+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 requests... in Technical; Mine would have to be the inclusion of a decent web-browser that was actually standards compliant LOL... (how about packing ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 requests...

Mine would have to be the inclusion of a decent web-browser that was actually standards compliant LOL... (how about packing in FireExplorer8? lol...)

Oh, and some decent whole machine backup like time machine in Mac OS Leopard! NTbackup is just too complicated for teachers on home laptops etc...

M.

Thank Post

external hdd

For the price MS charge you for there OS they should include a terabyte hard drive or something so that if they did do shadow copied backups like time machine then at least you would have the capacity to do the backups.

Thank Post
    A option to restrict a user to single login builtin, rather than having it as an add-on........

edit - eejit, I'm assuming Windows 7 is client only, or is there a server variant as well
    Last edited by joe90bass; 31st August 2008 at 06:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
    Mine would have to be the inclusion of a decent web-browser that was actually standards compliant LOL... (how about packing in FireExplorer8? lol...)
    Sorry dude lol it doesnt look like your going to be getting what you want

Link

im using it already and its horrible

Thank Post
    Well, that is a beta, so I never expect much from them!

BUT - why don't microsoft just leave the browser choice open (i.e. not include any web browser on home versions of the OS? You don't get DVD writing capability in XP, so have to install Nero or something else, so why not do the same with a web-browser? I never use IE7 at home, I just download Firefox or an alternative straight away and use that. I can see how IE7 is good for enterprise level LANS since it can be controlled and locked down using GPO, which is ideal, but for security and ease of use, Firefox rocks hands down.

Thank Post
    How about any easy method for altering settings in any profile, not just the one for the current account. Yes I know you can use GPOs, but sometimes you get a one of situation where it's over kill.

Oh and make it so when a user moves a shortcut from the start menu to their desktop it doesn't move from the all users profile to their own profile.

Thank Post
    IE is actually quite embedded into Windows and lots of componants rely on it, active desktop, all the web content parts in Windows Explorer and many more. MS couldn't rely on these features being supported by another third party browser so if they removed it they would have to write alternate apps to generate the content. It would be good if they gave you the option not to install it and told you what wouldn't work or an option to hide IE so you can install another browser and wouldn't see any sign of IE and it couldn't access web content unless you allowd it.

Thank Post
    How about changing 'program files' to just 'programs' we've gotten rid of documents and settigns so now it's for program files to bite the dust....

I personally think it's daft that for straightforward tasks such as burning to a CD/DVD and playing a DVD or blu ray disk third party utilities HAVE to be bought or downloaded. Not sure if Vista has a cd/dvd burnign utility out of the box, but windows 7 should. I'm sure there are all sorts of ant-trust guff stopping them from doing that.

I'd like to see a windows 7 netbook version, optimized for atom based sub-notebooks, and a version that can take advantage of dual core low power processors and be an OS that doesn't become the weakest link in the battery saving chain. .

Other than that i'd just like to see it play nice with xp machines and perform well on mixed w2k8/w2k3/xp networks....is that too much to ask?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    shadow copies do quite a lot of what time machine does - problem is, they're not easy to set up, it's not obvious what they do and I'd lay money on it that most of "joe public" doesn't use them :-)

Not really bothered about standards compliant browsers - until we get everyone writing standards compliant HTML and CSS there's little point (the big problem now is that there are too many standards to choose from; if my browser rejects everything but the current standards then it's pretty much useless)

Would like it to run on low spec machines but I'd guess that's less relevant - by the time it's out, the sort of machine that would only run XP will be pretty ancient and most machines should have reasonable CPU, RAM and GPU.

Would like much simpler file dialogs. For example, with XP I do File | Open and the cursor is in the file name box. I typically want to go to a folder so I hit back tab and I'm in the folder list and can just arrow up/down to where I want. With Vista's file dialogues I end up in some random bit of the furniture and end up having to pick up the mouse - this alone drives me mad :-)

Not really bothered so much about UAC - it's an annoyance but having spent more time recently with Linux and Apple OS X they're almost as bad in terms of prompting every time you want to do something!

I know why Vista has every language included and I know it has value in organisations which need multiple languages but I'd still like an option to just install the language(s) I need - a bit like WSUS can choose languages for updates. Discs may now be absolutely massive compared to when XP came out but I still don't see why I have to dedicate quite so much of it to the OS instead of *my* stuff!

I'd like Microsoft to just crow less about how good the flipping OS is, particularly when it's really not that much different. For example, power saving. When you put XP into standby mode it uses pretty much exactly the same power as Vista in standby mode so all they've done is change one default at shutdown so it goes into standby - not really that much different from XP. I know Vista is supposed to resume more quickly from standby but it's not really a big deal!

Search - just make it work, and recognise that many people don't store stuff on the local hard drive so a search system which doesn't index network documents is also pretty much useless (and I know you're supposed to have a central search server but it's all a lot of work and means that Vista's search is just not relevant)

Make sure that when it's released, it's actually going to be usable by people who administer networks etc - when Vista came out the fact that you couldn't manage AD, couldn't manage Exchange, couldn't manage ISA server etc from a Vista workstation made it a non-starter.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    It would be good if they gave you the option not to install it and told you what wouldn't work or an option to hide IE so you can install another browser and wouldn't see any sign of IE and it couldn't access web content unless you allowd it.
    Doubt that you can "not install" IE for the reasons you gave but what's wrong with the options in "set program access and defaults" where you can (eg) set firefox as default and untick "enable access to Internet explorer"?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    How about any easy method for altering settings in any profile, not just the one for the current account. Yes I know you can use GPOs, but sometimes you get a one of situation where it's over kill.

Oh and make it so when a user moves a shortcut from the start menu to their desktop it doesn't move from the all users profile to their own profile.
    Group policies and now preferences are pretty much designed to make profile changes - I'm not really sure that there's anything sensible which could do what you want. there's no easy way of knowing who might log on to the machine and will need their profile changing so I can't see any real way of doing this. What sort of thing are you thinking of?

Only an administrator can move icons from all users to anywhere else unless you've changed the permissions; by default "all users" is read-only for normal users. I think this might be quite hard to handle - basically, the default action for dragging any file when it's on the same disc is to do a move, not a copy so what you're asking for is something which does a different default for different folders. I'm sure that's possible but I'm not sure I'd want it (and yes, I have managed to lose icons like this in the past :-))

Thank Post
    @ torledo: i've only got a Vista box at work so i can't look now but i thought Program Files was just Programs in Vista.

@ srochford: those are only a few of the reasons that MS gave (not my reasons) why they can't be bothered to remove IE, oh and that they don't want to remove it either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to reduce the different versions too 2 like XP. Although XP did have tablet pc, x64, media center they can cram that into a Home & Professional/Business edition. Microsoft are just stupid with the amount of versions of Vista they have created

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    @ torledo: i've only got a Vista box at work so i can't look now but i thought Program Files was just Programs in Vista.
    Its still Program Files in Vista Ultimate, and im my case as im on 64 bit Ive got 2x of them Program Files and Program Files (X86).

For those that moan about the MS Integration, get the N version which have thinks like Media Player physically removed from the thing, try it with a Vista CD, install the N version and see what is missing and there you go.

Vista has built in CD and DVD Authoring, and in Ultimate Edition it also has built in DVD Playing Codecs unlike XP which never did have.

Thank Post
    Yep i looked this morning and you're right i was thinking of the Programdata virtual folder thing, i'm sure they must be thinking that way with those folders changing Documents and Settings to Users was a good start.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast