+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows7..What do you think? in Technical; I've been running it on a full inst sinse the Pre-BETA Release... and then when the public BETA came out ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been running it on a full inst sinse the Pre-BETA Release... and then when the public BETA came out i installed it on my laptop aswell

Thank Post
    Running it full time on iMac, not had any issues with it so far except for one, I can't browse a Mac server for some reason! if I put the share after the server, it goes to the share absolutely fine, but it won't list the shares! very strange

Other than that, very fast and responsive

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I've stuck it on an Acer Travelmate 290 (Pentium 1.5, 512Mb RAM) and it doesn't run too bad. No drivers for the Intel wireless or the 855 Video yet though.

I do have some concerns both from posters on this thread and in general about support for older equipment. Our machines are three years old but run perfectly fine for the software applications we use (mainly Office, Macromedia & Photoshop Elements).

We have major funding issues and there is no way the school would justify replacing computers just for a new OS. We don't all have massive budgets (some of us don't actually have any budget).

Well exactly - that falls nicely under the technical description of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" As long as there remains a decent amount of interoperability and backward compatibility we'll be all good.

rad
    Thank Post
    Downloaded it and installed it in past 24hrs. Thought it would be different menu etc but its not, just trying to iron out a few things atm.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've now got it set up as my windows admin station. So far, only our Microboards GX2 cd duplicator doesn't work, Wasp Asset management software can't interface with PDAs (active sync isn't used any more and wasp requires it), VNC enterprise manager requires itself to be run in vista compatibility mode (but runs 100% fine when it is), and the windows 2003 server r2 admin pack doesn't install.

My VOIP software (qutecom), ABTutor control, Office 2007, VMWare Infrastructure Client all work fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your not actually trying to manage your live network using Windows 7 are you?!?!
    Thats very risky in beta 1 stage. Maybe a RC but its hard to tell all the changes and mmc things that break due to it.

Thank Post
    windows 2003 server r2 admin pack doesn't install.
    You need the 2008 RSAT kit, There's a thread about it in the windows 7 area.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Your not actually trying to manage your live network using Windows 7 are you?!?!
    Thats very risky in beta 1 stage. Maybe a RC but its hard to tell all the changes and mmc things that break due to it.
    Only using the old tools... I'd not be trying the management tools that come with Windows 7 etc...

And then, the only management I actually regularly do is adding pupils. Everything else I do via TS.

And as said, as the MMC tools don't work at all, I will be doing it via TS.

Also, I doubt MS are going to be making a massive amount of changes betwen now and release - maybe one RC if we're lucky.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Installed it here on my main work PC. Exluded it from all the GPOs of course.

Thank Post
    I think I've fallen in love with Windows 7 over "bitlocker to go" alone.

For those unaware of what bitlocker is, it's basically a method to encrypt drives. It was in Vista, but it was limited to hard drives only. "Bitlocker to go" is an extension of this that allows it to be applied to USB devices.

Via group policy administrators can set it so that any new USB device connected is read only by default. They can not be written to without the user turning on bitlocker and setting a password. Once that's done they can use it like any normal device. Plugging the key into any PC post XP SP3 brings up a password entry form. No password, no joy.

I've only briefly played with it and I'm really impressed. Being able to encrypt staff data keys natively without spending a ton on some other software is really useful.

Thank Post
    Until they forget the password. Is there any way to set an administrator over-ride??

Thank Post
    ~Goes to plug into linux~

I'm waiting for someone to hack it, note it's not hardware encryption. So your I\O performance will take a hit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by actech View Post
    Until they forget the password. Is there any way to set an administrator over-ride??
    Yeah, Domain Administrators get access to the password reset key by default.

~Goes to plug into linux~
    Yeah, unlikely it works with linux. I'm not sure about Mac support either.

Thank Post
    Mmm, really got to pull finger out and have a look at win7 me thinks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    I think I've fallen in love with Windows 7 over "bitlocker to go" alone.

For those unaware of what bitlocker is, it's basically a method to encrypt drives. It was in Vista, but it was limited to hard drives only. "Bitlocker to go" is an extension of this that allows it to be applied to USB devices.

Via group policy administrators can set it so that any new USB device connected is read only by default. They can not be written to without the user turning on bitlocker and setting a password. Once that's done they can use it like any normal device. Plugging the key into any PC post XP SP3 brings up a password entry form. No password, no joy.

I've only briefly played with it and I'm really impressed. Being able to encrypt staff data keys natively without spending a ton on some other software is really useful.

This is an interesting feature deffinitely, i currently use truecrypt to encrypt usb pens but if the staff member needs to use their pen drive in the ict suite or on the network at all they cant because of the limited privaliges they get and such cannot install the driver or mount the usb pen into windows.

This would cut out a lot of ballache if the encryption technology is good enough and secure enough for what we need.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information