+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 oem wallpaper through RDP in Technical; Hi Been doing a bit of corporate branding on the desktops and have a nice oemwallpaper working on all the ...
    Thank Post

Question Windows 7 oem wallpaper through RDP

Hi

Been doing a bit of corporate branding on the desktops and have a nice oemwallpaper working on all the PC's for the logon screen, lock screen etc. I have noticed however that if I RDP into a Windows 7 PC, it ignores the oemwallpaper and shows the default windows background during login instead.

I've had a root through google but not found anything relating to Windows 7 (most solutions revolve round TS on W2Kx). Anyone know if this is possible to do? Not the end of the world if it isn't.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Last edited by AJWhite1970; 6th June 2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Clarity...

Thank Post
    Check the group policy settings on the remote computer (the computer you're connecting to)! There's a remote session policy that controls whether or not the desktop background (wallpaper) is displayed when a client connects to the host. The name of this policy is "Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop Wallpaper".

1. Press Win+R
    2. Type gpedit.msc and press Enter. Click Yes if you get a prompt to allow the program.
    3. Navigate to Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Remote Desktop Services, Remote Desktop Session Host, Remote Session Environment.
    4. Right click on "Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop Wallpaper" and then click Edit.
    5. Change the setting to Disabled, or Not Configured.
    6. Click Apply and then OK. Now close the (Local Group Policy Editor) window. Done!

You should now be able to see and change the desktop background on the remote computer, from the local computer. But you will still have to enable the option "Desktop background" in the RDP (remote desktop protocol) client (i.e. RDC on XP/Vista/7/8) when you connect to the remote. Only this time, the remote computer will not be preventing you to see and change the desktop background.
    To connect with desktop background enabled in RDC on XP/Vista/7/8 do the following.

1. Press Win+R
    2. Type mstsc.exe and press Enter.
    3. Click on Options.
    4. Click on Experience tab and check the option Desktop background.
    5. Click on General tab.
    6. Provide your computer name or IP, your credentials and click on Connect.

3. Thanks to DonWilliams from:

AJWhite1970 (9th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered leaving it blank, backgrounds destroy performance if you happen to be on a slower or less reliable link like remoting in from outside.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Have you considered leaving it blank, backgrounds destroy performance if you happen to be on a slower or less reliable link like remoting in from outside.
    Agreed.

Or if you really want one then maybe just a single colour with the School name. Nothing too fancy as can be bad for performance.

7. Thanks to snagrat from:

Thank Post
    Hi and thanks for your replies.

I already set a very basic user desktop background using BGInfo with just plain blue and a couple of lines of text in the bottom corner and that works fine.

What I was looking to do was use a customized wallpaper for the login/lock screen rather than the user desktop background. I can do this on a standard Windows 7 PC by editing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background\ OEMBackground=1 and putting the file in C:\Windows\System32\Oobe\info\backgrounds but RDP appears to ignore this setting.

Like I said, not a biggie, was just playing with it last week

Thanks again
    Andrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread