+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Only show restart on Start Menu in Technical; Hi all I've set up a mac with a bootcamp partition to windows. I want to set it so the ...

Thank Post

Only show restart on Start Menu

Hi all

I've set up a mac with a bootcamp partition to windows. I want to set it so the only option the user gets is to restart from windows, so as when it does it returns to the OS selection screen. Is there a way of doing this? I've had a look round group policy but not found anything specific to this, maybe a reg hack?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Enable the following settings in group policy (make sure you use WMI filtering or item level targeting if you only want this to apply to specific machines):

Code:
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu & Taskbar >  Prevent and Remove Access to the Shut Down/Sleep/restart/hibernate Commands
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu & Taskbar >  Disable Logoff on the Start Menu
    Create a batch script containing the following, and save it on the desktop or in the start menu somewhere:

Code:
    shutdown /r /f /t 00
    The batch script should force all running programs to close (/f) after 0 seconds (/t 00, you can adjust this if needed. for 10s, replace 00 with 10) and restart (/r)

3. Thanks to computer_expert from:

mike86 (17th June 2014)

Thank Post
    thanks for that, sounds like it should do the trick, however its removed sleep/restart etc but has kept logoff.

Thank Post
    No worries, have found this few more things to enable, now working. Shows lock but it is inactive & is an option for switch user but i'm going to try to get rid of that too.

windows 7 logoff

Thank Post
    to remove switch user > Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Hide entry point for fast user switching.

7. Thanks to mike86 from:

computer_expert (17th June 2014)

Thank Post
    It depends how much you want to lock it down really, here is the setting if you just want to change what the main shutdown button does:

Code:
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu & Taskbar\Change Start Menu power button > Restart
    It will change its appearance so that it reads Restart. You could also disable Sleep and Hibernation through power management GPOs, restrict shutdown to a specific usergroup(s) with User Rights Assignment GPOs and disable lock and fast user switching through System GPOs.

Or, as was suggested first remove all the settings and give them a script, but that's not as fancy in my view.
    Last edited by JRowley; 17th June 2014 at 11:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread