+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, [Solution]: Map printers with logon scripts in Windows 7 & Vista without UAC prompt in Technical; I have wrote a program to map printers. You call it in script with the printers as command line arguments. ...
    Thank Post
    I have wrote a program to map printers. You call it in script with the printers as command line arguments.

I will try to post the windows 7 she'll it calls later if I can find the code.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    @colesy. You may want to try the method described here to install your printers. It works for me.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys.
    @Arthur The problem with using GPO for us is we have a lot of staff that move from school to school, and they have their own laptops. We have scripts for each school, and the users run a masterlogin script which detects their AD Site and compares it to their home school/location which is stored in AD. If they match then it runs their home schools script. If they don't match, it runs their home schools script , and then script for the school that they are at. It's worked really well until the drivers were updated.

So a GPO really only works for mapping printers at their home school, not great for when they travel.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by colesy View Post
    Thanks guys.
    @Arthur The problem with using GPO for us is we have a lot of staff that move from school to school, and they have their own laptops. We have scripts for each school, and the users run a masterlogin script which detects their AD Site and compares it to their home school/location which is stored in AD. If they match then it runs their home schools script. If they don't match, it runs their home schools script , and then script for the school that they are at. It's worked really well until the drivers were updated.

So a GPO really only works for mapping printers at their home school, not great for when they travel.
    I have a script at work that will help with this and also a gpo that prevents the prompt from coming up! I will upload tomorrow for you to look at !

5. 2 Thanks to wroberts:

colesy (17th October 2013), mac_shinobi (17th October 2013)

Thank Post
    @wroberts Any luck finding that script/gpo?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by colesy View Post
    @wroberts Any luck finding that script/gpo?
    I did this via the GPO for deployed printers ! and this worked spot on.

Thank Post
    I'm confused, you replied to my message saying:

Quote Originally Posted by wroberts View Post
    I have a script at work that will help with this and also a gpo that prevents the prompt from coming up! I will upload tomorrow for you to look at !
    Now you are saying you just used the method the OP posted? Or did you forget to post something in your last message?

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    If you want to assign a printer on a computer OU you can create a Policy and set the Policy Loopback settings in the Computer Configuration section to Merge apply the policy with the settings at the beginning of the thread and then this should apply the printer to the computers in the OU no matter who logs on. If you set the Printer to Remove when no longer applied it would then remove the printer from the machine if it were moved to a different OU and should prevent printers from following users around if using Roaming profiles.

Make sure you allow non-administrators the ability to install printer drivers via the device GUID via policy and this will save the necessity for admins to log on for drivers to install.

Thank Post
    Thanks Davit2005. We still use scripts for printer installs. GPO doesn't give us the flexibility we need for staff travelling to multiple locations with their laptop.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12