+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, deny shortcuts to the C: in Technical; Hi guys, I know this has been discussed a little on here in other threads but I couldn't really find ...

Thank Post

deny shortcuts to the C:

Hi guys,

I know this has been discussed a little on here in other threads but I couldn't really find a definitive answer so I hope you don't mind me posting this question again for further discussion.

We currently have c: hidden and we have used the reg edit to remove the "create shortcut" in the context menu. (cant disable right click as it affects other programs). This is all good, however if they create a shortcut at home and bring it in on a memory stick they will still have access to c:

Whats peoples thoughts on this and the best way to prevent this ?

Cheers

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    My thought is that this is a losing game. Even if you lock this down all it takes is one of the apps you have to run to use a non-standard browsing tool to allow people to see the c:\ drive. Secure the c:\ drive properly using NTFS permissions (users only need to be able to write to their own user area), remember that there are (or should not be) any state secrets on there anyway, and get on with your day. That's what we do here and we've not had any problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The best solution: Use GPO to hide the drive, but don't restrict access to it (it breaks the search functionality of the start menu). Ensure that your users are not running as admins and use GPO to hide and restrict access to folders that they do need in program files.

Thank Post
    Its annoying cos all Microsoft would need to do is prevent the creation/use of shortcuts to hidden drives.... problem solved...

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    I honestly don't get what is so annoying about it. The students already know that your computers have a local hard drive installed with files on it. If they can change things you don't want them to change then the problem is that your permissions are set incorrectly, not that the students can see something they already know is there.

Thank Post
    Aye generally we don't bother. C's hidden for users, Permissions locked on it. Nothing they can do/touch/edit, that they couldn't run themselves anyway.

Don't think you can physically lock the shortcut issue without a lot of permissions breaking stuff

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread