+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 in Technical; Originally Posted by Quackers I think it would be funny if business/education give it the same backlash as they did ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I think it would be funny if business/education give it the same backlash as they did Vista and XP still stays king. Would be interesting to see how Microsoft would respond to it.
    Maybe they'd then get their finger out of their ass and make something people actually want rather than filling an OS full of bloated junk and then having the cheek to tell their customers they are stupid for not being fooled... maybe even impliment some of the things which have been in the pipeline for years, WinFS and a decent audio protocol spring to mind.

From what ive used of Win7 its certainly a step forward from Vista, but tbh i have a feeling its only because in Beta its just a striped down version of Vista

2. Thanks to j17sparky from:

farmerste (27th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been playing with this extensively, and so far I'm very impressed with it.

The tweaks, substantial in number but subtle in effect change it from having the "confusing" setup you get with Vista, a new user could often spend ages looking for what they want which was a step back even from XP. Now it's challenging and imo surpassing OSX in user interface intuition.

The performance is excellent - in a VM on here it runs at the same speed as the host (Vista x64). It also runs as a primary OS on one of my laptops - an El Awful Emachines 2ghz Celeron/1gb ram - and it's quicker than XP by quite a margin. On a separate partition on this high powered machine it's like greased excrement off a shovel.

Some of the features are looking promising - the clunky and outright confusing networking system (from a UI pov) in Vista has been ditched and forgotten about, and the HomeGroups addition is a breath of fresh air from the POV of a newer user - and, unlike Vista even in the hands of some hardened windows gurus, just works.

The Ribbon interface has found its way into some of the built in apps - wordpad, paint as two examples. I personally *hate* it but many new users seem to love it and find it a lot easier to use - which can't be bad. I probably only hate it as I love seeing file/edit/format/ etc toolbars and I'm a stick-in-the-mud

Bugs : there's a few slight issues - long FQ domain names, some issues with Adobe CS4 and a couple of memory leaks noticed by many with the start menu - all however expected from a beta OS release.

Considering this *is* a beta, both myself and many other people believe it's rather more polished than Vista was at release stage. I certainly feel it's what Vista should have been, and feel slightly begrudged that this isn't the OS released in February 2007. If it was, MS would have saved themselves rather a lot of hassle and adverse publicity. For the time being though, it looks like they're onto a winner - an OS that's easier to use, works quickly and behaves (almost) as it should. As for "things missing, being a beta" comments I'm seeing a lot of, mostly from people that haven't actually used, seen or tried it, it's very complete. It is in fact the "Ultimate" version, which like Vista should contain just about everything. Installed it's a smidgen under 7gb which is less than an installation of Vista Basic. So 10gb will easily get you a high performance office system, leaving more room for your Roflcat picture collection and iTunes repositories

I'm currently hammering it with a bit of high-demand application - running VMWare with 7 as a host, emulating an 8 machine network with domain controller, and it seems rather more responsive than with Vista as a host. The tweaks may be subtle but they just seem to work.

But, and the big but - let's reserve judgement for the release candidates and the RTM where it matters to the important people - the customers

Oh and as a signing off little tip: if anyone's having issues with drivers, the Vista drivers for just about everything *will* work: you may however need to run the setup file in "Vista Compatibility Mode" for it to work - creative shams X-Fi cards are a common one for this.

4. 2 Thanks to synaesthesia:

ahuxham (16th January 2009), TronXP (16th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw;272448... only true way to tell would be to install it on one of our old Sempron boxes :p
    Strange you should say that...My main Sempron64 1.6 is creaking on XPSP3, so I'm aiming for a reinstall anyway, and might just go for this for a laugh..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 15th January 2009 at 10:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Has anybody ever managed to get around this problem i'm having (we have the same in Vista too)

We create a local user account with just normal user privilages, like we would in XP/2000. We logon, customise this how we want, run Office 2003 to get rid of the Installer on first run, and do any little app tweaks.

We log off, go to the User Profile Manager, click this profile , do "copy to" C:\Users\Default User and set the Security to Everyone.

It never works, Vista will say "you have been logged on with a tempory profile due to an issue with your profile" and Windows 7 says "The user profile service was unable to load your profile"

I cannot find anything on the net saying we should be doing some other step in Vista/Windows 7. Am i missing one out?

Thank Post
    this may be related or a similar issue of just deleteing the user profile from the %systemdrive%\users folder. there is a corrisponding registery tree as well as the directory and in Vista / 2008 TS if you remove just the directory you get the same error message.. perhaps the defualt user prof probs you are having is the opposite to this or maybe you need to assign eveyone rights to the appropriate part of the reg hive too.. cant remember where it is not at work any more but they are all listed under a folder called Profiles or something...

interesting Delprof doesn't work either as it misses out cleaning this the registry part of the user profiles..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Has anybody ever managed to get around this problem i'm having (we have the same in Vista too)

We create a local user account with just normal user privilages, like we would in XP/2000. We logon, customise this how we want, run Office 2003 to get rid of the Installer on first run, and do any little app tweaks.

We log off, go to the User Profile Manager, click this profile , do "copy to" C:\Users\Default User and set the Security to Everyone.

It never works, Vista will say "you have been logged on with a tempory profile due to an issue with your profile" and Windows 7 says "The user profile service was unable to load your profile"

I cannot find anything on the net saying we should be doing some other step in Vista/Windows 7. Am i missing one out?
    I noticed this with Vista, you need to use the built in profile copying functions, doing it manually like you always have with XP doesn't work.

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> User Profiles, Settings -> Copy To

Good Luck

Matt

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Long speech. . . [snipped]
    I agree with everything you had to say. 7 is clearly the OS of the future, they've done it right this time.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Yeah I like that, and the 'Snipping Tool'

Thank Post
    Snipping tool is good - but neither the Vista tool or the Win7 tool can cope with Menus..

the PSR has potential - not just for faults - but for also using as a basic "How To..." tool..

Thank Post
    I do like the PSR, but I was confused as to why the steps are shown only in a webpage as opposed to being an actual video with notations...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is why the "feedback" option is apparent on (nearly) all the windows in windows 7

Thank Post

Capturing Menus with the Snipping tool

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Snipping tool is good - but neither the Vista tool or the Win7 tool can cope with Menus..

the PSR has potential - not just for faults - but for also using as a basic "How To..." tool..
    Acutally, they both support screen captures of menus. The problem is it is not an obvious process. if you dig into the help file you will find it relatively easily, here's the online help:

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots - Windows Vista Help

John Wiese
    ISV Architect Evangelist
    Microsoft

16. Thanks to jwiese from:

ZeroHour (24th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    I agree with everything you had to say. 7 is clearly the OS of the future, they've done it right this time.
    +1 I really enjoy using W7

Thank Post
    Well TechNet & MSDN get the RC on the 30th (I know what I'm doing that day!), public on 5th May.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast