+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, IE10/IE11 Issue - Proxy Server in Technical; Hey all, This has left me stumped and I am hoping one of you know the answer to this weird ...
    Thank Post

IE10/IE11 Issue - Proxy Server

Hey all,

This has left me stumped and I am hoping one of you know the answer to this weird issue...

Windows 7 with all latest Windows Updates patches installed but using IE10.

IE10 goes via our proxy server.

Upon launching of IE10, the first thing I get is "The proxy server isn't responding". But if I use Chrome, it works fine. I then upgraded to IE11 and I still get the same message.

This is where things get interesting... I DOWNGRADED to IE8 and it works fine.

From IE8, I upgraded directly to IE11 and it stopped working with it displaying the same error message.

So... what could be the issue?

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks all.

Thank Post
    Are you manually entering the proxy settings, or are these Group Policy set?

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Internet Explorer Maintenance is not supported on IE 10 & IE 11, this is probably why IE is not picking up the Proxy settings.

Internet Explorer Maintenance is one of the ways that proxy settings were deployed by Group Policy.

This gives you options like either Registry or Group Policy Preferences to set the Proxy settings.

Why on earth did MS do this???

I believe installing IE 10 & IE 11 on a DC can also remove the IEM settings in new policies but don't think it effects existing policies.

Why Oh Why did MS do this??
    Last edited by Davit2005; 28th August 2014 at 03:37 PM.

Thank Post
    No idea, but when you set it in GPP you need to ensure the dotted line under the setting is green and not red.

Found that out quickly enough. If memory serves put the settings in, hit F5, turns green, save.

5. 2 Thanks to Trapper:

speckytecky (22nd September 2014), TheScarfedOne (1st September 2014)

Thank Post
    The proxy server settings were imported using VBS scripting upon logging in.

As far as I am aware, we're not using Internet Explorer Maintenance.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tsutton View Post
    The proxy server settings were imported using VBS scripting upon logging in.

As far as I am aware, we're not using Internet Explorer Maintenance.
    Would you mind sharing your script???

Thank Post
    Okay, I figured it out. There is another GPO that has Internet Explorer Maintenance in it. So I guess it got imported from another policy.

Further searching tells me that on Server 2012, this will not show up, therefore I couldn't edit it. I confirmed this by creating a new GPO and Internet Explorer Maintenance does not show up. Moving a PC into a clean GPO and IE10 works fine.

That means I will need to start afresh with a clean policy and copy the settings.

Thanks for the directions, guys.

Thank Post
    Any chance of a copy of that logon script to add the proxy settings? Going to have to go to IE11 at some point but we are still with 2008 R2

Thank Post
    It's part of a bigger script, so can't share that. But here's a snippet of it where you can edit it to your details...

Code:
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyEnable", 1, "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyOverride", "10.*;<local>", "REG_SZ"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyServer", "YOUR.proxy.server.co.uk:8080", "REG_SZ"

WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page", "http://www.YOURschooldomain.co.uk", "REG_SZ"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Default_Page_URL", "http://www.YOURschooldomain.co.uk", "REG_SZ"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\DisableFirstRunCustomize", 1, "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\NoUpdateCheck", 1, "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Show_StatusBar", "yes", "REG_SZ"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Window Title", "Internet Explorer provided by YOUR SCHOOL NAME", "REG_SZ"
    If you look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, you can add more entries to it to tweak it to your needs.

Hope this helps!

11. Thanks to tsutton from:

TechSupp (1st September 2014)

Thank Post
    And for this issue... it wasn't GPO, but was caused by conflicting LSP. Removing the 'bad' LSP resolved this. Thought I'd update this in case anyone esle had the same issue.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, will look at that as soon as I get a moment.

Thank Post
    Eventually had a chance to look at this and added the above script as a computer logon script but when I try the test machine IE11 has not got any proxy settings set. Did a gpresult and the GPO being applied, any ideas as I need to push this out sooner than later. Having to use the vbs as we are 2008 R2 and W7 clients. Tried the vbs locally and it installs the settings.

Is it because I'm trying to add registry settings? if so how do I get around this?
    Last edited by TechSupp; 22nd September 2014 at 12:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Well as I could not get the registry settings to take with some advice I set the GPP setting for IE8 (been told it should work for 11 as well) and guess what...that don't work either! Getting a tad fed up with this,even the thought of just installing Chrome has gone through my mind, which may end up being my only solution if I can't get 11 to take the settings!

Edit: Just seen from a post on here I still needed to edit the xml file, ours said max version 10 so that probably why they didn't apply via GPP. Just edited file remotely so will see when I am next in tomorrow afternoon. Where would I be without techy friends and EduGeek!
    Last edited by TechSupp; 22nd September 2014 at 07:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Yup, if you don't change the max version value it gets ignored. We've used this to set the proxy since the early days of Windows 8.0, been fine with IE10 and IE11. Now all our DCs are 2012 R2 it doesn't matter, but it was very handy before.

Thank Post
    Well just come in and tried it and.....no settings are taken by client 😭, no default page or proxy settings. Would it matter that we have the original GPO still active. The new GPP is being applied to a sub test group to try it out, whereas the normal GPO that handles the proxy is at Domain level, or is there anything else I should check or be set. (yes settings are green and only set proxy, port and home page) Desparate to get this working.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast