+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, IE network proxy keeps reverting in Technical; Hi all, I have just taken over as the temporary IT tech at a school in Lancs and this problem ...

Thank Post

IE network proxy keeps reverting

Hi all,
    I have just taken over as the temporary IT tech at a school in Lancs and this problem has cropped up

Basically the network changed just before Easter and the IE proxy had to be changed. The Windows 7 desktops were all changed and worked fine.
    After Easter I took over and a couple of machines wouldn't connect - no problem - I just changed the proxy from an admin account and all was well
    However, the number of machines has increased and the problem comes back on machines I had previously changed.

Obviously the group policy would seem to be the culprit. I got the support company to check it out and we spent several hours checking them out on Thursday evening and all the group policies that were in use seemed to be OK - a few old proxy setting were present but were not being used anywhere and we have now deleted these anyway. The support guy thinks it is to do with the Default user on the machine having the old proxy and SOMETIMES when a user logs on this setting is picked up rather that the new one.

I am not so sure he is right - even if this is actually a possible problem.

Firstly - why does it appear to occur at random - this would make sense if it only happened when the network was busy and so a timeout triggered and the machine went off to find proxy setting from somewhere local - but why would it use the default proxy setting rather than setting for this user held locally?? (and it is always for a user that has previously used this machine)

My feeling is that the best fix would be to delete all the locally help profiles on the affected machines and see what happens.

The support guy's preferred fix at the moment is to copy the NTUSER.DAT from a machine he has fixed onto all the other machines - or at least the machines with the same hardware.

I would be grateful so the opinions of anyone on this

ALSO - is DELFROF2 reliable to do this??

Thanks in Advance

Mike

p.s. I am not saying the support guy is wrong - he knows a lot more than I do - I just want a second opinion (and third, fourth etc)

Thank Post
    1) what version IE?
    2) was ie installed with the customisation tool? as settings in there override AD
    3) Have you checked the result of group policy?
    4) maybe use GPP to directly set the proxy with registry changes?

Thank Post
    Also, we used to use delprof2, it worked well when we needed to bulk clear profiles. We now use the GP setting to delete profiles older than x days.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply - I think it is IE9 -and I have no idea how it was installed (As I say - I've only been there 4 days!)

I need to do some more experimenting with it on Monday to check which (if any) group policy is being applied. I am just trying to get a plan together to sort it out over the weekend.

Thanks again

Mike

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Someone of my acquaintance had a similar issue recently. He made some rough and ready notes which may help you here.

6. Thanks to psydii from:

mikeprice (27th April 2014)

Thank Post
    I've had similar issues and it must be linked to the local profiles, I just put a shortcut to a script on the desktop to reset the proxy settings for users and pushed the same reg settings through GPP.

8. Thanks to ChrisH from:

mikeprice (27th April 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread