Poll: Have you come across this?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, No wireless network. WLAN AutoConfig service won't start Error: 1114 in Technical; Summary: sfc /scannow seems to fix this. Details: I wouldn't normally post, but I'm keen to see if others have ...
    Thank Post

No wireless network. WLAN AutoConfig service won't start Error: 1114

Summary:

sfc /scannow seems to fix this.

Details:

I wouldn't normally post, but I'm keen to see if others have come across this.

Yesterday a friend of a friend asked them to look at their laptop as they couldn't connect to their wireless network and that it had been working that morning (Sunday 15/6). They couldn't fix it, so they called me. I saw that the service "WLAN AutoConfig" wasn't running so went to start it and got the error: "windows could not start the WLAN autoconfig service on local computer Error 1114: a dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

Other things were broken, no eject for sticks, system restore wouldn't complete and probably a few other things.

Long story short the machine was littered with malware and I said they'd be better of starting from scratch.

However, I've come into work today and a member of staff has brought in their personal laptop with what appears to be the same issue and also was working yesterday morning.
    Also littered with malware, but I was more keen to find out the cause after seeing 2 machines with the same issue on the same day.

Both laptops seemed to have Vundo and I wonder if this is the same variant of Vundo.

So, if you come across the same issue, please post here, I'd love to find out if many others went down yesterday afternoon.

Cheers

Thank Post
    I found this which gave me the sfc /scannow fix

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I'd be surprised if malware was causing this. Malware can sometimes break functions or services, but not one that allows it to connect to the internet. How else do these scammers make any money?

I'd say it's a pure coincidence myself - malware on systems is common, but not breaking connectivity to the outside world.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'd be surprised if malware was causing this. Malware can sometimes break functions or services, but not one that allows it to connect to the internet. How else do these scammers make any money?

I'd say it's a pure coincidence myself - malware on systems is common, but not breaking connectivity to the outside world.
    Hence my thoughts that it is caused by a Vundo variant

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread