+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 & Azure in Technical; Thoughts on the following? Microsoft shows off Windows 7 operating system - Telegraph...

Thank Post

Windows 7 & Azure

Thank Post
    Also MS to offer online version of Office to compete with Google Docs

Microsoft Office Comes to the Browser (Finally) - ReadWriteWeb

Thank Post
    these are all very exciting but I think you need to be looking at Microsoft Geneva. Microsoft are developing a sync tool that will allow you connect your AD to LiveID and Office online that is also OpenID. This could solve so many single sign on issuies
    http://entmag.com/news/rss.asp?editorialsid=10330

The also showed a lot to do with Live Mesh - have many people tried this yet?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still waiting for the other clients for Live mesh as it is ok, but a tad naff if you are multi-device *and* multi-platform!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kennylang74 View Post
    I've been reading some articles about Windows7 at PDC and was impressed to be honest. They seem to make some proper progress with that OS and it's development moves faster than it was with Vista. It's easy to tell that they want to finish it by 2010 and push it to the market as soon as possible.
    Hopefully codename will not be changed again, as theres already been a change from Blackcomb to Seven!

Thank Post
    Windows 7 looks promising but I don't trust any form of cloud computing, nor would I ever trust Virgin (crappy) Internet or any other ISP to be my sole link to data and apps once it all goes online

Thank Post
    I have a sneak preview screenshot of Windows 7 that one our spies was able to get hold of, note they have replaced the taskbar with a much better interface that shows the icons of the programs running. Also note the ability to group folders and the new media player and video / audio editing software...

Last edited by somabc; 29th October 2008 at 04:17 PM.

Thank Post

Windows 7 and the end of MS dominance - my latest anti-MS rant

Do you like Vista? If so then you'll probably like Win7 as its basically more of the same. Couple of minor tweaks here and there but the thing is that MS right royally pissed off a whole lot of people by randomly changing the well established, well known Windows desktop layout and so they've been promising that not much is going to change in Windows 7. So if you don't like Vista's new way of doing things, you prob won't like it under 7 either.

"Upgrade now!" say MS! Why? Coz Ballmer says so! Give us your money- and lots of it too. No support mind- that'll be £200 a call thank you very much sire

How could MS make Windows 7 a new and exciting OS, something that could fairly compete with Linux and OSX?

1- Open source it and make the software totally free, just charge for support, manuals, physical media and other services like most of the other OS vendors.

2 - Remove all the DRM and 'National Security' / big media / MS spyware

3- Optimise it intensely so it could run on older and embedded hardware

Chances of any of them happening? Slim to non-existent of course.

Have you guys seen just how well Linux runs on say an Athlon with 256MB RAM and an equally old graphics card? You can run GNOME with compiz 3D desktop effects really quite well- 512MB RAM and you're laughing. Vista STINKS on anything less than 2GB RAM and you're not getting away with any less than a high end P4 cpu for even approaching semi-usable performance.

MS are convicted criminals who rob our nations tax payers of MILLIONS (£60M+ a year I hear, thats just our schools!) a year- for what? How many times over have they paid for Windows development and really just how much has Windows improved since 2000 compared to Linux? Linux is just going to continue to get better as Windows stagnates and is the future of computing. Its IBM, Intel, HP, Sun,Novell, NEC, Fujitsu- every bigtech company is backing Linux except MS! Check out the linux foundation list of sponsors- its a who's who of the industry.

Don't even get me started on Cloud Computing and how AMAZINGLY dumb a concept it is. True, utter stupidity and marketing BS. The only exception where apps REQUIRE net access that I can accept is purely net based operations like e-mail or FTP. No net? OK I can't use it then- fair enough! I wouldn't be able to use a non-cloud app to do it anyway without a net connection.

For exciting operating systems I'd look elsewhere:

Haiku OS - the open source BeOS is nearly ready for an alpha release now!

Android / Angstrom (for embedded devices)

Debian / Ubuntu w/ the wicd network manager for desktop or server

If Adobe woke up and started supporting Linux properly then that'd be it- game over! I think its suspicious (or is it just stupid?) why they don't support Linux as its what all the movie studios run- Disney, Pixar etc. run Photoshop under wine as it runs faster that way and they do all their rendering with Linux.

I think everyone is sick of being bullied by MS. They'll be with us for a while yet because they're so entrenched but they're on the decline ever since Vista launched. Good riddance I say!

Thank Post
    I loved BeOS that flew on my P166 so imagine what it'll be like now

Windows 7 should be given out as a free upgrade to Vista users seeing as it's basically fixing what MS messed up in the first place! DRM stinks and has no place in the OS wasting resources with its paranoia checks every few seconds...

Linux still has a long way to go before it really gets a consumer hold... works fine on the eeePC until you want to customise it a bit then things get far too awkward for most users to do e.g. installing apps etc

As for Vista performance... it runs OK on my PC

- Core2Duo E8400
    - 4GB RAM
    - x64 version of the OS
    - Geforce 8800GT

Crazy that it takes that kinda power to make an OS run smoothly!
    Last edited by gshaw; 31st October 2008 at 02:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danboid View Post
    If Adobe woke up and started supporting Linux properly then that'd be it- game over!
    Adobe barely support Windows, Acrobat 9 reader does not support redirected application data, a problem that they have known about for months and done nothing about. Like a Windows domain environment is somehow uncommon .

Window 7 does look promising, for the moment it does sound as if they have speed up the code base a bit and there will be vastly less issues with drivers as the Vista ones (which the manufacturers have taken stupidly long over) will work with 7.

I have to say though that if their taskbar icons start jumping about like a kangaroo on speed I will format the computer then and there as that kind of insulence can not be left unpunished.

Thank Post
    i personally would like to see a coordinated release, windows 7, office 2009 nay 2010, and the v.next versions of MOSS and Dynamics CRM. And windows 2008 R2 if something similar isn't released in 2009. Would Make training and deployment decisions a lot easier for IT departments.

But judging by companies historical retinence to jump straight in then downgrading to xp is still the goto option for the forseeable future [better the devil you know an' all that] It would be useful to learn vista deployment techniques as i don't imagine win2k8/win7 deployment issus will differ very much if at all.....but Vista is ME, of that there can now be no doubt. Vista is basically a development and piss-around-with release for sysadmins to get used to new deployment methods. It's tanked big time, and m$ have had there fingers well and truly burned, despite the postivie spin they were putting on vista.

Windows 7 does look promising if your prepared to accept the whole aero and windows live look, which appears to be the way forward for microsoft as far as design and branding. But at the end of the day it's just an OS, NT 7 or whatever.....not a big deal and not really much to get excited about. The geneva stuff looks interesting, if your a .net fanboy that is, but the live mesh does look naff, like most of the M$ online offerings.

Thank Post
    Have they fixed basic things such as displaying what software it is installing at startup via group policy like Windows 2000, and Windows XP does or does it just say "Please wait...." for 2 hours? If i had an hour with Microsoft my head would hurt telling them everything that is wrong with Vista, and what needs to be changed in 7.

Thank Post

Smile Ms office online and live mesh

As a Microsoft partner, I was offered free access to Microsoft Office online and MS live mesh over a year ago..so this "news" is rather old!!

To get access to MS office online and other free web services, such as SkyDrive, Expression web, and Forefront security, instead of logging into hotmail.com try logging on at Live Search instead--then choose "MS live services" where you can see a list of available services and stuff still in Beta.

There may be a wait in getting access to MS office online...I had to wait 4-6 weeks to get my free account.

frontierscientist
    Copenhagen

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread