+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Ie 11, GPP and targeting on Windows 7 in Technical; Hello Our new head wants to be on unfiltered on his office PC. Obviously I could put a gpp on ...

Thank Post

Ie 11, GPP and targeting on Windows 7

Hello

Our new head wants to be on unfiltered on his office PC.

Obviously I could put a gpp on an ou with him in it, so he would get the unfiltered settings - however when he goes to another PC these won't work.

I tried to therefore use gpp loop back to say if it was his user, on his PC then apply this gpp policy. However it doesn't work.

In gpp, I only have the option to set policies for IE 8, but I understand 11 would use this? It also doesn't appear to loose the proxy settings even if I put it in an ou and exclude policies on the user, it won't change the default proxy.

Am I doing it right? Is this something gpp loop back can do? If not, should in have a script?

Ideas/help welcomed. Win 7 clients, ie 11, server 2008r2

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattianuk View Post
    In gpp, I only have the option to set policies for IE 8, but I understand 11 would use this?
    See here for the Server 2008R2/IE11 GPP XML tweak: Cannot get IE Proxy Settings to Deploy to Clients - PLEASE HELP!!

You could then use item level targeting (found in the common tab when editing the GPP setting) to apply it to the specific user.

Thank Post
    I tried the item level targetting, thats what I set, I tried using the username option, the IP address, and the PC name. And a combination of them all... will try the fix for the IE gpo, and see if that applies better, thanks

Thank Post
    Okay, so done the IE GPP settings change, and that appears to be working. For the targetting, in the editor I have said if user x OR user Y AND IP address of XXXXX

Yet it is still applying on a PC which doesn't have that IP. I have tried it with PC Name as well, and that made no difference.

Do I need to set GPP targeting settings anywhere else?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You probably need to look at your school policy documents about filtering. Filtering is there for a reason in schools, and that reason is safeguarding.

The head does not have the right to arbitrarily violate safeguarding measures.

You should kick the request upstairs, or if he is your direct line manager, over to the deputy head.

(I'm assuming you are in the UK)

Thank Post
    I am aware of that, and have checked it with the safeguarding SMT. Our unfiltered still filters for certain categories. It mainly allows downloads of files.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough.

Have you checked that you don't have any old iem settings lurking around? They've been known to cause issues by overriding GPP settings occasionally.

Thank Post
    In the end I have given up, and used a script I found, all he has to do is run it when he is not on his PC and switch it to filtered. He was happy to change the settings each time, so he will be fine with this I think.

the gpp was changing the settings to the new proxy, so that side was working, but it wasn't not applying it if it didnt meet the target settings

Still confused why it wouldnt work...

Thank Post
    IE 11 settings cannot be viewed correctly unless you're using Windows 8\Server 2012. Under the group policy preferences you should see an option for IE11 (assuming you have loaded in the IE11 template)

You should then be able to create a loopback computer part setting and configure the user part IE11 settings, and item level target this to the user requiring the access

Apply the policy to "Domain Computers" and the user account requiring the access. This would enable this user to have these settings everywhere he went but no others would receive them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread