+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Installing fonts as user in Technical; Hi Trying to find a non-bodge way of allowing users to install Fonts, without giving admin privileges! Thought someone may ...

Thank Post

Installing fonts as user

Hi

Trying to find a non-bodge way of allowing users to install Fonts, without giving admin privileges! Thought someone may have come across a way of doing this, hopefully through GPO.

We have a number of users who need to install a variety of fonts at different times as demand requires it. I don't want to give admin permissions and this is the issue. I can't install the fonts for them, as there will be too many at different times and I just don't want to add that to my management tasks. I want to be able to give them the privileges to get on with it themselves as they require it.

Any help, much appreciated and was slightly surprised not to have found a thread about this.

thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Startup script + FontReg?

Thank Post
    Thank you for the reply

If I had a static list of fonts that the users required, then your suggestion could work. Unfortunately, the users get sent new fonts fairly regular for different project files and they need to be able to install them so they can view, edit and print.
    Ideally, I would like to have users able to install fonts in the standard windows way - double clicking etc. So a startup script wouldn't really work.

It's annoying that Microsoft haven't seen the need for this yet - I've found many many people looking for this - why can't MS put a GPO setting for 'Install fonts on Local machine' - like they do for the drivers etc.

Thank Post
    From This Article Give users permission to install fonts under Windows 7 there is a solution which could be modified slightly to be done via GPO rather than manually. It's all about the permissions on c:\windows\fonts and fntcache.dll and somewhere in the registry.

Using what I read in other threads I figured out this solution and tested it working today on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Let me know if it helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Log on as administrator. Open command prompt as admin.

attrib -r -s %systemroot%\fonts

takeown /f "%systemroot%\fonts" /r /d n

(optional - gives administrators full rights on the fonts folder): icacls "%systemroot%\fonts" /grant administrators:F /t

You can now add or change permissions on the Fonts folder like any regular folder.

Give user(s) modify access to %systemroot%\Fonts

icacls "%systemroot%\fonts" /grant USERNAMEorGROUP:M /t

Give user(s) modify access to %systemroot%\system32\FNTCACHE.dat

icacls "%systemroot%\system32\FNTCACHE.dat" /grant USERNAMEorGROUP:M /t

Give user(s) modify access to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Fonts
    Skr

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread