+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, [Solution]: Map printers with logon scripts in Windows 7 & Vista without UAC prompt in Technical; After a short argument with Vista about mapping printers on a certain station and some research I found a solution ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up [Solution]: Map printers with logon scripts in Windows 7 & Vista without UAC prompt

After a short argument with Vista about mapping printers on a certain station and some research I found a solution to allow you to map printers via VBS logon scripts without UAC getting in the way. It turns out that there is a group policy setting for Vista SP1 that suppresses the warnings and just allows the printer to map silently as it should. You will need 2008 server or RSAT installed on a Vista SP1 client to set it up.

User Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Printers : Point and Print Restrictions
    Setting: Enabled

In its Config Tab:
    Do not specify any servers to restrict Point and Print to so it will continue to work for any server without specifying every one

Security Prompts:
    When Installing drivers for a new connection:
    -Do not show warning or elevation prompt
    -Show warning and elevation prompt

When updating drivers for an existing connection:

-Show warning only

EDIT: Since Windows 7 and Vista service pack 2 a new policy has been implemented as below which also needs to be set to work with these newer clients. You need to be using Windows 7 RSAT or have updated the ADMX files in your domain central store to see these options.

Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Printers : Point and Print Restrictions
    Setting: Enabled

In its Config Tab:
    Do not specify any servers to restrict Point and Print to so it will continue to work for any server without specifying every one

Security Prompts:
    When Installing drivers for a new connection:

When updating drivers for an existing connection:

-Show warning only

Problems solved, simple solution too. As it happens someone else had actually posted this solution here earlier but I had not noticed it and only found it when looking for any duplicate posts of the same information. The first mention of this method on this site is here.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 19th August 2011 at 01:05 PM.

2. 17 Thanks to SYNACK:

3s-gtech (7th June 2010), aleach2 (10th October 2011), ces973 (17th November 2010), EvLPhenom (15th July 2011), ful56_uk (7th July 2011), garethedmondson (9th September 2011), glennda (14th September 2011), newpersn (15th November 2011), Psymon (20th August 2008), rich_tech (7th September 2011), sidewinder (19th August 2010), speckytecky (1st September 2011), stevenlong1985 (11th February 2013), tomscaper (25th September 2008), Valyyn (9th November 2011), wagnerk (11th July 2011), wickit (9th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Huge thanks for this. Been trying to fix this issue for the last day...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Megga thanks Synac - this one has been plaguing me for yonks as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    It's not just scripts when these settings should be enabled, but deploying via GPO too.

The printer will deploy without these settings enabled, however on many occasions the full driver isn't installed, only a basic driver (if Vista or 7 has one). Otherwise you're forced to open Devices and Printers, right click the printer and select 'Install driver'.

6. Thanks to Michael from:

speckytecky (8th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Sorry to bring this one to the top, I am guessing if no driver exists this wont install at all? Have made the GP settings change with the print script and I am getting "Install Driver" option appear and of course click install driver and access denied.

Is this the norm?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your server needs to have the right drivers available so you need 64bit drivers on the server too if it is 32bit and clients are 64.

Thank Post
    Strange, our printer guy is saying both drivers are on the server. We previously had to browse for the driver but this time we just click install. Print management was supposed to be eas and solve everything !

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Strange, our printer guy is saying both drivers are on the server. We previously had to browse for the driver but this time we just click install. Print management was supposed to be eas and solve everything !
    Can you install it manually through the gui without it prompting for a driver this should show if it can pull the driver off the server.

Thank Post
    Nope, your right.

I guess the guy hasnt done his job right, I guess its our fault for going small local company!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Nope, your right.

I guess the guy hasnt done his job right, I guess its our fault for going small local company!
    Its about the skill level not the size, you can fit way more dropkicks in a large company than a small one.

Thank Post
    This is an old thread, but I am hoping someone is able to help. We updated a bunch of our printers and kept the same IP, just updated the drivers. When a user logs in they don't get the printers via the login script because it surprsesses the prompt to install the new drivers. When you run the script manually, or map the print queue manually you get the prompt to install drivers. I don't know if this prompt is the same as the UAC prompt this thread addresses or not.

I did apply these gpos a few weeks ago and we are still seeing the same thing. Can anyone confirm if the install driver prompt is the same as the UAM prompt? Either way, does any one have anything I can do to troubleshoot this? What the techs are doing in the meantime is running the script manually to get the prompt and installing the drivers. Once the drivers are installed, the printers map fine.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 998 Posts
    Wasn't there a GPO to allow standard users to install non digitally signed drivers ?

Thank Post
    Most of these users are local admins, and experience the same thing. It's something about mapping the printers at login when the drivers have been updated. It blocks the prompt to install the updated drivers. But when you run the script manually once the user is logged it, it pops up.. Ideally, it would just download and install the updated drivers automatically with no user input on login.

Thank Post
    You need signed AND packaged drivers for Vista/7/8 clients to install printer drivers without the UAC prompts. If you are desperate you can also try to run it as a startup script to have the system install the drivers (worked on xp, not actually tried 7, always had the packaged drivers!).

17. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

mac_shinobi (16th October 2013)

Thank Post
    This is the prompt we get.

prompt.jpg

Shouldn't this point and print gpo stop this prompt from coming up?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast