Poll: Which OS?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Formatting My Machine, But Which OS? in Technical; I might steal the RAM out of a machine in the PPA room that nobody uses. They have 2 extra ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I might steal the RAM out of a machine in the PPA room that nobody uses. They have 2 extra laptops to use in there now so I don't think it will be missed!

Thank Post
    Definitely Windows 8.1 for me. I though performance was good on Windows 7, but 8.1 far exceeds it!

Thank Post
    It depends whether or not you're connecting it to the Domain? If you are connecting a Windows 8 machine to a 2008 R2 domain then you may encounter some serious problems. If you leave it as a local machine however then I'd recommend Windows 8.1 all the way, the driver compatibility and the reliability of the OS is superior compared to that of Windows 7.

It does get on my nerves not having a simple start menu sometimes so I installed Classic Shell work like a dream and the application is tiny, I was really impressed the way it works and install that on every windows 8 machine I have used ever since! Give it a go!!! This is what mine looks like
    Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 14.22.41.png

Thank Post
    8.1 on any of "my" machines across my sites, even if I've had to reallocate RAM. *whistles*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm all 8.1-ed up now with Office 2013. OMG Outlook 2013 is a beautiful thing! Used office 2013 for ages, but never outlook....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    It depends whether or not you're connecting it to the Domain? If you are connecting a Windows 8 machine to a 2008 R2 domain then you may encounter some serious problems. If you leave it as a local machine however then I'd recommend Windows 8.1 all the way, the driver compatibility and the reliability of the OS is superior compared to that of Windows 7.

It does get on my nerves not having a simple start menu sometimes so I installed Classic Shell work like a dream and the application is tiny, I was really impressed the way it works and install that on every windows 8 machine I have used ever since! Give it a go!!! This is what mine looks like
    Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 14.22.41.png
    I had issues at a previous place with 2008R2 and 8. I've cracked this machine straight onto the domain and it seems to be working normally thus far. Got all my mapped drives, folder redirects and even the don't remember last username group policy. So far so good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post

]

What issues did you have stacks of 8.1 machines on a Sever 2k8 network without any major issues.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 21st June 2014 at 12:47 PM.

Thank Post
    "Now I have the same as everyone else so when I'm doing any training materials or showing staff etc. it's the same on mine as it is for them"

That's good advice, I have my admin machine for network admin and an office machine built the same as everyone else for training and replication of issues.

Both 7 at present but going to upgrade my admin machine to 8.1

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12