other have pointed out.

Thank Post
    If you want some indepth articles I'm a big fan of WinSupersite and it'sWindows 7 Coverage is good too.

Also take a look at (incidentally) item number 7 on the list here http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2...7-secrets.aspx how handy will that be in school?
    Last edited by mrforgetful; 14th January 2009 at 03:30 PM.

Thank Post
    The only thing i like about Windows 7 is the startup screen when its loading. o and the Ribbons in paint, as i think the ribbons are good.

But we are having the same issues with Windows 7 as we had with Vista after playing with it today, be annoyances or just down sillyness.

To name a few

1) Deploying software via group policy, it just says "Please Wait". No idication of its installing software like Windows XP and 2000 did

2) Network Shares painfully slow to open because like Vista its reading the whole contents to then produce thumbnails for the folder image. What use to take 1 second in Windows NT 4, 95,98,ME, 2000 and XP now takes minutes.

3) Folder navigation is just painful now, it hurts my head. It just looks cluttered. Too much eye candy.

4) When you type Administrator into the logon box you get to "r" and it changes the Logon to from the domain to the local pc

i could go on and on and on, i like the new Windows 7 taskbar, but i do not like how you cannot distiguish between whats an open task and what is effectibly a quick launch application.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    i like the new Windows 7 taskbar, but i do not like how you cannot distiguish between whats an open task and what is effectibly a quick launch application.
    You can. Open progams have a box around them. Programs which have multiple windows open have like a stacked box thing, and closed programs are just the icon with no box around them...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    You can. Open progams have a box around them. Programs which have multiple windows open have like a stacked box thing, and closed programs are just the icon with no box around them...
    Just gone to have a look and your right, so i do not think it stands out enough, it still needs clearly seperating like Quick Launch was to the Open tasks.

SPC
    Thank Post
    I for one really like this OS. I like the funk that has been added and really find it a logical method for the taskbar to work this way (As long as this does not effect my memory usage). I do however agree that for users with less of a technical aptitude who really are technophobes and only use what they know, the classic menu can only generate more sales.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast