+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Hidden Features in Technical; Originally Posted by Gatt I think I heard that it should run on the same hardware specs as Vista Agreed ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I think I heard that it should run on the same hardware specs as Vista

Agreed - Re-market vista for the Home - and market Windwos 7 as a Business OS - as we had with 9x/ME and NT/2K
    I wish they would go back to the 2 seperate lines. Business wants a more stable life with the OS, like XP offered, not a new OS every couple of years and a must do upgrade because it now has flashy lights.

Maybe revamp XP a little and make that the business OS, then keep this Windows 7 for home users, who am i kidding, Microsoft would never do anything like that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    i would just like a small fast operating that was 64bit and just worked quickly and efficiently. All I want from an os is the ability to organise my files and run applications of my choosing. It should also be stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Sounds like you want Linux then...
    They are making progress in getting ASIO to play with Wine via Jack. If they ever do get it right ill be very tempted to put a nix distro on my main PC. I can live without games (although Wine is getting better at that too) but i cant live without my audio apps.

Same as ICT_Guy, all i want from my OS is for it to be quick and stable, thats it but MS cant even get that right. If i want to do x,y and z then i will download an application which will do x,y and z, and do it far better than Vista/etc does.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 13th January 2009 at 01:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I wish they would go back to the 2 seperate lines. Business wants a more stable life with the OS, like XP offered, not a new OS every couple of years and a must do upgrade because it now has flashy lights.

Maybe revamp XP a little and make that the business OS, then keep this Windows 7 for home users, who am i kidding, Microsoft would never do anything like that.
    I was thinking more along the lines of "Windows for people who arnt f'ing morons and actually understand how to use the 1000 peice of equipment they are sat infront of".
    Not really as snappy as Vista but...
    Last edited by j17sparky; 14th January 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I can see why revamping XP as a Business OS might not be an option. There were/are good reasons for merging the Home and Business lines. Most of the important changes between XP and Vista and Windows 7 are beneath the hood. The types of things that make the OS faster, more stable, able to take advantage of new hardware, etc.

Two lines - XP Home and XP Pro, Vista Home and Vista Business - is the right way to go. What I object to is the more obvious changes being forced upon end users who don't want them.

Why can I not have the Windows 7 kernel with the XP Classic GUI? But yes 12 different versions of Windows when they only need 2 is a little...silly!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    How can Apple release an OS that is backwards compatible, transition between CPU architectures and even run 32bit and 64bit apps side by side in one OS release - and M$ can't?
    Because Apple stick to their own hardware as opposed to having hundreds of manufacturers make stuff?

Thank Post
    does that still hold true with the transition to intel kit?

Thank Post
    Yes it does.

I'm sure they were almost co-habiting during that development phase and with how many manufacturers? Intel. 1.

How many make hardware for Windows PCs?

Thank Post
    There is NO such thing..., this annoys me. A PC is a PC. A hardware base, a collection of circuits, a non-intelligent non-SMT entity. x86, x64, Intel, Amd, Transmeta, whatever - THATS a PC. A Personal Computer.

Windows is an OS, OSX and linux ditto. There is no "windows PC", merely a PC with Windows on.

I know nothing about intel based macs, but I have to assume they can use industry standard hardware, surely? Even powerPC based Macs can use non-apple hardware - I've fitted non-apple kit into G3/G4 units before...no issue?

Sorry, but that's a very personal hatred...

Thank Post
    You know what I mean.

I mean a lot of manufacturers make hardware addins that work in a PC running Windows.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    There is NO such thing..., this annoys me. A PC is a PC. A hardware base, a collection of circuits, a non-intelligent non-SMT entity. x86, x64, Intel, Amd, Transmeta, whatever - THATS a PC. A Personal Computer.
    We could argue symantics here. IFAIR 'PC' derives from an IBM brand name from the 80's. IBM PC-XT and latter IBM PC-AT, which was then superseded by their PS2 models. The term 'PC' or more correctly 'PC Compatible' means a collection of hardware and software compatible with the original IBM PC models.

Yes PC was short for 'Personal Computer' as in IBM Personal Computer XT.

What your referring to as 'Personal Computer' may more correctly be labeled as 'Home Computer' or 'Desktop Computer'or, given the raw computing power of todays models, 'Workstations'.

Thank Post
    IIRC - a PC is technically anything that is "IBM Compatible" (aka Open System)- which dates right back to hwen Gates first approached IBM and "leased" DOS to IBM
    At the Same Time, Jobs was developing Apple, whcih was a closed system..

Wiki link - [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC"]IBM Personal Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influen..._the_PC_market

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    You know what I mean.

I mean a lot of manufacturers make hardware addins that work in a PC running Windows.
    Or Linux. Which isn't far removed from OSX..heh..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    We could argue symantics here. IFAIR 'PC' derives from an IBM brand name from the 80's. IBM PC-XT and latter IBM PC-AT, which was then superseded by their PS2 models. The term 'PC' or more correctly 'PC Compatible' means a collection of hardware and software compatible with the original IBM PC models.

Yes PC was short for 'Personal Computer' as in IBM Personal Computer XT.

What your referring to as 'Personal Computer' may more correctly be labeled as 'Home Computer' or 'Desktop Computer'or, given the raw computing power of todays models, 'Workstations'.
    Hell no, Personal Computer predates IBM, I'm sure. They just associated the term with a given box. Maybe not x86, but there's a wealth of "pre model 5100" kit that was in it's time referred to as "personal computer"

I refer you to "Personal Electronic Transactor", the Commodore PET. Lots of others too.

Or the Amstrad PCW.."Personal Computer WordProcessor".

PC has only become generic to IBM and clones since they became mainstream.

And please don't remind me of the PC-XT and the PS/2...gah..PS/2 Model 55SX with MCA, what a bag of angular spanners. Even upto the PS/Valuepoint models of the 90's, I hated that line..The 5100 and 5150 had character, the XT was a whiny dead end with a rakish case, and the AT was quite nice monolith in its way, but the PS series...aarghhhh...

Thank Post

Sorry guys !!

Hi
    I know people have mentioned it before in the last few days but its that issue with windows 7 and classic view (Start menu). I am using build 7000 and have looked everywhere to find a setting for classic even in `ease of access` but cannot find anything please help

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcwhoelse View Post
    Hi
    I know people have mentioned it before in the last few days but its that issue with windows 7 and classic view (Start menu). I am using build 7000 and have looked everywhere to find a setting for classic even in `ease of access` but cannot find anything please help
    I think it's been concluded that the Classic Start Menu is gone, only the awful basic Classic Theme remains.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast