+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Windows 7 Thread, Windows7..What do you think? in Technical; Judging by Microsoft's recent announcements, 2011 sounds a distant way, especially since new OEM Pc's (from June? or July?) with ...
    Thank Post
    Judging by Microsoft's recent announcements, 2011 sounds a distant way, especially since new OEM Pc's (from June? or July?) with qualifying editions of Vista come with a free upgrade to Windows 7... that implies to me, an early 2010 release... if not a late '09 release...

Especially since they are skipping their usual number of BETA and RC editions, one more BETA, one RC before going gold I think I read...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    Judging by Microsoft's recent announcements, 2011 sounds a distant way, especially since new OEM Pc's (from June? or July?) with qualifying editions of Vista come with a free upgrade to Windows 7... that implies to me, an early 2010 release... if not a late '09 release...

Especially since they are skipping their usual number of BETA and RC editions, one more BETA, one RC before going gold I think I read...
    Yh i read that aswell, but tbh if they keep it up then there should be no problem in that

looking good so far we shall see what the BETA 2 brings us

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNorth View Post
    I rarely take notice of scheduled release dates or speculation in the press, most of it is complete trash, plus Microsoft know exactly when the market is right to introduce a New OS... If I had to hazard a wild guess I will speculate that Windows 7 will be being shipped on New machines by Janurary 2011 at the earliest. Windows Vista will be five years old by then if I am not mistaken?

The best thing to do is to Assume Nothing, Watch, wait and listen, I will always have time for any OS or any piece of software that Microsoft release; when it is released. I think that Microsoft have played the biggest role in revolutionising the world when it comes to desktop computing. We have gone through the first step in a technology revolution and Windows Vista and Windows 7 are examples of which direction the technology is advancing.

For some people including some technical people I have worked with Microsoft are dammed if they do and they are dammed if they don't.

The thing is if it were any other company who were developing the most popular and succesful operating system on planet Earth for example Sun Microsystem or Apple.... They would also be dammed if they do and Dammed if they don't.

Simon

MCP
    I happen to think your well off, irrespective of what features MS decide to add and how the beta's progress i don't believe RTM or OEMs shipping 7 machines is going to slip into 2011. I know about history and Microsoft release schedules but nonetheless....

I don't happen to think it's particularly important to the world of computing if, when and how many versions of 7 are released. In the medium-term, embedded hypervisors whether they be an MS winmin style thing, or an open source one like Xen, will be shipped defacto with PC's....on top of these hypervisors applications and desktops will be streamed either from a home server or from the cloud eventually through a browser or a VDI client.
    Full featured operating systems like linux will also be installable in an easy non-interactive manner as will whatever version of windows one chooses. Microsoft know this full well, that's why they need to focus on a modular OS and more importantly beefin up SaaS applications.

windows 7 is a nice little diversion.

Thank Post
    The next release will actually be the one and only release candidate (see here), and then after that the final RTM. It's a very very short cycle for this version - the beta is actually feature complete.

Speculation is currently for the RC to appear in april, with RTM appearing 3Q/4Q 2009. RTM means that it starts shipping with new OEM PC's, with retail release normally 1-2 months afterwards (volume license release is somewhere between these two). However MS have also mentioned that they're going for a much shorter time between RTM and retail, so I'm currently expecting Windows 7 to be out 4Q 2009/1Q 2010.

5. Thanks to Soulfish from:

torledo (6th February 2009)

Thank Post
    "Cloud OS" is slated for a soonish release... or that's what was said back in October...

The next full version of Windows is rumoured to be built using Microsoft's Midori project...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's something I'm not looking forward to. I personally prefer the idea of going back to industrial unit size computers and Dos 3.33 over using "cloud" based services, and a majority of the enthusiast market agree. Shouldn't be something we'd have to worry about if common sense prevails, anyway - certainly not in corporate environments.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Usual unbiased rubbish from ZDNet, who are second only in technical incompetence to the BBC.

Course they're going to be similar, it's not entirely different to KDE3. Or Vista. Or anything, really. There's only so much you can do with a GUI, and you can make any version of windows look like any other, and make any Linux distribution look like any other, or Windows. The same argument gets thrown around about Mac OSX too, which Vista was apparently a copy of. The same people soon get shirty when I point out Apple had next to nothing to do with OSX other than a logo here and there.

And what do people on the street care what the difference is visually? Most of them are too much like sheep to think that Vista could actually be quite good in the right circumstances. But they shouldn't have to, they should be able to sit in front of a computer and find their way around it with as little difficulty as possible. It should just work. They don't care what the name of it is.

Thank Post
    Well I was way off with that one lol

Thank Post
    Yip! ;-)

Thank Post
    lets see how windows 8 is going to be

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information