+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Batch renane of photos in Technical; What would be the best and easiest way to rename a batch of pupil photos with their names? Photos will ...
    Thank Post

Batch renane of photos

What would be the best and easiest way to rename a batch of pupil photos with their names? Photos will be taken in register order and can have list of names in whatever format needed.

Thank Post
    Hi,

We do this every year and the system we ended up with is to have 1 person taking photos with the camera and another with a register list writing down the sequence number (just 1, 2 ,3 etc) beside the name - we usually find some people despite best intentions are in the wrong order.

I then create a spreadsheet with the sequence numbers and the filename of the photo and name of student and form this into a batch file to do a rename command from photo filename to lastname,forename tutor.

Then I drop the photos through a batch resizer to create thumbnails and then a metadata stripper as SIMS seems to just use the embedded thumbmail rather than the actual jpeg.

HTH,

Meldrew

Thank Post
    I have a batch script which renames all of the files in a given folder by removing the first 5 digits. This could be modified to do what you want to do here, but I'll have to fetch it into work first. I can modify it to read the pupil names from a .txt file if this sounds like a viable option.

4. Thanks to ToeKneeBlack from:

TechSupp (2nd September 2014)

Thank Post
    Long term fix - ask the company that runs the school photograhs (if you have one) if they can do this. Ours will be for the first time this year - for free!

Thank Post
    This Bulk Rename Utility can rename files according to a delimited list (so says the help page). I've never done it but I've often used it for regexp renaming and it works superbly.

Thank Post
    Thanks I'll give this a look at. It's not for SIMs or anything like that it's just to help me remember all the kids names etc that I will be teaching this year (I'm covering every class from y1 to y6, twelve classes)...yes..I am a teacher..there I said it in public! Originaly joined Edugeek at a techy but qualified to teach) and now 10 years later I'm a bit of a half breed, computing teacher and I also look after he curriculum system still, not a bad affair, I have the best (and sometime worst) of both worlds.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread