+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Deny Access to C Drive in Technical; Ok so its that age old question. How can I lock down the computer so that students do not have ...

Thank Post

Deny Access to C Drive

Ok so its that age old question. How can I lock down the computer so that students do not have access to c in windows 7. I have had issues with students accessing C: wont go into detail, however it needs locking down. I will talk you through what I have currently done.

1. Hide C: - users create shortcut to C: so ....
    2. Stopped creation of shortcuts - They use "open with" then "browse" to access to c: so .....
    3. Removed open with option - They right click change default program and use the browse so....
    4. Removed option to change program association.

This is where I'm at ...If they bring a shortcut in on a memory stick that is to c: it will allow them to c: If they change the properties of an existing shortcut to c: they can access c:

How can I stop them getting to the c: when there are so many backdoors?
    What permissions do you set on the computers?
    How do you guys deal with this?

Allowing them access to c: is not an option anymore and removing right click is not an option as it effects our technology software.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thank Post
    I don't think you can outright deny them read rights to the C: drive, at the very least they need execute rights to %programfiles%.

If you're worried about them messing (editing) system and program files, I imagine giving them limited user accounts should have solved that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We don't allow creation of shortcuts or the use of memory sticks. Read access to the C drive isn't really an issue - it doesn't give them access to anything really!

Thank Post
    Try searching the forums, there are loads of threads about deny access to C drive. There are quite a few settings in AD that can lock it down nicely.
    If this is local machine there are some local policies that can also achieve the same result.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We don't allow creation of shortcuts or the use of memory sticks. Read access to the C drive isn't really an issue - it doesn't give them access to anything really!
    Think we are going down the route of banning memory sticks once our VLE is working properly and allowing access to their files at home.

They have been pretty ingenious ... changing sticky keys to open up other software instead of sticky keys. Which I also had to block. Messing around with the classroom management system etc. Needless to say the culprits are being dealt with, but locking it down as best as I can.

It is locked down very well they are just being overly creative
    Last edited by Chunks_; 11th June 2014 at 09:28 AM.

Thank Post
    GPO
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\Hide these drives in My Computer [Restrict all drivers]
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\Prevent access to drives from My Computer [Restrict A, B, C and D drivers only]

The above settings are what we use in our environment achieves the restriction that require.
    Cheers
    Mike

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DellOughta View Post
    GPO
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\Hide these drives in My Computer [Restrict all drivers]
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer\Prevent access to drives from My Computer [Restrict A, B, C and D drivers only]

The above settings are what we use in our environment achieves the restriction that require.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Hi I just saw this thread and this is exactly what I have done, have you have any issues with things getting blocked due to users being prevented from accessing the C:\ drive?

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread