+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows7..What do you think? in Technical; I agree with tmcd35. Why aren't people using 64bit. Both Intel and AMD use 64bit. Why run a new OS ...

Thank Post
    I agree with tmcd35. Why aren't people using 64bit. Both Intel and AMD use 64bit.
    Why run a new OS on an old dog. It will only slow up when you add more programs.

32bit is still OK for school use and word processing for now.

Thank Post
    Looks nice but i havent had much time to play with it, also have had to install it on a VM with a minimum amount of ram and processor power.

Really need to find a spare laptop i can abuse as i dont fancy sticking it on my gaming machine at home =)

From what i have tried i do like but i really dont like the vista esque start menu, just bring back the XP one, that worked fine and looked better imo than the vista one.

Taskbar grouping of items without text is different, quite hard to differentiate between quick launch items and running programs however.

all in all, so far, its a deffinite improvement on vista

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    x86-64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intel processors have been 64bit since march 2004, that's nearly 5. the chances of anyone wanting to run Windows 7 not having a 64bit processor is getting more and more remote.

Anyone with 32bit only processors are either going to be looking at a new PC with Win or wouldn't want to run anything more advanced than XP SP2 any way.

We are a district with 22,000+ desktops. Are you going to provide the funding for HW upgrades?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimJing View Post
    We are a district with 22,000+ desktops. Are you going to provide the funding for HW upgrades?

Are you really using desktops greater than 5 years of age? If so what is your upgrade/replacement cycle? What OS are you currently running on those 5+yrs machines? Are you really going to pay out for 22,000+ upgrades from which ever OS to Win7 on machines that are that old?

If your machines are newer, then they are more than likely 64bit and I can report that Win7 runs very comfortably off 1gb of Ram (couldn't say that about Vista!).

Also the machine you reported as running Win 7 on in 32bit mode, a Dell Optiplex 755 with 2Gb Ram, is a current model with a 64bit processor - so I fail to see the problem, sorry

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimJing View Post

WOW! all on a single domain controller I bet (jk)

On a side point you should say hello in the US general chat forums if your feeling brave

I can see why MS want to support 32bit but if this enterprise virtualisation stuff gets off it could help. I think it running a stripped xp 32bit shell to run a old app would be good. Not looked at the beta yet though, not had time.

Thank Post
    I however disagree with the 64 bit only version release.
    It's only Windows 2008 server R2 that is 64 bit only, Windows 7 itself is 32bit and 64bit.
    I'm glad the client is 32bit still, as a few of my families PC's are still 32bit, but will run Windows 7 fine. Not to mention that a lot of netbooks still run 32bit CPU's. Of course tho, I fully expect the next version to be 64 only

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    if this enterprise virtualisation stuff gets off it could help. I think it running a stripped xp 32bit shell to run a old app would be good. Not looked at the beta yet though, not had time.
    Aaahhh, the Apple solution Run your old OS as a VM and get it to launch automatically/transparently in the background when it's needed by a legacy app.

It's how they managed the switch from OS9 -> OS-X, and the switch from PPC -> Intel (Rosetta)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Aaahhh, the Apple solution Run your old OS as a VM and get it to launch automatically/transparently in the background when it's needed by a legacy app.
    Um Microsoft were doing that with Windows NT long before Apple even brought out OS9. It was called WOW ( [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_on_Windows"]Windows on Windows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] ) newer 64-bit Windows OSs also contain [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64"]WOW64[/ame] which allows them to run 32bit apps transparently. Myth busted

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Strictly speaking we should have been entirely 64bit certainly more than 5 years ago - heels have been dragged and tongues clucked for far too long. As convenient as it is for people with 32bit only hardware, I'm annoyed that W7 actually still has a 32bit option. I was annoyed that Vista did, and moreso that XP64 took so long, and even though it's here and "working" it's bloody awful in support times.

Too many people to blame for that - AMD, Intel, just about anyone too lazy to write the relevant software modifications. It's no better than the "Millennium Bug" in coding and development terms.

Thank Post
    I love it, it runs so well on my Sammy NC10 everything works except my VPN clients... but even Sonicwall and Netgears are rushing a fix through asap for that.
    I have got 2Gb of Ram in the Sammy but the Green Button functions of W7 Ultimate all seem to work brilliantly.
    For the first time ever I haven't needed to install a load of codecs all my video files just work even the old ASF formats that I shot in NZ 4 years ago worked and I haven't been able to get both Sound and Vision from these in Vista at all!
    Love it, Love it, Love it roll on RTM....

Thank Post
    I'm running it on a crappy, old inspiron 8600 with a 1.4Ghz single core 32-bit cpu and it runs great. The same machine was unable to run vista to a usable level. Programs are responsive and the new layout of the taskbar is great, although the docking apps idea i'm sure i've seen that somewhere else... A massive step in the right direction for m$.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This beta does seem to be doing a very good job at changing peoples perceptions of Microsofts OS. Gizmodo the 'slightly' Mac biased tech news site has even allowed this article on their site:

Giz Explains: Why the Windows 7 Taskbar Beats Mac OS X's Dock

Thank Post
    I have been pretty impressed with it, on a VM machine it seems to be fairly stable as well and more responsive.

Thank Post
    Anyone crazy enough to run it full time on a work machine yet?
    I'm tempted to, but the fact that Sims doesn't work it on yet and of course the fact that it's beta shys me off it. Although I did start running the later Vista RC's when they was released.

I have it fulltime on my home system and it's kinda annoying going back to Vista without it's lovely window management features (dragging to the top etc)

Thank Post
    Been running it since Wednesday, didn't like my USB phone, but neither did Vista, needed to rip the DLL from XP and replace it, no biggie though.

Awesome for copying files, IE8 doesn't crash like IE7 constantly did for me, Office 2007 works brilliantly, RSAT work well, haven't tried Server Manager (if it's even there...)

All in all, pretty good, hasn't crashed once.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information