+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, First experience of ZooStorm not Brilliant in Technical; Originally Posted by synaesthesia Just bought quite a few via CP Ltd (luckily, means we haven't got to deal with ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Just bought quite a few via CP Ltd (luckily, means we haven't got to deal with zoostorm!). They're badged as Education machines though, so they absolutely should recognise the network side of things!
    All i'll say is good luck. Ugh really disappointed in their systems, hopefully you'll get a different model of Motherboard in your machines! *Fingers crossed*

Thank Post
    I would be nice if someone from zoostorm could address these issues here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not massively worried; the chassis is the same one that VeryPC use, we have those too and they're solid, the internals are something we'd buy anyway (that brand motherboard, ssd, ram). A driver/bios issue isn't something we'd worry about and I can shout louder than most when things go breasts up!

Thank Post
    The ones we get have i3 processors, a 320gb hard drive (usually WD Blue), a gigabyte or Asus motherboard, a cheap DVD drive (they are still going to get broken by a kid at some point, no matter how well built!), a stick of branded value range RAM and a cheap PSU. All the machines that have developed faults tend to be either a stick of ram failing or the PSU failing. If I was buying parts, the only thing I would have increased was the PSU and get a branded not a cheap value one. If you buy cheap, then you can't really moan if the service isn't as good as you expect.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will do a side by side comparison of the Very and the Zoo's

6. 2 Thanks to synaesthesia:

Garacesh (9th June 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Not directly related to this, but I've come to the conclusion over the years that if you want stable network connections, use Intel on-board or get a slot in Intel card if possible. Realtek cards have not been kind to me over the years, nor have Qualcomm Atheros chips. I wish all manufacturers making Intel based motherboards simply used Intel cards. So many quirks could be avoided!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
    Not directly related to this, but I've come to the conclusion over the years that if you want stable network connections, use Intel on-board or get a slot in Intel card if possible. Realtek cards have not been kind to me over the years, nor have Qualcomm Atheros chips. I wish all manufacturers making Intel based motherboards simply used Intel cards. So many quirks could be avoided!
    Indeed, I sent a batch of Lenovos back because they shipped with a Realtek NIC instead of the usual Intel one. It's been the biggest worry I have about moving to MSI boards in the new Stone machines now Intel have stopped making motherboards. Realtek are OK for sound cards but their network drivers have been consistently poor. Wouldn't touch anything ASUS with a very long barge pole either...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Intels Nic hardware may be better but their drivers are terrible, half the time the cards aren't even recognize by their own drivers as they get the hardware ids mixed up. Their default setting of not waiting for the link to come up before reporting it is junky too.

Tbh i prefer hp broadcom stuff but Intel is a second. I WISH I had been able to send back a batch of Lenovos with junk nic's in them. That is one reason why I steer clear of them as they are built with whatever components are left on the bench that day so their driver lists for a single model are pages long and full of stuff your one may not even have. /rant
    Last edited by SYNACK; 9th June 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Had similar issue with Asus Board with Nvidia NIC - possible solution here:. Worked on my home PC anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Had similar issue with Asus Board with Nvidia NIC - possible solution here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979464. Worked on my home PC anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you want a simple solution, come get some nic cards from me. I've got loads, and they're cheap...

Or, since all my HP, Dell & Lenovo refurbs come with either an intel or broadcom nic, you could just buy those and enjoy the fantastic price, service and warranty that we provide

12. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (27th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Tbh i prefer hp broadcom stuff but Intel is a second. I WISH I had been able to send back a batch of Lenovos with junk nic's in them. That is one reason why I steer clear of them as they are built with whatever components are left on the bench that day so their driver lists for a single model are pages long and full of stuff your one may not even have. /rant
    Yup avoid the Edge series Lenovos like the plague, would rather have a refurb M-Series from ICT Direct that's built with consistent parts than a brand new Edge machine with a lottery of internals

The E-Series laptops seemed OK though

14. Thanks to gshaw from:

ICTDirect_Dave (9th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Intels Nic hardware may be better but their drivers are terrible, half the time the cards aren't even recognize by their own drivers as they get the hardware ids mixed up. Their default setting of not waiting for the link to come up before reporting it is junky too.

You too, huh? Some of Intel's marketing monkeys must have found their way into engineering - product names and device ID's are a mess. The drivers seem to be suffering too as I had an entire lab's worth of Optiplex 780 machines randomly drop link and rolling back drivers fixed it. I don't think I've ever had an issue with a Broadcom NIC. Realtek on the other hand isn't worth silicon that was used to fab the chip.

Thank Post
    One thing that does irritate me with Intel is the fact WoL is disabled by default on the driver install with no simple command line to enable it during setup. Changing it afterwards requires some housing with scripts that adds unnecessary work.

The connection itself is rock solid though. Realtek cards had constant problems with GPOs not applying, domain login issues etc.

Thank Post
    WOL was disabled by default on the h81m-k. I think its a security thing. You can push out a reg key to get WOL enabled windows wise

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Indeed, I sent a batch of Lenovos back because they shipped with a Realtek NIC instead of the usual Intel one. It's been the biggest worry I have about moving to MSI boards in the new Stone machines now Intel have stopped making motherboards. Realtek are OK for sound cards but their network drivers have been consistently poor. Wouldn't touch anything ASUS with a very long barge pole either...
    A lot of the last gen entry Intel desktop boards used realtek network controllers anyways, I was under the impression Store were going to use Pegatron for their boards. MSI tend to have the best BIOS release notes if you have access to the detailed FAE notes which your system builder should have.

Had similar issue with Asus Board with Nvidia NIC - possible solution here:. Worked on my home PC anyway.
    Yeah NVidia phy much fun, I think the problem with ASUS was they never seemed to want to update the NVidia oprom in the BIOS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast