+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Student Roaming profile Issue!!! in Technical; Hi I am having a problem with roaming profiles and its driving me mad! I have created a new image ...
    Thank Post

Student Roaming profile Issue!!!

Hi I am having a problem with roaming profiles and its driving me mad!
    I have created a new image which I intend to push out to certain classrooms over the summer using ghost, it all works fine except a small issue that I am having with student roaming profiles.
    So on my new image students do not get the internet, itís trying to use an old proxy address. Why itís not getting it from GP Iím not sure all the logs say it is. Anyway I am attempting to change the old proxy to the new one in the hope that it will just happily go along with it.

I found that the old proxy address is stored in the students roaming profile under ntuser.man. So I changed it. (I get no internet on new image and no internet/ start menu icons/desktop on old image) afterwards.

So I deleted ntuser.man (not a good idea) I get user profile service failed to start on old image, but it logs into new image but still no internet.

I tried creating a new profile from my new image. I get internet! But not on old image, in fact I get user profile failed to start on old image. My new one also creates a temp profile for any user.
    I have tried to copy the default profile from an old image to the new image to see if there is a problem there Ė Still no internet on new image: S

I will be unable to roll out this new image to the entire school over the summer so I need something that will work on both.
    Any ideas Iím starting to go a bit crazyÖ Iíll go find some coffee and calm down!

Thanks
    Nick

p.s using Windows 7

Thank Post
    So i have managed to get the student profile to at least logon to the old image and the new. i had to rename the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man in the newprofile. however when they now logon they get a temp profile which is a local profile from the machine. it takes an age to logon (because its a local) any ideas anyone?

Nick

Thank Post
    You should be able to edit the proxy address inside the NTuser.man file without causing any major headaches!

How are you dishing out the proxy settings from group policy? Personally I found that deploying the registry key via GPP is the most reliable method and works across IE versions (its the same reg key)

Thank Post
    With the GPO for internet - are you using GPP, if so, have you made sure that the squiggly lines are green and not red? (F5-F8 changes them)

As for the ntuser.dat/man thing, have you given "Everyone" permission to the registry keys?

Load the file into someone in the reg, right click it > Permissions and give Everyone full control.

5. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

Frut02 (11th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Good point @DrPerceptron - the registry key permission is key! I had this issue when we first moved to a mandatory profile

Thank Post
    Thanks! I didnt actually realise you could load these files into the registry. all my problems went away after i had changed the settings in that!!

Thank Post
    The NTuser.dat or NTuser.man file is literally the entire registry key corresponding to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, all bundled up into a registry 'hive'. It contains much more than you would expect in a standard .reg file.

I realise you have done it now but what I tend to do it load regedit, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, go to File --> Load Hive and point it to the ntuser file.

Once changes have been made, make sure you unload the hive!! If you don't then people won't be able to use the profile!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread