+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Printer disappears and login then reappears at relogin in Technical; Hello all, Hope everyone had a good Easter. Since moving our admin and curriculum to one domain, admin are having ...

Thank Post

Printer disappears and login then reappears at relogin

Hello all,

Hope everyone had a good Easter.

Since moving our admin and curriculum to one domain, admin are having a problem that now and again their printers will disappear and it will not let them add a new one. If they logout then re-login the printer will be back and working fine.

The servers are running Server 2008r2 and the PCs are Window 7. The GPOs are the same over admin and curriculum just in different OU's.

The printers are added via GPO -> User Configuration -> Preferences -> Control Panel Settings -> Printers
    The printers are set on replace and as I was previously have issues with printers following people I also have a delete all policy. The add printer is 2 and the delete is 1 in the running order.

Any ideas why the printers are disappearing will be a great help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you updated the drivers to the latest, dodgy drivers crash out the spooler and make the whole lot disappear. Try restarting the spooler service, if they come bad it is probably a spoiler crash, probably because of universally bad printer drivers.

Thank Post
    Take a look at the printer security settings. If the users do not have the correct permissions, the printer wont be added even if you have applied a gpo to there OU.

Also - I have also used update for printers in the gpos. It could be possible, as your using replace, and a remove gpo that the computer is getting confused.

You might like to try on one of the pcs that you cannot see a printer (nor add one) to run gpresult /r in cmd, and see if the printer policy applied to the computer at all. I would also remove the gpo that removes any printer, and try just to add the printer. If the gpo is applied, this would point to a permissions issue to me.

(hope that made sense - its too early for gp queries :S )
    Last edited by cooka; 23rd April 2014 at 09:02 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information