+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Dropbox: RM and Roaming Profiles in Technical; Hi All, Has anyone managed to get the Dropbox client working on RM CC4? I have installed it but after ...

Thank Post

Dropbox: RM and Roaming Profiles

Hi All,

Has anyone managed to get the Dropbox client working on RM CC4?

I have installed it but after attempting to login, it just loops back around to the login screen again with no error.

I suspect this is down to some strange RM permission or profile setting somewhere. Dropbox relies on the %APPDATA% and %HOMEPATH% variables. When logging in, it sets up a folder at %HOMEPATH% (which on a normal computer is C:\Users\username); on RM %HOMEPATH% points to the root of C:. It could be this causing an issue or it might be another RM setting somewhere.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Nick

Thank Post
    Never could get it to work.

I use it for myself pointing to a folder on my C:\Dropbox on my PC, but it doesn't sync my N:\

Thank Post
    Were you able to get it working on drive C though Sylv3r? I can't get it to login at all.....

Thank Post
    Mine worked linked through to a folder on my D: drive in my machine up until last friday, don't know whats changed, i've checked and nothing really has!!

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but to no avail. Just loops, goes back to login screen, but on my dropbox account online it ends up showing the computer connected.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFreeman View Post
    Mine worked linked through to a folder on my D: drive in my machine up until last friday, don't know whats changed, i've checked and nothing really has!!

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but to no avail. Just loops, goes back to login screen, but on my dropbox account online it ends up showing the computer connected.
    Are you connecting through a Proxy ?

Thank Post
    I know the question wasn't direct at me but yes, I am. I tried installing Dropbox on a 'vanilla' laptop (none-RM) going through the same connection/proxy.... and it works fine when set to 'auto-detect'. This makes me think that it must be an RM permission/setting somewhere causing the problem.

It might be worth noting that if I set the proxy to manual on my RM CC4 station, after attempting to login, it automatically reverts back to 'auto-detect'. I again suspect this is a permission setting somewhere which is preventing me from making this change permanent (I am logged on as admin)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nick3young View Post
    I know the question wasn't direct at me but yes, I am. I tried installing Dropbox on a 'vanilla' laptop (none-RM) going through the same connection/proxy.... and it works fine when set to 'auto-detect'. This makes me think that it must be an RM permission/setting somewhere causing the problem.

It might be worth noting that if I set the proxy to manual on my RM CC4 station, after attempting to login, it automatically reverts back to 'auto-detect'. I again suspect this is a permission setting somewhere which is preventing me from making this change permanent (I am logged on as admin)
    Can you manually change the permissions of the directory where dropbox.exe resides ?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/23/en

https://www.dropbox.com/help/159/en

Thank Post
    Yep, I have tried manually changing permissions and the suggestions in both of those threads (e.g. firewall changes). No luck sadly.

Thank Post
    We advised staff who wanted to use drop box to use the web app, it works and no installation needed.

Thank Post
    Yes we are using a proxy, it used to work fine on auto detect settings, i've tried manually inputting them as well.

My permissions seem all ok.

Web app is no good for me really, i edit lots of different files and want them to sync without the need of me manually uploading them.

Thank Post
    It is really odd. I have a call open with RM now so I will update with any suggestions....

Thank Post
    sounds like a problem ki had yesterday roaming profiels but everything is redirected insall dropbox fine but it just wont login. The older version crashes windows explorer the newer one accepts details goes away then asks for details again. No proxy server in the school using a netasq box thats transparant (gets permissions from ad). Vanilla network. Wonder if it dosent like roaming profiles possibly

Thank Post
    Yep, my money is on roaming profiles Sted. Just out of interest, if you go to 'run' and type %homepath% before hitting enter, what does it bring up?

Thank Post
    @nick3young yeah it works no problem for me via the C:\ going through our smoothwall box.

Been sitting working for around 18months now and I have the latest version installed of the dropbox client.

Thank Post
    ... and you're just on a bog standard CC4 network Sylv3r? Where does your %homepath% point to?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread