+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Hidden Features in Technical; Its the GUI changes in Vista i hated most about it, and if 7 is the same i'm not going ...
    Thank Post
    Its the GUI changes in Vista i hated most about it, and if 7 is the same i'm not going to like it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not just my own dislike for recent M$ GUI changes that I need to think about. The bigger question is the wider teaching staff. The kids (as they always do) will cope fine with whatever is put in front of them. But the majority of the (mostly older) teachers are lot more conservative and resistant to change than I am.

For this reason I'm advocating a change to OpenOffice here over newer releases of M$ Office.

The suggestion of alternative shells for Windows (or skinning apps for that matter) just doesn't work. My previous experience with alternative shells for XP found them to make the OS more unstable - greater chances of BSOD's and incompatibilities.

Thank Post
    I Like the XP theme and the Vista Theme - and from what I've seen of Win7 I think I'll like it too..

Im not a fan of the Classic 9x theme but it does have its uses at times.

[rant]
    Things change.. deal with it..
    [/rant]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    yeh, ive kinda gotten over the old start menu thing now. But i really dont like the themes windows uses. Never have even with XP. I like the Classic Theme. If its gone too, I'll be sad. (Although its probably trivial for someone to knock up a custom theme based on the classic theme I guess?)
    it does have the classic theme under ease of access

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    It's not just my own dislike for recent M$ GUI changes that I need to think about. The bigger question is the wider teaching staff. The kids (as they always do) will cope fine with whatever is put in front of them. But the majority of the (mostly older) teachers are lot more conservative and resistant to change than I am.

For this reason I'm advocating a change to OpenOffice here over newer releases of M$ Office.

The suggestion of alternative shells for Windows (or skinning apps for that matter) just doesn't work. My previous experience with alternative shells for XP found them to make the OS more unstable - greater chances of BSOD's and incompatibilities.
    Please note, this is only discussion, im not trying to cause an argument... but with that way of thinking, nothing will ever change because people claim they cant adjust.

Short story is they will whine and bitch... but eventually they will get used to it.

Lets not forget, there are settings in the new taskbar which makes it look ALOT like the old taskbar... so it's not even that much of an issue.

About my previous post about the compatibility code. I didnt say the old taskbar code caused the whole os to be unstable. What i was saying is if you leave a little old code here, then some more over there... etc etc etc it quickly gets messy. MS are heading in the right direction. They wont get it perfect the first time (aka, vista), but windows 7 is certainly a step in the right direction.

I have members of staff here who hate computers. They didnt smile when we said we were going to use sims for reports etc. They whined and moaned till they turned blue. 6 months later they are happy using it and are amazed at how much time they are now saving.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    it does have the classic theme under ease of access
    Cheers. I'm glad they changed that from "accessibility" now :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Cheers. I'm glad they changed that from "accessibility" now :P
    Oi dammit I said it first! *whine*

Thank Post
    i would just like a small fast operating that was 64bit and just worked quickly and efficiently. All I want from an os is the ability to organise my files and run applications of my choosing. It should also be stable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    i would just like a small fast operating that was 64bit and just worked quickly and efficiently. All I want from an os is the ability to organise my files and run applications of my choosing. It should also be stable.
    Sounds like you want Linux then...

Thank Post
    There's some stuff that needed changing in Windows 7 - performance being one of the biggies but some stuff just needs leaving alone... what benefit is there in changing the taskbar honestly

After using it for a while Vista looks slick and the Start Menu works ok if you type the name of the program rather than browsing for it. For me what they've done in 7 just looks odd and doesn't seem to make any noticeable improvement.

Change for change's sake?

And the one thing that does need changing, MS ain't got the guts to do... kill of 32-bit be brave!

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If only it just *worked* as easily as Windows does... had a few goes with different distros and none just went straight through
    Last edited by gshaw; 13th January 2009 at 12:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Killing off 32bit is great, but not everyone is running 64bit architecture in their computers - I don't think half of our computers are 64bit...

Thank Post
    Win7 is still going to be shipped in x86 and X64 - think its just Win2k8 R2 thats going x64 for now...

Thank Post
    How well will they run 7 anyway then? Thought I read somewhere that Microsoft is making 7 so it'll run on "2007 hardware", which is practically all 64-bit.

Or are MS going for the magic bullet and trying to make 7 run on everything back to a 500MHz PIII?

I also really hope they abandon the stupid number of versions from Vista, although seeing the Beta as Windows 7 Ultimate doesn't inspire much confidence. Whatever was wrong with Home and Pro?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    See now I'm going to be accused of starting a fan boy flame war (which honestly wasn't my intentions with the above posts) - I like and have a certain amount of respect for Windows XP SP2 ... Honest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post

Erm, more like MacOS

Killing off 32bit is great, but not everyone is running 64bit architecture in their computers - I don't think half of our computers are 64bit...
    Again like MacOS. How can Apple release an OS that is backwards compatible, transition between CPU architectures and even run 32bit and 64bit apps side by side in one OS release - and M$ can't?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    How well will they run 7 anyway then? Thought I read somewhere that Microsoft is making 7 so it'll run on "2007 hardware", which is practically all 64-bit.

Or are MS going for the magic bullet and trying to make 7 run on everything back to a 500MHz PIII?
    I think I heard that it should run on the same hardware specs as Vista

I also really hope they abandon the stupid number of versions from Vista, although seeing the Beta as Windows 7 Ultimate doesn't inspire much confidence. Whatever was wrong with Home and Pro?!
    Agreed - Re-market vista for the Home - and market Windwos 7 as a Business OS - as we had with 9x/ME and NT/2K

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast