+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 machine wifi connects but cannot browse the web in Technical; Hi there, I have a laptop on my desk in work at it is refusing to browse the web. It ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows 7 machine wifi connects but cannot browse the web

Hi there,

I have a laptop on my desk in work at it is refusing to browse the web. It connects to the wap without issue but will not browse the web.

When running ipconfig /all, everything looks absolutely fine and the DNS details etc are as they should be and all other laptops and PCs are working fine.

When running the troubleshooter I get: The dns server isn't responding.

I have done:
    Updated the wifi adapter driver (plus all the other drivers on the machine)
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ip reset reset.log
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew
    Run AV and anti malware scans
    + other things I can't remember right now.

It will not let me ping anything at all either.

If I connect the machine to the LAN via ethernet, it works straight away.

Anyone got any suggestions for me to try tomorrow before the things ends up going through a window!

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 1,005 Posts

Windows 7 machine wifi connects but cannot browse the web

First two commands I think by the looks of how you have typed the commands don't look correct ( although I could be wrong however I normally do them as typed below ). Also if win vista or 7 then they need to be run from a command prompt running with elevated rights aka run as admin or run as different user ( right click on command prompt and run as admin or hold shift key and then right click and select run as different user and enter your domain admin credentials and ok to run ( click yes if uac prompts to ask if you want to run as admin etc )

Netsh int ip reset

And

Netsh winsock reset

You can put the word catalog afterwards however doing the above commands will work however it just means it wont create a log file. If you do require a log file ensure its done in a directory that you have full access rights to so for example create a new directory on the C:\ drive named 'logs' and the tcp ip reset command would look something like so, obviously you can name the log file anything you want to

Netsh int ip reset C:\logs\tcpip.txt

Also when you say you updated the drivers for the wireless adaptor

1) what make and model of wireless card

2) Does the wifi card have any of its own utilities installed to manage the wireless connection instead of using windows? So can you get windows to deal with and manage wireless instead of any included software

2a) If its an intel wifi card or broadcom etc, download the latest wifi driver from there site and not the computer manufacturers website first for the correct make and model of wifi card, then remove and delete the driver via device manager, obviously install the latest driver from the network card manufacturers site that you just downloaded ( just the driver only )

3) Have you or can you install a different web browser ie firefox or opera and try again ?

4) Does the web browser require any proxy or auto config script settings and presume these are being applied on the client correctly - may need to ensure firefox / opera or browser of choice have these configured manually and then test?

5) Can you ping the proxy server / default gateway ?

6) Does the hosts file have any additional entries or is it default ?

7) Reset the windows firewall to default settings to ensure that the windows firewall is not blocking traffic from web browsers. Also what anti virus or anti malware apps are on the pc, again wondering if they are maybe causing issues to browse the web ie integrated firewall or web protection in any additional av software ??

Can you disable them temporarily and test to see if that helps, maybe even boot into safe mode with networking and see if you can browse the web

I presume other computers can access the internet and browse the web ok

If all else fails ensure the wireless card and antennae cables are re seated and try again. If its still the same maybe faulty wireless card

You able to test wifi under a linux live disc or maybe time to re image

Some thoughts..........
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 5th June 2014 at 09:11 PM.

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

bodminman (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    @SYNACK @Arthur @seawolf or anyone else have any other ideas or thoughts ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This laptop was working fine yesterday. It was shutdown after use and this issue has occurred today after it was started up again.

We use Lightspeed here.

1) what make and model of wireless card

Dell Wireless 1702 802.11 b/g/n - Latest driver installed today

2) Does the wifi card have any of its own utilities installed to manage the wireless connection instead of using windows? So can you get windows to deal with and manage wireless instead of any included software

No other utility controlling wifi

2a) If its an intel wifi card or broadcom etc, download the latest wifi driver from there site and not the computer manufacturers website first for the correct make and model of wifi card, then remove and delete the driver via device manager, obviously install the latest driver from the network card manufacturers site that you just downloaded ( just the driver only )

Latest driver installed today and the old one was deleted prior to install

3) Have you or can you install a different web browser ie firefox or opera and try again ?

Installed Chrome and Firefox and both don't work. IE settings do not have any proxy settings enabled which is correct for our setup.

4) Does the web browser require any proxy or auto config script settings and presume these are being applied on the client correctly - may need to ensure firefox / opera or browser of choice have these configured manually and then test?

No proxy or auto config

5) Can you ping the proxy server / default gateway ?

No

6) Does the hosts file have any additional entries or is it default ?

7) Reset the windows firewall to default settings to ensure that the windows firewall is not blocking traffic from web browsers. Also what anti virus or anti malware apps are on the pc, again wondering if they are maybe causing issues to browse the web ie integrated firewall or web protection in any additional av software ??

Can you disable them temporarily and test to see if that helps, maybe even boot into safe mode with networking and see if you can browse the web

Firewall and AV disabled temporarily and still got no

I presume other computers can access the internet and browse the web ok

Absolutely fine

If all else fails ensure the wireless card and antennae cables are re seated and try again. If its still the same maybe faulty wireless card

Checked

You able to test wifi under a linux live disc or maybe time to re image

Good idea. I shall try this tomorrow if I get the chance

6. Thanks to bodminman from:

mac_shinobi (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts
    When you go to the Network and Sharing Center, do you see 'Unidentified Network' next to your wireless connection?

Have you already tried the Route Delete command?

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    When you go to the Network and Sharing Center, do you see 'Unidentified Network' next to your wireless connection?

Have you already tried the Route Delete command?
    Is that using the metric number of the interface to delete said route ??

Thank Post
    With you saying it was working before a shutdown, any chance a Windows Update has messed something over? Can you roll back a day or 2?

Thank Post
    Have you made any changes to the network at all? The other question to ask would be have you got VLANs at all?
    In the mean time have you checked if the machine is registered in DNS if it needs to be on your network?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HTCPCP View Post
    Have you made any changes to the network at all? The other question to ask would be have you got VLANs at all?
    In the mean time have you checked if the machine is registered in DNS if it needs to be on your network?
    So either from command prompt running as admin and ipconfig /registerdns or do you mean manually registering said machine in DNS using either an A or CNAME record ?

Thank Post
    Have you tried an nslookup to make sure everything is correct there?

14. Thanks to jonnykewell1 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Since the laptop is receiving an IP address apparently from the DHCP server, are you able to ping it from another computer? If not, then there may be a firewall causing problems on the laptop. If you can ping the laptop from another computer, but can't ping anything from the laptop then you may want to make sure the Lightspeed or your WiFi system isn't somehow isolating the IP or VLAN your laptop is on. I've seen this happen before on Ruckus WiFi as there is a client isolation mode that can be enabled. You should check the iP in Lightspeed as well to make sure it isn't blocking traffic or hasn't placed it in a rogue clients list.

16. Thanks to seawolf from:

Thank Post
    Mac, it's always worth while checking to see if you can see it in DNS before you run the ipconfig /registerdns

18. Thanks to HTCPCP from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HTCPCP View Post
    Mac, it's always worth while checking to see if you can see it in DNS before you run the ipconfig /registerdns
    I was asking above, I didn't say use the registerdns straight off the bat

Good point and good to know so thanks

If it does not exist in DNS then registerdns from the client or manually create the DNS Record for the client or what exactly ?

Thank Post
    Reset IE settings to defaults, clear all browser history, clear all auto complete history

If it is still the same, if you remove IE from the machine ( so control panel --> programs and features --> turn windows features on / off --> un-check the tick box for IE --> ok and let it do that and reboot

Log back on and check the tick box again , let it apply the settings and reboot again

Log back on and test again

If it is still the same issue then I would suggest as per @seawolf 's comment that it may be related to something else but then if it works under a linux live disc then maybe just related to the windows installation on that machine currently

If it does not work under linux live disc and doing all the things you have done so far then it must be lightspeed or something else that may be effecting it

Presume you are logging on with an AD account that has internet access allowed via security groups / proxy server etc so they are not in a blocked ACL and DHCP is not giving the laptop an ip address or ip address range that will not route externally or to the internet etc ?

Is it a transparent proxy so clients dont require any proxy info ie ip address or pac file etc

Out of curiousty if you use the proxy servers ip address in the proxy settings on port 80 or 8080 does that allow it to browse the web or is that still the same

Is the MAC Address of the wireless card in your lightspeed / proxy server or any firewall to block it ??

Only other thing that springs to mind is I remember someone else having an issue where by the firewall was mis-configured and needed the subnet mask updating so that it encapsulated the whole network as previously they had the wrong subnet mask configured and the firewall did not work with all clients, if it got a certain ip address on the client then they couldn't browse the internet etc

Just guessing here with regards to the above suggestions etc
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 6th June 2014 at 01:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried completely removing the AV and rebooting, some - eset - can and will happily kill all network traffic if they get provoked and need to be uninstalled entirely then put back on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast