+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Previous Versions in Technical; Hi everyone, I have an interesting one here. I have been trying to get the Previous Versions running successfully on ...
    Thank Post

Previous Versions

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting one here.

I have been trying to get the Previous Versions running successfully on the clients so that if any users require it, they can get back older versions of their local documents however I can't seem to get it to do anything. When the user clicks on the "Previous Versions" tab on the file properties, no files are available which would suggest that they haven't made any modifications, however they have made multiple modifications.

I've had a poke about in Google and various places but all of them are saying the same thing; System Protection needs to be switched on etc... which it is and configured to Restore system settings and previous versions of files.

I can't see why it isn't working :/.
    I noticed in the Task Scheduler under Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > SystemRestore that there is an SR task set to run every day at midnight or at System Startup which, by my understanding, should be creating restore points for files automatically. The history says that the task completed successfully but files have still not got previous versions (again we know they should have as they have been modified before).

Can anyone let me know if they have had this working at their end and if so how they got it working?
    I should add that all our clients are running Windows 7 x64 and are connected to a domain network (Server 2008R2).

Thanks
    Regards
    J

Thank Post
    An update on this, I have found out that for the C:\ Drive, you can right - click > Properties and then show the previous versions of the C:\ Drive (incidentally, you can open a previous version of the C:\ Drive and then go through this to find previous version of files, however this isn't ideal)
    The ideal solution would be to have Previous versions of files showing on the Previous Versions tab for that file.

Any ideas / possible solutions greatly received

Cheers
    J

Thank Post
    The files are stored locally or on the server? If server, what OS ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
    The files are stored locally or on the server? If server, what OS ?
    Hi MordyT,

We aren't having issues with the files that are stored on the servers, it's any documents that the users have stored on their local machines (we don't have My Documents / Documents redirecting to the server).
    I'm talking about the files that are stored on the local machine under Documents, Pictures, Music etc...

I have added additional times to the Task mentioned in the OP (so it will run at 1pm every day) to see if this will generate any previous versions so will post an update later on.

J

Thank Post
    Previous versions shouldn't care if the file was modified. I'm out of ideas here.

6. Thanks to MordyT from:

JaTayler (5th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for your response on this MordyT, I never got to post before leaving work. The additional schedules I created in the Task Scheduler appear to be making the previous version successfully on the local files so it looks to be sorted out. I will keep and eye on it and if I find anything else out on this I will post back .

Cheers for responding though.

Thank Post
    Edit: Was actually previous versions only show on unc over the network not mapped drive letter
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 5th August 2014 at 10:16 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread