+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Disappearing pinned items in Technical; The title pretty much sums it up. A lot of times, if I log out of my machine and logon ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries

Disappearing pinned items

The title pretty much sums it up.

A lot of times, if I log out of my machine and logon to another, when I get back to mine all of my pinned shortcuts don't work any more.

I've just had a look in the settings folder and they're still there, but it's claiming they're gone.

If I re-pin stuff, I end up with endless versions of the same shortcut [i.e "inkscape (2).lnk"] but only the one with the highest number works.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

I'm also getting popups saying I'm trying to run something from outside my network... when the shortcut IS on our network and the application is either on the C: drive or my second HDD.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    The title pretty much sums it up.

A lot of times, if I log out of my machine and logon to another, when I get back to mine all of my pinned shortcuts don't work any more.

I've just had a look in the settings folder and they're still there, but it's claiming they're gone.

If I re-pin stuff, I end up with endless versions of the same shortcut [i.e "inkscape (2).lnk"] but only the one with the highest number works.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

I'm also getting popups saying I'm trying to run something from outside my network... when the shortcut IS on our network and the application is either on the C: drive or my second HDD.

Anyone know what's going on?

I go this a few months ago when i needed to move our app data redirect to a mapped drive instead of a UNC folder to please some management who wanted to use 8 year old software and couldn't deal with unc paths....

i just told everyone to remove and repin them and it hasn't happened since.

Thank Post
    I find this happens if you use roaming profiles and have both 32bit and 64bit machines around the school. It would seem for example your profile remembers the shortcut by going to C:\Program Files\ApplicationName but then when you logon to a 64bit machine it can't find the application as it is in C:\Program Files (x86)\ApplicationName so effectively you break the link between the two and once you log out your profile saves and it appears as it does.

It sounds like it has something to that effect that is going on?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I find this happens if you use roaming profiles and have both 32bit and 64bit machines around the school. It would seem for example your profile remembers the shortcut by going to C:\Program Files\ApplicationName but then when you logon to a 64bit machine it can't find the application as it is in C:\Program Files (x86)\ApplicationName so effectively you break the link between the two and once you log out your profile saves and it appears as it does.

It sounds like it has something to that effect that is going on?
    Pretty much. Though the other way round. Mine are (x86) and I switch to 32-bit machines.

Doesn't make sense that it'd act like the shortcut is missing though... It's there. I can see it. IT WORKS!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Pretty much. Though the other way round. Mine are (x86) and I switch to 32-bit machines.

Doesn't make sense that it'd act like the shortcut is missing though... It's there. I can see it. IT WORKS!
    Haha! Yeah exactly what it does here, don't ask why because I haven't ever properly figured it out! I just from now on make sure everything is running 64bit and if it can't it goes in the bin, if there's a computer than can't handle a 64bit OS it's too old in my eyes, the 7 year old Dells we have here can run it just fine!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread