+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows7..What do you think? in Technical; Also the fact they've now implemented SteadyState will make having to use DeepFreeze a thing of the past... Sandbox users ...

Thank Post
    Also the fact they've now implemented SteadyState will make having to use DeepFreeze a thing of the past...

Sandbox users with Windows 7 PC Safeguard - istartedsomething

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    that's how it is for me in XP and Vista too... SSD's are quicker read than they are write too aren't they?

Do the early builds have that 'peek' feature they were tooting and the new calculator?
    Tis to do with the fact Microsoft has actually started to look at SSD and change there filing system. Vista called it readyboost. The reason microsoft claims (old) windows is slower with SSD is the fact NTFS (etc) has a algorithm that takes into account the slow disc response, bad sectors etc. Personally Linux\Unix has had it for ages, Mac has had it for a while. Microsoft is still "Beta".

PS: I wish Windows would just kill 32bit! Come on!! 64bit makes sence. Everything nowadays is 64bit (well almost) hardware

Thank Post
    Making a 32-bit version of Windows 7 is a big mistake imo. It's holding back hardware now due to the RAM restrictions and most 32-bit software will run anyway in emulation so why bother

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Making a 32-bit version of Windows 7 is a big mistake imo. It's holding back hardware now due to the RAM restrictions and most 32-bit software will run anyway in emulation so why bother

Totally agree. Going only 64bit would force every dev to move to full 64bit support moving us forward. However I would image the 32bit version is down to the sales department (damm the person who feeds them data about the "end user")

Thank Post
    It's probably just concerns about legacy apps, but things do have to move along at some point....

As long as they can get native, or near-native performance using emulation then there's no reason to stay with 32-bit. Let's face it, applications like Photoshop and any video-editing tools need lots of memory to play in.

I was playing Supreme Commander the other day, and that used a full gigabyte to itself on the large maps. With the price of memory so cheap, v-memory is old hat.

Thank Post
    Installed Beta 1 last night, OK but I don't like that 'dock' thing at the bottom.

Also they have implemented some dodgy anti-keylogger software which means if you use any push to talk software (Ventrilo, Teamspeak) You have to be on the desktop or in the program to use it, click into another program and that key only affects that program.

FAIL

Nice backgrounds it comes with though. - scraping barrel and all that.

Happy new year btw everyone!

Thank Post
    W7 has been great on my home PC, been running it as the main os since the day it came out! Surprised me how much quicker it was than Vista but still looks as good.

The ribbon at the bottom takes some getting used to for sure but the jump lists are really useful and integration of touch and the other gestures to the GUI do really make it stand out. Ive found the half maximise functions great for doing coursework with a PDF open on one side and Openoffice on the other.

It found all my drivers on the PC and has managed to update the GFX card and others without a restart which is also a nice change!

Media center has had a facelift which is great and now seems to work with my analogue and digital input at the same time.

Seems good atm hopefully they dont ruin it before its released!!

Thank Post
    I had that prob with teamspeak on Vista, have u tried running it with elevated privaledges? Worked on the beta of vista when i first tried it :s

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Ive found the half maximise functions great for doing coursework with a PDF open on one side and Openoffice on the other.
    Accident waiting to happen.

2000 > Care home
    XP > Middle-Aged
    Vista > Aston Martin DB9 with no breaks
    Windows 7 > Twinkle in the fathers eye
    Last edited by matt40k; 21st January 2009 at 10:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 820 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am loving Windows 7, I did upgrades on a laptop and desktop. Both took AGES to run but they both seem to work fine but CS4 software has some GUI glitches which may be fixed by a reinstall.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Almost hate to admit it but...I like it!

Feels a lot faster than Vista. Less security nagging, and less notification pop-ups - both a big bonus. Like the new taskbar. The Windows 7 Basic theme is OK. Actually looks better than the Windows Classic theme given the taskbar change.

Still not comfortable with some of the changes carried over from Vista. Hate the start menu. I need a cascading programs menu! The address bar in Explorer doesn't work for me. Also not keen on the general explorer window layout. It looks more like Windows Media Player. I'm not sure about the layout/use of the side pane.

But my gripes are about personal preferences in the general style of things not the usability of the actual OS itself. A marked improvement over vista.

Thank Post
    Im hoping Capita start looking into why SIMS is throwing an error just after login...
    Once that's fixed (and FMS) then I would happily roll out Windows 7

Have installed it on a few laptops tthat cme with XP - they coped with Vista but so far Win7 is making them fly along!

Considering this is Public Beta 1 - I am very impressed!

Love the Jump Lists on the Start Menu and the Taskbar

one gripe though - the Network Icon on the system tray.. In Vista if you were on the Internet - you got a little Globe icon over it - this seems to be missing in Win7 - this was really good for ensuring you had an Internet connection..

Thank Post
    I think it is the best OS yet. I have the 64bit version on a Quad Phenom 2.4 with 4G of RAM and it flies along. Even with Norton 360 intalled.

Thank Post
    I have had it running for a few days now. It is pretty darn smooth for a MS beta product. Everything seems to work smoothly, guess we shall see how the Windows Server Tool support is when the official version comes out.

I however disagree with the 64 bit only version release. I am running it on a Dell 755 in 32 bit mode with 2 gigs of ram. The performance is much faster than a Vista machine running the same HW. Backward compatibility is MS's game, you should not have to have the latest and greatest HW just to run an os.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimJing View Post
    I
    I however disagree with the 64 bit only version release. I am running it on a Dell 755 in 32 bit mode with 2 gigs of ram. The performance is much faster than a Vista machine running the same HW. Backward compatibility is MS's game, you should not have to have the latest and greatest HW just to run an os.
    x86-64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intel processors have been 64bit since march 2004, that's nearly 5. the chances of anyone wanting to run Windows 7 not having a 64bit processor is getting more and more remote.

Anyone with 32bit only processors are either going to be looking at a new PC with Win or wouldn't want to run anything more advanced than XP SP2 any way.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information